C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper door solenoid questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Wiper door solenoid questions

Evidently my wiper door solenoid was not connected correctly. The yellow line was connected to the end where the filter was supposed to be and the other end by the electrical connection was open. I pulled the dash down and connected the yellow hose as per the AIM and now nothing works. The wiper door actuator used to open when I started the car and I knew that wasn’t right. By pulling down the override the actuator rod would retract and I knew that was backwards. Prior to all this I could manually move the limit switch and the wipers would work, but not anymore. Could having the vacuum line connected incorrectly damage the solenoid and should I replace it? In spite of it being wrong, with the limit switch pushed in the wiper door actuator worked and the wipers came on after the rod was all the way out. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sullyman56
Evidently my wiper door solenoid was not connected correctly. The yellow line was connected to the end where the filter was supposed to be and the other end by the electrical connection was open. I pulled the dash down and connected the yellow hose as per the AIM and now nothing works. The wiper door actuator used to open when I started the car and I knew that wasn’t right. By pulling down the override the actuator rod would retract and I knew that was backwards. Prior to all this I could manually move the limit switch and the wipers would work, but not anymore. Could having the vacuum line connected incorrectly damage the solenoid and should I replace it? In spite of it being wrong, with the limit switch pushed in the wiper door actuator worked and the wipers came on after the rod was all the way out. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The plumbing was probably correct before you fooled with it because it's very common for the wiper door to partially open when the engine is started if the vacuum reservoir is real low at that time. Mine always starts to open on a cold start after sitting all night but it'll never open during the day after I have run it.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:25 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

According to the AIM it was incorrect. The blue hose connects by the filter end and the yellow hose connects to the end by the electrical connection. It is strange that some diagrams are actually wrong according to the AIM. I’ve seen where the hose connections for the wiper door actuator are the reverse of what’s shown in the Assembly Manual.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Could having the vacuum line connected incorrectly damage the solenoid and should I replace it?
In a word, no and no. I cannot imagine any scenario where any damage could occur simply by having vacuum applied to any part of the solenoid. A solenoid test is simple to do, especially if you have it out of the car. Do you have a hand vacuum pump?

it's very common for the wiper door to partially open when the engine is started if the vacuum reservoir is real low at that time.
With all due respect, that's simply not true. A winking wiper door is caused by an vacuum imbalance in the control circuit in relation to the vacuum in the actuating circuit caused by vacuum leak(s). A vacuum tight system will keep the door down regardless of any vacuum level in any part of the system upon startup.

It is strange that some diagrams are actually wrong according to the AIM.
Not strange at all. Actually it's quite common. I believe this is the source of many problems for owners. There are also books being sold that have the same issue.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

I haven’t removed it from behind the tach, but I do have a mighty vac to test it. How do I test it while still in the car?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:37 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Ok, were we go;

Ignition off. Connect Mityvac to port C. With ports A & B open, pump it up. It should hold vacuum.
Next, connect Mityvac to port A. Block port B. Pump it up and it should hold vacuum. Removing the block on port B should remove vacuum.

Ignition on, and solenoid energized by turning on the wiper switch. Connect Mityvac to port A. With ports B & C open to atmosphere, pump it up. It should hold vacuum. Next, connect MItyvac to port B. Block port C and pump it up. It should hold vacuum. When you release the block on port C vacuum should be replaced with atmosphere.

Correct plumbing; port A to port closest to pull **** on headlight switch. Port B to port closest to pull **** on override. Port C is the vent to atmosphere. New cars had a foam filter here.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper door solenoid questions

Quick Reply: Wiper door solenoid questions