C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Vert with soft top delete?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Webineer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 Vert with soft top delete?

Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a 72 convertible vette in very nice shape. It came with a factory removable hard top but there was no soft top. A fellow corvette buddy informed me that there was a delete option to buy a convertible without the soft top. My question is how can I tell if I have one of these cars that left the factory without the soft top? I had hoped to install one but I have also been told that this may be a real challenge.
If you can shed any light on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks very much.
Paul
Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Original paperwork or tank sticker? I know C2s had that option don't know more, sure Alan will know. Mark
Old 10-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Webineer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Syl1953
Original paperwork or tank sticker? I know C2s had that option don't know more, sure Alan will know. Mark
Thanks Mark,
I don't have either at this time, I just got the car last week. I will do some exploring and see what I can dig up.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
There was another thread with-in the last week or two about hardtop only cars.

I believe the consensus was that there was very little, if any difference, in a car that was to get the soft top or not… except of course for the top itself.
So adding the top may not be difficult, but buying a nice complete frame, hardware, and top in good condition may be a bit costly.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Link to the soft top thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-hardtops.html

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-23-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Webineer
Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a 72 convertible vette in very nice shape. It came with a factory removable hard top but there was no soft top. A fellow corvette buddy informed me that there was a delete option to buy a convertible without the soft top. My question is how can I tell if I have one of these cars that left the factory without the soft top? I had hoped to install one but I have also been told that this may be a real challenge.
Thanks very much.
Paul
Back then you could buy the car with soft top only, hard top only or both tops, I'm not sure if a hard top only car has the attaching points for the soft top frame but I know the C-1 cars did not. Which is why you can buy used attaching hardware for these cars on e bay etc for hundreds of dollars. The C-2 soft top only cars also lacked the attaching hardware and rear latches.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:03 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Curious: Why would the folding mechanism come with a car that was designated as "soft top delete"? Someone making that purchase wouldn't have wanted the top or that mechanism....would they?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Webineer
Instructor

That’s the thing that I am trying to resolve. Apparently if you ordered the car with a hard top and soft top delete, you have an empty hole where the frame and soft top would be. So to install a new soft top will require the purchase of a frame and vinyl top plus the cost of instalation.
Anyone have a good used frame they want to part with😊
paul
Old 10-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Webineer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Paul,
There was another thread with-in the last week or two about hardtop only cars.

I believe the consensus was that there was very little, if any difference, in a car that was to get the soft top or not… except of course for the top itself.
So adding the top may not be difficult, but buying a nice complete frame, hardware, and top in good condition may be a bit costly.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Link to the soft top thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-hardtops.html
Alan, that link tells the tale, thanks a million!
Paul
Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Paul,
There are convertible frames for sale on the bay almost continuously.
What they cost depends on their condition and how much restoration effort they require.
Attaching the frame to the body could hardly be anymore straight forward.
There are 2 bolts from the top's frame mounting bracket to the hinge pillar on each side of the car.
The Assembly manual shows it pretty clearly.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-23-2017 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Webineer (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Webineer
Instructor

Thanks Alan,
I will let the search begin. Luckily its getting cold and the hard top is on for the winter months.
Paul
Old 10-23-2017, 05:29 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Webineer
Hi Guys,
Thanks very much.
Paul
Look behind the rear 1/4 trim panels. You should see a serrated square patch and two holes that house the cage nuts to attach the soft top frame to the bird cage. I'd love to know if that is there and would answer the question if the car was built soft top delete (only the tank sticker will tell you for sure if it's soft top delete) did it come with the frame attachment points.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

While 'attaching' the soft top is quite simple, the attachment point has a lot of room to move, effecting the tension in the top and the ability to easily open and close. Look at the room in the slots below. BTW I would bet $100 every roadster was made with the attaching points; managing the addition or deletion of these points would be more than GM could have managed in this era. Just a bet, not a proven fact.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
The Assembly Instruction Manual indicates the the parts for the folding top bracket support bolts are welded into the hinge pillar. (UPC 1 Bolt/Weld, Sheet A5)
I don't think that when the birdcages were being assembled there was a way for the workers to know if the cage was headed for use in a soft-top delete car.
I'm thinking all convertible birdcages were set up for the soft top mount.
Regards,
Alan

VERY nice photo ROX!
What year car?
May I save it?

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-24-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I'm thinking all convertible birdcages were set up for the soft top mount...
I agree.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 PM
theandies
Team Owner

I'm thinking all convertible birdcages were set up for the soft top mount.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks what I concluded in the other hard top thread. I'd think the soft top delete was very rare and it would cost way too much to delete the attachment point from the bird cage and then track it all the way to the owner that ordered it like that back then.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NRAROX
While 'attaching' the soft top is quite simple, the attachment point has a lot of room to move, effecting the tension in the top and the ability to easily open and close. Look at the room in the slots below. BTW I would bet $100 every roadster was made with the attaching points; managing the addition or deletion of these points would be more than GM could have managed in this era. Just a bet, not a proven fact.

Good picture.

And in addition to getting the soft top to work and fit if you have the hard top put it on first and adjust the door glass to that. Then remove it and adjust the soft top to the glass. Then both seal up nicely.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Vert with soft top delete?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 72 Vert with soft top delete?