C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 04:23 PM
truckerlary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fuel Injection

Was watching a video of the Fi Tech fuel injection system using the command control center. What they did was remove the float assembly from the command center and plumbed the vent to return fuel back to the tank to keep the fuel cooler. My question is my 75 has the return line from the manual pump. Could the manual pump be replaced with a pump without the return port and then plumb the return from the command center into the return line that was being used by the manual pump to return the fuel back to the tank. My thoughts are since the fuel will be free flowing thru the command center there would be no need to keep a return line hooked to the manual pump. Any thoughts on this? Thanks Larry
Old 10-05-2017, 04:44 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerlary
Was watching a video of the Fi Tech fuel injection system using the command control center. What they did was remove the float assembly from the command center and plumbed the vent to return fuel back to the tank to keep the fuel cooler. My question is my 75 has the return line from the manual pump. Could the manual pump be replaced with a pump without the return port and then plumb the return from the command center into the return line that was being used by the manual pump to return the fuel back to the tank. My thoughts are since the fuel will be free flowing thru the command center there would be no need to keep a return line hooked to the manual pump. Any thoughts on this? Thanks Larry

I'm confused. Does the Fi Tech fuel injection system require a high pressure pump mounted near the fuel tank? And then your mechanical pump wouldn't be needed? If so the existing 1/4" return line might be big enough to handle the volume of returning fuel.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:20 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been thinking about doing this myself for some time. I agree that you shouldn't need the return from the mechanical pump - I run a return line from my QF carb and do not run a return from the pump itself (of course you have to have a non-return mechanical pump).

In the case of the Fitech FCC, the mechanical pump feeds it just like it would a carb; the return from the FCC should be the only return you need.

71VetteLover - Steve, the Fitech Command Center system uses the engine's mechanical pump to feed fuel into a high-pressure pump inside the FCC, creating the higher fuel pressures needed for the throttle body.

Last edited by cooper9811; 10-05-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (04-24-2018)
Old 10-05-2017, 07:22 PM
truckerlary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
I'm confused. Does the Fi Tech fuel injection system require a high pressure pump mounted near the fuel tank? And then your mechanical pump wouldn't be needed? If so the existing 1/4" return line might be big enough to handle the volume of returning fuel.
I guess you're not familiar with Fi Techs command center. It is a canister with an electric pump inside. You run a fuel line from your manual pump to the canister which in turn pumps fuel to the throttle body with the electric pump inside the canister.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yes, you could do as you ask.

You could also buy a $50 tank off Ebay which uses a '044 Bosch pump and would do about the same thing.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Yes, you could do as you ask.

You could also buy a $50 tank off Ebay which uses a '044 Bosch pump and would do about the same thing.
I am using a RobbMc power surge tank with the Sniper EFI .. the stock 1/4 in return line is fine .. RoobbMc said to cap the fuel pump return port. I have not driven the car yet only ran it in the garage and it seems to be working ok ..

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Injection

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection