C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 454 intermittent ticking loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Stormcreek
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 454 intermittent ticking loss of power

Hi all new to forum and Vette ownership
Went out to start my corvette and noticed small oil leak. Checked the oil and needed 4 quarts. Started up ran fine, then it started a small intermittent ticking and then loss of power. Brought back home and pulled the valve covers thought it might be a broken valve spring. Could not move springs I assume ok? Started and all rockers looked ok. Found a small broken o-ring inside the valve cover. Oil level is fine now. Any idea what the ticking might be.

Hope this his is in the right forum I am new to the forum and any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Definately the right forum. I fear bottom end problems. I threw a 454 in a boat, went running down the creek and it partially locked up on me. 20 min later started it and seemed ok. Idled back to the ramp, pulled engine. The 2 rear rods were spun bearings, crank toast, rods shot. I would drop the oil pan and check everything. With the crossmembers in front of the engine it is an easy job.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

"noticed small oil leak. Checked the oil and needed 4 quarts", your idea of "small" and mine are totally different. Where did a gallon of oil go?
The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Stormcreek
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Revi
"noticed small oil leak. Checked the oil and needed 4 quarts", your idea of "small" and mine are totally different. Where did a gallon of oil go?
exactly when I said " notice small oil leak" less than half a quart on the shop floor.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Don't like where this story is going but maybe you "wiped" a cam lobe. I know its not fun but you need to pull one valve cover again. Starting at the front rocker arm Exh #1 check the valvelash by hand, grab the rocker, wiggle it. (The valve next door of course has to be open) Then jog the Ign key, next rockerarm, check, and so on. Anything abnormal? No? On to the other bank. I suspect a lobe or a lifter right now. The "O" ring is likely a valvestem seal.
Good luck.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

If you ran it that low on oil could be almost anything from collapsed lifter to scarred bearing. Make your self a stethoscope from a piece heater hose and a metal pickup and then listen at various listen points (Top of the intake, around the valves, timing chain cover, and around the oil pan from underneath). This is cheap and useful way to isolate the source of the noise. I would at least plan to pop the intake and check the valve train completely unless it's clearly knocking from the bottom end. Good Luck!

Last edited by CheezMoe; 11-06-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormcreek
Hi all new to forum and Vette ownership
Went out to start my corvette and noticed small oil leak. Checked the oil and needed 4 quarts. Started up ran fine, then it started a small intermittent ticking and then loss of power. Brought back home and pulled the valve covers thought it might be a broken valve spring. Could not move springs I assume ok? Started and all rockers looked ok. Found a small broken o-ring inside the valve cover. Oil level is fine now. Any idea what the ticking might be.

Hope this his is in the right forum I am new to the forum and any help would be appreciated.

Where was the oil coming from? You said you noticed less than half a quart on the floor, how long of a period of time did it take with the engine running for that amount to accumulate?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:19 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

How long and how many miles have you driven it since last checking the oil?
After you drove it and running it in your shop, how much more oil has leaked out?
If you are running hydraulic lifters and hearing a ticking noise, it could be a lifter is dry due to lack of oil in the system.
Using the method above determine where the ticking is coming from.
Figure out what the piece you found under the valve cover was! Post a photo.
As mentioned above pull the valve covers and check each cylinder, if you find nothing bent or broken, pull the intake and disassemble the valve train.
Check all components, including push rods and lifters.
If you find nothing, pull and inspect the camshaft.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Stormcreek
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
If you ran it that low on oil could be almost anything from collapsed lifter to scarred bearing. Make your self a stethoscope from a piece heater hose and a metal pickup and then listen at various listen points (Top of the intake, around the valves, timing chain cover, and around the oil pan from underneath). This is cheap and useful way to isolate the source of the noise. I would at least plan to pop the intake and check the valve train completely unless it's clearly knocking from the bottom end. Good Luck!
Did not run low on oil. Checked oil before started and started fine and drove for a while before the ticking. And checked oil when returned and it was ok.
Will try your idea on the stethoscope.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Went out to start my corvette and noticed small oil leak. Checked the oil and needed 4 quarts.
when I said " notice small oil leak" less than half a quart on the shop floor.
Did not run low on oil. Checked oil before started and started fine and drove for a while before the ticking. And checked oil when returned and it was ok.
I'm confused. Less than half a quart leaked out, you needed to add 4 quarts, you didn't run it low on oil, and after driving it the oil was ok.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:45 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

as revi said did you check oil before the previous time you ran it? if there is a half quart on the garage floor and 4 quarts low, you must have lubricated the streets with the other 3.5 quarts, either the last time out or over time. now the pickup is less than a half inch from bottom of pan so engine can maintain oil psi with very little oil, but if you run hard, pumps more oil and drain back is no faster at 5000 than at idle. I fear you hurt your crank and bearings. that is why I feel you should invest in an oil pan gasket and check and replace all the rod bearings and check the mains. the lower main gets more wear than the upper. so if the bearing in the main cap is ok, you shouldn't have to crank the upper shell out to check it. is this type job in your wheelhouse? if not, where are you?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Stormcreek
4th Gear

Default Thanks for all the comments. Had my mechanic look at it. The exhaust manifold gaskets

Originally Posted by derekderek
as revi said did you check oil before the previous time you ran it? if there is a half quart on the garage floor and 4 quarts low, you must have lubricated the streets with the other 3.5 quarts, either the last time out or over time. now the pickup is less than a half inch from bottom of pan so engine can maintain oil psi with very little oil, but if you run hard, pumps more oil and drain back is no faster at 5000 than at idle. I fear you hurt your crank and bearings. that is why I feel you should invest in an oil pan gasket and check and replace all the rod bearings and check the mains. the lower main gets more wear than the upper. so if the bearing in the main cap is ok, you shouldn't have to crank the upper shell out to check it. is this type job in your wheelhouse? if not, where are you?
Thanks for the help,
had my mechanic look at it. Exhaust manifold gaskets were blowing out. And plugs and wires were in bad issue. Not sure on the oil. But she is up and running Great again.
I am in Tupelo ms.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Nice car! Looks exactly like my LT-1!

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 454 intermittent ticking loss of power

Quick Reply: 1972 454 intermittent ticking loss of power