C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Tuning (Videos Included)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Need Help With Tuning (Videos Included)

I am having trouble tuning this vehicle. As you can see the engine shakes at idle and I'm not sure where to begin. It also has a popping sound coming from the right tailpipe. There is now a Lunati voodoo series 276 cam. ( didn't do the 36 degree total thing as I do not have a dizzy recurve kit yet. My initial timing as at 16 degrees, and the idle speed is at 700rpm. The exhaust sounds good on the left tailpipe but the right pipe is "messing up the sound" The exhaust is chambered. Suggestions where to start first are definitely welcome and keep them coming!!! Sorry the vid is upside down. I was holding the phone upside down.

Here is a second vid with the hood closed. I see coolant leak and I'm replacing this radiator because I took it to a radiator repair shop and they said they pressure tested it and could note not find the leak. It was coming from the lower front corner of the radiator when I took it to be repaired.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 10-19-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Hope vid shows up
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Could be a bad miss, or crossed plug wires? Check your plug wires and chase them all back to the distributor cap. To me, though, it sounds like you have a valvetrain issue - either rocker(s) out of adjustment - too tight - or something binding. Check plugs, and if they are all good and screwed in tight, and wires are in their proper place, I would pull your drivers side cover and re-lash the rockers. It does not sound like a simple miss.

If you loosen your rocker arms, take a minute and pull the pushrods and roll them on a flat surface. May be a bent pushrod. Could also be a bent valve.

What were you doing when it started to run like this, or is it a fresh motor?

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 10-19-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

I rebuilt it. Sounded like this. Never drove it, won't drive it until I get this issue taken care of and the new radiator. Will start w/ plugs, wires. Pull driver's side valve cover? Would the drivers side cause the popping on the right side? I will check them. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:40 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts
Default IR Heat Guns Are Terrific Diagnostic Tools

Do you have a "true dual" exhaust? If so and the right side is popping then you have a problem on the right side. The fastest way to find the location of a miss is to use a IR heat gun and point it at each of the exhaust manifold ports and see which one is a LOT cooler than the rest of them. I bought my IR gun thru E-Bay last year for only $10 so if you don't have one I suggest you buy one because it's a terrific diagnostic tool.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:08 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

I do have true dual exhaust (chambered) While looking the engine over I forgot I did not screw in a header bolt on by one of the tubes, but doubt that could be the cause. I will install and focus on the right side of the engine. Keep 'em coming folks!

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 10-20-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:57 AM
donaldb1
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default skipping

Exhaust valve is not sealing. several ways to check, compression test, remove spark plug cables, temperature of exhaust will be least reliable since the leak is small. Locate which cylinder is involved and then locate problem in valve train. VooDoo may be doodoo.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
I rebuilt it. Sounded like this. Never drove it, won't drive it until I get this issue taken care of and the new radiator. Will start w/ plugs, wires. Pull driver's side valve cover? Would the drivers side cause the popping on the right side? I will check them. Keep the suggestions coming.
sorry - meant pull PS valve cover.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help With Tuning (Videos Included)

Quick Reply: Need Help With Tuning (Videos Included)