C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight assembly lightening?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Milan454
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like H4351 is the smallest sealed beam style headlight that would fit in the grill area of the 76. 93 to 96 Camaro amongst others would be good donor vehicles. I will TIG up a few chromoly brackets to hold the Camaro buckets in place. I will post pictures of the mock up looks promissing. I will figure out how to leave the factory doors in place keeping the stock look. I think this will be a fun little project. Once this is done I hope to replaces the huge vacuum reservoir with a section of 4130 tube as well.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Interested in weight loss???

Here's fellow member Bee Jay's thread on it- albiet he didn't do anything to the headlights...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...loss-mods.html

Richard
Old 10-28-2017, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan454
Once this is done I hope to replaces the huge vacuum reservoir with a section of 4130 tube as well.
Do as you wish..but you are aware that the tube for vacuum storage on your car is also an integral part of front impact protection. So hopefully you are taking that into consideration.

DUB
Old 10-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Do as you wish..but you are aware that the tube for vacuum storage on your car is also an integral part of front impact protection. So hopefully you are taking that into consideration.

DUB

Meh. Not part of 68-72 anyway. My opinion is that these cars are death traps no matter how you slice it. Nothing between you and a bus other than some fiberglass anyway.

I was scolded on this forum for wanting to replace my 69 front cross member with an aluminum replacement saying I would compromise the engineered safety of the steel piece. Ha!

R
Old 10-29-2017, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
Meh. Not part of 68-72 anyway. My opinion is that these cars are death traps no matter how you slice it. Nothing between you and a bus other than some fiberglass anyway.

I was scolded on this forum for wanting to replace my 69 front cross member with an aluminum replacement saying I would compromise the engineered safety of the steel piece. Ha!

R
I read in POST #21 that his car is a 1976. Which is what I was commenting on. Which as I hope you know is different that the 1968-1972's.

Man do I hate these type of threads....but I can not sit here and do nothing.

As for any structural or reinforcement modifications you obviously can choose to do whatever you want to your Corvette. Fine by me. But if you do not want people to comment...and those comments do not support or encourage your views on it.....then do not post your intentions.

Simply because there are some people on this Corvette Forum that see a lot more damage to these Corvettes and other cars also and have been a part of correctly repairing them and have seen what can happen first hand when components are removed or altered less than what was designed...and...also what happens when repairs are not followed correctly and the repair is strengthened and what happens when this is done.

I have seen it....and the only reason I am typing it out is so that maybe someone who reads this takes it under consideration.

And for those who are still reading this stuff....I KNOW of one specific case that occurred in my town where a body shop used structural adhesive when installing a frame rail when it was supposed to be spot welded in place. The car...oddly enough got into another bad collision and what happened was the car did not crumble as designed to do because the adhesive was NOT going to let loose like spot welds would and absorb the impact. WELL..when it was found out that improper repairs were done it fell back on the previous shop due to the car was in the insurance database and let me tell you...it was not good for them.

Then the car I saw where the car had HSLA ( High Strength Low Alloy) metal in it and when the body shop pulled it when it was on a frame machine..the guy used a torch to heat the steel of the frame rail to pull out buckles or whatever... and when the car left...it came back some time later and the fraem rail cracked in half.

So whoever has gotten this far...make wise decisions....or you or the innocent passenger of the car that has no clue on what you modified might just regret it if you get into a collision. And if a person feels that due to the era of the Corvette and what is has for structural impact resistance is not really providing much help at all...then I guess they will do as they wish....just like I wrote on POST #23.

DUB
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Milan454
Instructor

I appreciate your concern for my safety and that of my passenger. I guess I should have updated my "about me" section of my profile. I am an experienced fabricator and while I appreciate you concern, rest assured I know the limits of what the metal structure is capable of and what they are designed for. I might be a newbie on this forum, I have spent over 35 years building cars and over 45 years tinkering with stuff. I'm not the most knowledgeable, this I know but I also know that some folks can get carried away with the "don't mess with that it was engineered that way for a reason".
Like I said thanks and point taken...and now, Back to your regularly scheduled program...
Old 10-30-2017, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Milan454
I appreciate your concern for my safety and that of my passenger. I guess I should have updated my "about me" section of my profile. I am an experienced fabricator and while I appreciate you concern, rest assured I know the limits of what the metal structure is capable of and what they are designed for. I might be a newbie on this forum, I have spent over 35 years building cars and over 45 years tinkering with stuff. I'm not the most knowledgeable, this I know but I also know that some folks can get carried away with the "don't mess with that it was engineered that way for a reason".
Like I said thanks and point taken...and now, Back to your regularly scheduled program...

All I was doing was passing along 'stuff' that might help you or others who read this thread.

I also appreciate you taking it as I intended....and that it was expressing my concern.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-30-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Milan454
Instructor

Thanks again (name?)...As they say...The more I learn, the less I know...
Milan

Last edited by Milan454; 10-30-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight assembly lightening?