C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture on INSIDE of glass areas

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:36 AM
PopsToys
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture on INSIDE of glass areas

I recently had ALL the rubber replaced - t-tops, doors, glass, etc.

Now I have a moisture problem in the interior, in the morning.

I found wet rugs a few days after retrieving my 1980 from a "reputable" restoration company - I think they left the windows open during a rain storm.

I have opened the doors during the day and removed the t-tops for max ventilation - rugs dried but am still having a moisture problem.

What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance, Pops.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Pops,
It sounds like the padding under the carpet might still be wet or the seat foam may be wet.
Could that be?
Regards,
Alan

It's often difficult to get the carpet padding to dry without removing it so the air can actually get to it.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-03-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:10 AM
PopsToys
Cruising

Thanks - will check it out!!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:04 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Take it back to said "reputable" facility and have them correct the problem.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 AM
PopsToys
Cruising

Default Interior Moisture

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Take it back to said "reputable" facility and have them correct the problem.
I would but there were a multitude of items they screwed up - Did not connect speedo after having speedo/tach housing out; did not complete installation of passenger door panel; window switches were installed incorrectly (one is correct, the other is upside down) - Just little things they should have Q/A'd before telling me it was complete.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:02 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Run your fingers up around the heater box under the dash to make sure your heater core is not leaking. Pull up your carpet and let the padding dry out. If there is moisture between the pad and floor, make sure it isn't mixed with coolant.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:29 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Restored?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by PopsToys
...I think they left the windows open during a rain storm...
Originally Posted by resdoggie
...Take it back to said "reputable" facility and have them correct the problem...
Originally Posted by PopsToys
...I would but there were a multitude of items they screwed up...little things they should have Q/A'd before telling me it was complete...
Isn't that even more reason to take it back?
Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

As for the moisture issue. IF your jute is wet that is under your carpet. It needs to be taken out and dried and can take some time to do so.

Then while the carpet is out.... at that time is when you water test your car for water leaks. I do it this way so I am not getting new carpet wet and it allows me to make sure the interior of the car is not getting flooded...which can happen if people who install w/strips do not know what they are doing and 'assume' that all is good. I ahve had many Corvettes that were A/C and non A/C cars and when they were water tested....the right side plenum would fill up due to being plugged and water would flow into the car like a river through the air vent in the right or left hinge post.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Isn't that even more reason to take it back?

Do as you wish but this is my opinion on the matter.

By not holding them accountable for the type of work that they do...and seem to be more than glad to charge you for...it is a crying shame. When I read threads like this and people just do nothing and thus....it is basically letting that shop know they can keep doing poor work....and therefore the problem never goes away.

I know most people who go out to eat breakfast at some restaurant and when they got their food..... would not eat the uncooked bacon, raw eggs, crunchy grits and burnt toast....or would they...and still be glad to pay for it????

I run a shop where stuff like that does not happen and when I see it is happening to people...it makes my profession look bad due to some shops do not care....and then I am questioned because the previous shop screwed them. I am guilty just because I do mechanical/body work. Then I have to let them know they are NOT going to get screwed over by me and if they want to... .check a round and find out how solid my reputation is.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-03-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:51 AM
PopsToys
Cruising

Originally Posted by croaker
Restored?
No, just refurbished interior - new rugs, seats, door/window/t-top rubber and gauges.

Get notified of new replies

To Moisture on INSIDE of glass areas

Quick Reply: Moisture on INSIDE of glass areas