C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster, Hooker and Headman Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Webineer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flowmaster, Hooker and Headman Oh My!

I appreciate the advice I get from you all on this forum and I follow most of it
My challenge today is with a 72 vert I bought last week. The engine is fresh with a slightly beefy cam and completely stock exhaust. The poor car is suffocating and I want to help it reach closer to its potential. I want to put a set of headers and pipes maybe 2.5" or 3". I searched the forum for review or recommendations without any real success.
My car is a 1972 convertible with a 350 engine and a 3 speed automatic.
My goal is to beef up the sound and power without going over the top. I will never race the car but want to know i would not be embarrassed if I did. So I am looking for advice on what headers and mufflers to buy and why one setup over another.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by Webineer; 10-23-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Webineer
I appreciate the advice I get from you all on this forum and I follow most of it
My challenge today is with a 72 vert I bought last week. The engine is fresh with a slightly beefy cam and completely stock exhaust. The poor car is suffocating and I want to help it reach closer to its potential. I want to put a set of headers and pipes maybe 2.5" or 3". I searched the forum for review or recommendations without any real success.
My car is a 1972 convertible with a 350 engine and a 3 speed automatic.
My goal is to beef up the sound and power without going over the top. I will never race the car but want to know i would not be embarrassed if I did. So I am looking for advice on what headers and mufflers to buy and why one setup over another.

Thanks,
Paul

I'd save my money and install a TH700R4 and a set of 3.73 gears. For about $3000 to $3500 you'd end up with a screamer but still retain a low cruising rpm.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

If you want headers, go with DOUG's. I just finished my motor and sent back pairs of both Hooker and Hedman due to rust and poor craftsmanship on brand new headers. Finally dropped the $700'ish on a set of Doug's headers with 1-5/8 primaries and 3" collectors. Have a 2-1/2" system welded all the way back with a small H-pipe behind the tranny (kills some drone), and in my case I went with Flowmaster 40's. Too loud for some, but it sounds really tough and has a nice snarl when you open it up.

I'm running a 355 with a mild but lumpy hydraulic roller. Sounds very nice.

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 10-23-2017 at 09:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stingre' (12-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Webineer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics, the pipes look sweet!!!
this is the kind of insight I’m looking for, thanks.
withe the flowmaster 40’s on a normal cruise can you still hold a conversation or is it really set for the performance. I’m running delta 50’s on my 67 chevelle and they are pretty tame.
Paul
Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Custom built exhaust with hooker super comp 1.75 headers to 2.5 pipe and dynomax vt mufflers. Lets see if this works

Very little drone while cruizing, straight through design when having fun.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:40 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Webineer
Thanks for the pics, the pipes look sweet!!!
this is the kind of insight I’m looking for, thanks.
withe the flowmaster 40’s on a normal cruise can you still hold a conversation or is it really set for the performance. I’m running delta 50’s on my 67 chevelle and they are pretty tame.
Paul
you can still have a conversation without an issue. My wife thinks they're a bit loud, but I think they're a nice compromise. I wanted some authority when I pull up to the pump. The 40s sound great.

Get notified of new replies

To Flowmaster, Hooker and Headman Oh My!

Quick Reply: Flowmaster, Hooker and Headman Oh My!