C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small job, but it still sucked!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Small job, but it still sucked!

I've had a power steering leak all this year and I just kept adding power steering fluid. My main excuse for not fixing it was that I blew out my knee in early may and I was barely able to get around.

Ya I waited till it was a oily mess before driving down to summit and picking up a new pump. I have the pulley puller /installer tools. I put in a new pump and HP hoses after spraying it down with degreaser and later water.

I couldn't find a trick aftermarket pump and remote reservoir like I've seen on some track c-3's. Does anyone on here have some trick setup.

I also use a 9X11 auto tranny cooler to keep the heat down and it seems to help the pump last for years. I also have geared my pump so it does less rpm. Just like the alternaters need gearing change for motors that can do over 7000 rpm

Last edited by gkull; 10-05-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Check out KRC pumps. They can take all the rpm you can give them The local circle track parts house sold me one after numerous OEM type failures. T
Old 10-05-2017, 10:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on KRC best bang for the buck

Chris Jones racing sells some nice ones, speedway motors & Turn 1 another source

Last edited by cv67; 10-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

After more attempts than I care to admit, I ended up with a Type 2 pump that I shimmed myself, a Chase Bays remote reservoir, and a front mounted cooler. I really struggled to get rid of a pump groan/fluid aeration problem. Swapping the KRC reservoir for the Chase Bays, adding the cooler, and changing the fluid from Royal Purple to good 'ole GM fluid finally cured it. The plumbing for the remote reservoir was also really tough on a big block because everything is so close to the upper control arm.

Get notified of new replies

To Small job, but it still sucked!

Quick Reply: Small job, but it still sucked!