C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilt column Mystery on 72'

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Dougtov
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tilt column Mystery on 72'

Hi All,

Mystery!!! When the Tilt Steering wheel column on my 72' is in the most upright position, the ignition will not start. Power comes on, but no power to starter motor or any clicking sound--nothing. However, when I move column to next lower position, everything works just fine.

Any thoughts?/Safety feature? (Hardly).
Thanking you all in advance.
Dougtov
Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougtov
Hi All,

Mystery!!! When the Tilt Steering wheel column on my 72' is in the most upright position, the ignition will not start. Power comes on, but no power to starter motor or any clicking sound--nothing. However, when I move column to next lower position, everything works just fine.

Dougtov

A broken wire is the first thing that comes to my mind.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The ignition switch on the lower part of the column may need adjusted. There is a rod that runs from the upper part of the column to the switch, I have seen them bend due to the switch being hard to move.
The following users liked this post:
Dougtov (10-24-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 PM
Vaipulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dougtov
Hi All,

Dougtov

HA I have the same issue. Last time I had tires installed I had to "magic touch" to get the car started for the shop.

Know that eventually it will get stuck like that. Check the bridge connecter under the column. The wires are starting to break.

Imagine my frustration when I couldn't figure out how to do the "magic touch" when the issue started.

Get notified of new replies

To Tilt column Mystery on 72'

Quick Reply: Tilt column Mystery on 72'