C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help and suggestions for 350 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:59 PM
FearedEffect
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help and suggestions for 350 build

Hi everyone I don’t know a ton about these cars I’m 28 and have only ever even owned one other carburetors vehicle. I’m hoping to get some information and useful tips on what would be s good direction to go in with my motor.

I just bought a 1974 and it came with a non original motor. Looks like it was originally a 145 hp 2 barrel engine from 73. It has 3986388 heads which I think are original to the motor? A quadrajet carb has also been added. Motor runs okay.

What I’d like for my car is a good solid street motor. Something I can actually drive. I’d like it to run efficiently and smooth. I’d like more than 145hp but I’m not looking to hit the track or anything. Something that feels like it’s actually a performance vehicle and can take advantage of the 4 barrel carb but not so obnoxious that I wouldn’t wanna hop in it to run to the store.

So my question is this I imagine these heads probably have to go to expect a performance level of even a 74 l88? I currently need exhaust redone as well as it’s in bad shape. I don’t really wanna spend the cash for a zz4 or something, but if it makes way more sense to get a crate than build this motor I’d do it.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FearedEffect
Hi everyone I don’t know a ton about these cars I’m 28 and have only ever even owned one other carburetors vehicle. I’m hoping to get some information and useful tips on what would be s good direction to go in with my motor.

I just bought a 1974 and it came with a non original motor. Looks like it was originally a 145 hp 2 barrel engine from 73. It has 3986388 heads which I think are original to the motor? A quadrajet carb has also been added. Motor runs okay.

What I’d like for my car is a good solid street motor. Something I can actually drive. I’d like it to run efficiently and smooth. I’d like more than 145hp but I’m not looking to hit the track or anything. Something that feels like it’s actually a performance vehicle and can take advantage of the 4 barrel carb but not so obnoxious that I wouldn’t wanna hop in it to run to the store.

So my question is this I imagine these heads probably have to go to expect a performance level of even a 74 l88? I currently need exhaust redone as well as it’s in bad shape. I don’t really wanna spend the cash for a zz4 or something, but if it makes way more sense to get a crate than build this motor I’d do it.

If your present engine doesn't burn much oil I would simply buy an Edelbrock "top end kit" that includes performance aluminum heads, an aluminum intake manifold, and a higher performance hydraulic cam and lifters. Here's an example of a "streetable" combination: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2038

Last edited by 71VetteLover; 10-22-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:40 PM
FearedEffect
Intermediate

Thank you I was thinking something like this. I’d seen some guys talking about using l-98 heads for a cheap upgrade. Probably will go with this something like this Edelbrock package as it’s probably more beginner friendly.

Im going to go through my engine a bit more and make sure she’s decent. I’d like to keep the period 350 I feel it adds something. I’d like to keep the q-jet too. I think it may be the original carburetor for the car.

Probably a dumb question but any exhaust setup that bolts to my current heads will bolt to any other heads I put on my 350. Is this correct?
Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 PM
FearedEffect
Intermediate

BTW the one issue I had noticed was a bit of oil leaking out where the line from the PCV goes up to the carb. I think it’s mostly just because the hose is very old and not attached very well. The engine turns over instantaneously so it makes me feel it’s in good shape, but as I said I’m gonna go through it some more to make sure it’s worth putting money into it.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:09 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by FearedEffect
BTW the one issue I had noticed was a bit of oil leaking out where the line from the PCV goes up to the carb. I think it’s mostly just because the hose is very old and not attached very well. The engine turns over instantaneously so it makes me feel it’s in good shape, but as I said I’m gonna go through it some more to make sure it’s worth putting money into it.
If you are thinking of reusing your bottom end do a compression and leakdown test first before any parts are purchased. How is the oil pressure? Solid vacuum reading?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
If your present engine doesn't burn much oil I would simply buy an Edelbrock "top end kit" that includes performance aluminum heads, an aluminum intake manifold, and a higher performance hydraulic cam and lifters. Here's an example of a "streetable" combination: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2038
I think that cam is a poor choice in any build, especially a low compression base engine. The extremely high advertised duration will drop dynamic compression completely off the table and performance with it. Really need more information to give a solid recommendation, transmission information, rear gear ratio, exhaust configuration, budget. I would recommend hydraulic roller in any upgrade, no matter what, more power everywhere, no flat lobes, no special oil needed, dependable. Long tube headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust with free flowing mufflers is where I would go on the exhaust. as others have stated, compression check, leakdown test, good, solid oil pressure are a must before proceeding. Oil coming out of PCV hose could be an indication of excessive blowby, worn rings.

Last edited by 63mako; 10-23-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help and suggestions for 350 build

Quick Reply: Help and suggestions for 350 build