C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 c3 brake bleeding, the bane of my existence

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CMax1981
Hi all. I have a 74 stingray that i recently pulled out of long term storage. With new fuel and a new battery, she started right up. All was well until i pressed the brake pedal and it sank to the floor as the brake light came on. I read up that the brake light was because the apv was triggered. I installed a new master cylinder (bled with bleeder kit that came with it) but the brakes were still stinking to the floor though they were tougher to push. I proceeded to try to bleed them. I crawled under and unscrewed a line from the apv which re centered the pin i guess because the light went off.

Whenever i opened the bleeder on the passenger rear, nothing came out. I attached a hose to the bleeder and tried to suck the fluid through but while i was able to suck air through, no fluid came. I'm working alone on it and can't really get a helper and I'm also on a serious budget. What would be the next step in troubleshooting be?

Thanks
CMax

All you have to do is take the master cylinder lid OFF, fill it completely full, then crack the bleeders open one at a time until you see a steady drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip. And while they're dripping keep the master cylinder full because if it runs dry air will get into the brake lines again.

And your master cylinder push rod needs to be adjusted short enough to allow a TINY bit of brake pedal movement before the rod touches the piston in the master cylinder.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I like to save money just like the next guy, but when it comes to something really important like brakes and not rear-ending somebody, I'm not a tight-wad.
Rebuild kits on the back calipers, maybe.
Rebuild kits on the front? Never, spend another $50 and do it right.
If you can find new callipers for 70 bucks order me 10....i plan on buying a couple more vettes...locally here they are 200-250 for last line...first line(ss-new) will cost 300 plus....my callipers looked like new BECAUSE they were SS...kits here are 25+....if you dont feel comfortable rebuilding a calliper, maybe you should consider having your replacement work inspected as well. Personally, im not comfortable relying on 3rd world country's mass pruducing parts that have close to a 50 percent fail rate.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:13 PM
san
Instructor

Originally Posted by kansas123
And, I would (and did) replace the brake hoses all the way around too. In the rear, I replaced the hard lines also (only because I had to twist off one of the fittings when replacing calipers back there). Those hoses can collapse after a period of time causing problems. And for what's it worth, I tried the traditional 2 person bleeding, and mighty (sh*tty) vac, to no avail; pressure bleeding did the trick for me. Patience is key! good luck.

I MEAN: GRAVITY BLEEDING DID THE TRICK FOR ME. BE PATIENT WITH ME AS WELL I GUESS...........SORRY
Maybe the second person wasnt holding brake down hard, or letting it up after it collapses during bleeder brake...i prefer to use a jig or stick to hold pedal after i pump them up. We have all had bad experiences with brakes. The vacuumn is just that a vacuum...it tends to lock the proportioning valve which wont let any fluid through...but hey...i bet your PV is nice and free now!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:22 PM
san
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
That is good advise except in the rear you must bleed the inner first then the outers.
Your right....i actually worded that wrong...suppose to be inner, inner, outer, outer, then inner twice more to check for air...it takes from 8-10 full flow pumps for fluid to make it back to calliper. So any lines opened or air introduced takes alot of fluid to get pushed all the way back.....and ideally you should do the back callipers twice.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:32 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by san
Your right....i actually worded that wrong...suppose to be inner, inner, outer, outer, then inner twice more to check for air...it takes from 8-10 full flow pumps for fluid to make it back to calliper. So any lines opened or air introduced takes alot of fluid to get pushed all the way back.....and ideally you should do the back callipers twice.
I believe its:
Right rear Inner
Right rear Outer
Left rear Inner
Left rear Outer
Then fronts.
I never heard of applied vacuum locking the Proportioning Valve. For that valve to trip, it takes substantial pressure from the brake pedal and loss of pressure somewhere down stream. That is why you must insert the $15) centering tool in the P.V. if you insist on using the "pedal-pump" method. That tool is not needed with the vacuum or Motive bleeding methods. Those will not trip the PV.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-07-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have two words for this: SPEED BLEEDERS
They work much better and easier.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:12 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Sounds like you have something else going here...bleeding a C3 brake system is not hard IF the system is operating correctly which your's clearly is not with stuck brake proportioning valve, master cylinder issues, no fluid coming from a caliper bleed screw etc. I have probably gravity bled my system 10X since 1983 and with no special tricks, special sequence of bleed screws on a particular caliper, etc....always start with the caliper farthest from the MC and bleed forward towards the front of the car....I could not even tell you what bled screw I do first on a particular caliper..You need to identify what is wrong first before attempting a simple brake bleed, otherwise you will just spin your wheels with this issue.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 10-08-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:08 PM
CMax1974
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update!

I wanted to give everyone an update :

I went to remove to passenger rear caliper and the connector that screws the brake line into the caliper is rounded off and i cant get it to budge. I'm going to use a torch to try and heat up the area around the connection to try and break it free. if that doesn't work, i'll probably take it to my mechanic guy. I'm all about fixing my own vehicles, and i read in a post on this board that if you're going to own an old corvette, ya better not be scared to work on it. My dad always had problems with the brakes on this car, so it's looking like a whole new system is in order. I was able to bleed all the other calipers just fine, I removed the PR caliper (except for the brake line) and what little i could see, the pistons looked fine, but i wasn't able to completely remove them so.. that's not much to go on.

I have about 75% brakes as it is, I drove it for a couple miles today and when i went to bleed the brakes earlier, a little fluid came out of the bleeder screws, so fluid is getting there, just not much. I agree with the post that no expense should be spared for a proper brake system. My car is too nice, to drive it without proper brakes. I have noticed driving it, that when you pass someone on a 2 way street, they stop looking at the road and look at your car as you all pass, all the while veering into your lane.

I'll report back with my progress.

Thanks again for all the helpful info!

Corey
Old 10-12-2017, 08:58 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Hit that brake line connection on the caliper with some PB Blaster, wait a few minutes then try a line wrench. If it snaps off, its a short line for $12 from Vette suppliers. Just make sure you block off feed line with something while waiting for your new part. Otherwise you will drain the master. I don't like putting vise-grips on rubber brakelines. I think that is a bad policy
Old 10-14-2017, 02:14 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by CMax1981

I have noticed driving it, that when you pass someone on a 2 way street, they stop looking at the road and look at your car as you all pass, all the while veering into your lane.

Corey
Yes, I have noticed that happening on occasion....that's why I am anxious to get my stupid horn fixed........
Old 10-28-2017, 04:18 PM
CMax1974
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

I wanted to update everyone on whats going on with my brakes.

The LH Front caliper was busted so I replaced it with a new one and broke the brass line installing it, I changed the Hose and line from the APV to the caliper and my brakes are now holding without dropping to the floor.

My dad has had problems with the brakes since he bought it and he was a busy guy so he always sent it to mechanics to fix it, now looking at the brakes, almost every flange nut is rounded off since his mechanic buddies didn't have the proper wrenches, some even have
grooves on them where i assume vice grips were used to tighten them.

There is still no fluid coming to the RH Rear caliper so i assume there a blockage somewhere. I've ordered the brake line and hose kit from Zip Corvette so i'm just going to just change out every line and hose from the APV on back. I at least have the proper flange brake
line wrenches so nothing will be rounded off. I have a new caliper for the RH Rear ordered so i'll change it too when i make my way back there.

Now after this i need to fix my horn and the temp gauge..

It's been a bunch of BS but i'm making progress!!

Thanks for the help everyone!

CMax1981

Quick Reply: 1974 c3 brake bleeding, the bane of my existence