C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, gasket or something blew after hard acceleration

Old 10-02-2017, 04:14 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

I suggest you change you oil right now and cut open your old filter to see if there is any metal in it. I'm still worried about where the metal from the old cams wiped lobes went. If it happened over a long period of time you might be OK but if the lobes wiped suddenly then there may be a problem going forward.
Glad you figured out your rough running problem.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:45 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If the cam and (we have to assume) the lifters were changed to a higher lift cam, the valve springs probably are not up to the task. Not enough seat or open pressure, coil bind, spring stack, you name it Could even have broken a spring or two.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM
BakedPotato65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Punisher
could you give me a link to where you bought your cam from. Thanks
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/crn-100172/none/images
Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 PM
BakedPotato65
Advanced

Originally Posted by theandies
I suggest you change you oil right now and cut open your old filter to see if there is any metal in it. I'm still worried about where the metal from the old cams wiped lobes went. If it happened over a long period of time you might be OK but if the lobes wiped suddenly then there may be a problem going forward.
Glad you figured out your rough running problem.
I believe the lobes were wiped slowly and not all of the sudden. Earlier this year the night before going to a car show, I heard some ticking in the engine. I pulled the valve cover and found that one of the rockers was loose. I tightened it until the noise stopped. Since then the engine has been pretty quiet. As of now after putting maybe 3-4 hours of driving on the new cam, I've had zero noises or issues with the cam and valvetrain. The car runs a whole lot smoother at 2500rpm cruising, it feels like a luxury car. The old cam made the car feel really shaky. I didn't really notice this until driving with the new cam.
A lot of people said this cam might be too much for a low compression engine, but I think it was a huge improvement from the stock cam. The cam easily breaks the tires loose in 1st while moving, no clutch kicking just more throttle. It's a totally different car than what it used to be.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 PM
BakedPotato65
Advanced

Could somebody give me an estimate as to what HP and TQ numbers this engine might be pushing, (flywheel)? I'm estimating at least around 250hp, 320tq

L48 350
Holley 670 Street Avenger Carb
Edelbrock Performer EPS 2701 Intake
1 5/8 3in collector Hooker Headers
Crane 274H06 cam, .450 lift, 274 duration, 106 lobe separation
Stock heads
Stock bottom end

Thanks for your time
Old 10-03-2017, 02:59 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BakedPotato65
Could somebody give me an estimate as to what HP and TQ numbers this engine might be pushing, (flywheel)? I'm estimating at least around 250hp, 320tq

L48 350
Holley 670 Street Avenger Carb
Edelbrock Performer EPS 2701 Intake
1 5/8 3in collector Hooker Headers
Crane 274H06 cam, .450 lift, 274 duration, 106 lobe separation
Stock heads
Stock bottom end

Thanks for your time
I would think you are looking at a solid 280 to 300 horses, you will have a lot of area under the curve in the low and midrange with the tight (low LSA) cam but your peak numbers should still be up close to 300. My guess for torque would be 360 to 380. Your Achilles would be the heads, with the lift you are now pushing you will stress those valve springs quickly. Sounds like you made a real positive change in the car's performance though, congrats on that!

Good luck, Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, gasket or something blew after hard acceleration