C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tubular a-arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by naramlee
Daaaaaamn!! 649.99 for the same thing with stickers?!

wait... THATS JUST UPPERS?!
Yes just the uppers!
My friend just delivered my cross shafts. He machined them and they are ready to be mounted!
I was just checking the brakes on my vette today and saw that I have a lot of work ahead of me especially in the cleaning the frame department!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:41 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Primož Krajcar
Yes just the uppers!
especially in the cleaning the frame department!
no kidding, me too 😑
Old 08-30-2018, 05:23 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

i bought mine on ebay for what seems to be the same thing

And machine shop has been backed up, they finally called and said uppers were ready

Looks good.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Got the thin nylock nuts in for the front and got the shocks modified for the vette, had a nice set of DA shocks for my old autocross s10 thats been parted out, they are about 2" to short so i had to modify them, they fit great now 😁

Old 08-31-2018, 04:10 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

I am still viewing this from my chair in front of my computer as I recover from surgery.
BUT....does anyone else think that with the amount of metal removed that the cross shaft is compromised a little?
Especially the upper and lower sections by the stud hole. Where the elongated area is. If there is flex across that opening I can see a crack down the road.
I am wondering if a brace across the two holes on the back side that fits right in between the raised ridge where the round part of the shaft meets the flat area. Make it a snug fit and drill two holes after the caster is set so that they are exact.
Look at the pic above my post to see what I mean.
I think this whole project has been an awesome lesson (especially for me) so I am not questioning anyone's work.

Thanks for your feedback.
Hopefully I can get mine out of the box tomorrow and compare them to the Van Steel's that I have and compare the bulk.

Bman
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:27 AM
sagebrush rebel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would the mounting bracket for a spreader bar help tie the 2 studs together and help prevent flex?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:31 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bmans vette
I am still viewing this from my chair in front of my computer as I recover from surgery.
BUT....does anyone else think that with the amount of metal removed that the cross shaft is compromised a little?
Especially the upper and lower sections by the stud hole. Where the elongated area is. If there is flex across that opening I can see a crack down the road.
I am wondering if a brace across the two holes on the back side that fits right in between the raised ridge where the round part of the shaft meets the flat area. Make it a snug fit and drill two holes after the caster is set so that they are exact.
Look at the pic above my post to see what I mean.
I think this whole project has been an awesome lesson (especially for me) so I am not questioning anyone's work.

Thanks for your feedback.
Hopefully I can get mine out of the box tomorrow and compare them to the Van Steel's that I have and compare the bulk.

Bman
Thanks for the raised question. My friend who machined the shafts for me said that the material is not soft and not the hardest he has seen. So in between somewhere. Since the original shafts are the same thickness across the whole area as ours where they were machined I hope everything will hold together well. We discussed the issue with my friend and he thought that the shafts are this thick because Impala and other passenger cars weigh much more than Corvette. I must say I didn't look it up what the weight difference actually is.
I wish you speedy recovery and keep the posts coming!

Last edited by Primoz; 08-31-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 AM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

How much does a 1960 Chevy Impala 4 door weigh?

The North American version of the 1960 Chevrolet Impala 4-door sedan has a curb weight of 3,750 pounds. The first model year for the Chevy Impala was 1958.
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

The 71 vette curb weight 3304 lbs
Old 08-31-2018, 12:05 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

IMO,I don't see how any flex could occur, the entire length of the control arm shaft is laying against the frame mounting bracket. But, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your concern.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:38 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmans vette

Bman
hope you get to feeling better soon! Not a small thing having that kind of surgery, and it sucks having to not do anything for this time =(

and you have to remember how these arms are loaded with stress, there isn't that much loading being imposed upon the cross-shaft, most of the load is vertical and some from bumps and cornering, almost all of that is directly upon the bolts that go to the frame horn, very little is done by the cross shaft, it's seeing some torsional load, but not that much, mostly vertical, cross load and shear.

The weakest link is the 12ga steel pieces welded to the frame, def NOT your cross shafts

You would rip them off the frame before the cross shaft would have any issue. 1064 High Carbon steel is a very good grade for this and the temper is also in the middle which is what you would want, not soft enough to bend like mild steel, but also not so hard that it becomes brittle like grade 8 bolts, very strong and then suddenly snaps when bent just alittle to far.
You need alittle give in suspension parts like your arms and axles but not so much that they distort easily for street driven cars.
Now drag racing is another story, Gun drilled and thru-hardened axles handle massive amounts of HP, but will fracture and break if you used them all day out on the streets because they can't flex with the shock loads imposed upon them from bumps and the rigors of street life, something is going to give.

Last edited by naramlee; 08-31-2018 at 12:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by naramlee:
bmans vette (08-31-2018), Primoz (08-31-2018), sunflower 1972 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 06:57 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunflower 1972

IMO,I don't see how any flex could occur, the entire length of the control arm shaft is laying against the frame mounting bracket. But, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your concern.
I see that yours are snug but what I was thinking is when we put shims under one bolt to change caster, then the 2 contact points are around the bolt openings.
Just a thought. I tend to overthink things.....lol
Thanks
Old 08-31-2018, 06:58 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

hope you get to feeling better soon! Not a small thing having that kind of surgery, and it sucks having to not do anything for this time =(

and you have to remember how these arms are loaded with stress, there isn't that much loading being imposed upon the cross-shaft, most of the load is vertical and some from bumps and cornering, almost all of that is directly upon the bolts that go to the frame horn, very little is done by the cross shaft, it's seeing some torsional load, but not that much, mostly vertical, cross load and shear.

The weakest link is the 12ga steel pieces welded to the frame, def NOT your cross shafts

You would rip them off the frame before the cross shaft would have any issue. 1064 High Carbon steel is a very good grade for this and the temper is also in the middle which is what you would want, not soft enough to bend like mild steel, but also not so hard that it becomes brittle like grade 8 bolts, very strong and then suddenly snaps when bent just alittle to far.
You need alittle give in suspension parts like your arms and axles but not so much that they distort easily for street driven cars.
Now drag racing is another story, Gun drilled and thru-hardened axles handle massive amounts of HP, but will fracture and break if you used them all day out on the streets because they can't flex with the shock loads imposed upon them from bumps and the rigors of street life, something is going to give.

All good points Phillip.
Thanks for the well wishes too!
Dennis (Bman)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:20 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Found this photo in a recent thread regarding offset shafts. Nice stack of shims to try and get some positive caster!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Found this photo in a recent thread regarding offset shafts. Nice stack of shims to try and get some positive caster!

daaaaang
Old 09-01-2018, 02:42 PM
L82Dude
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i bought mine on ebay for what seems to be the same thing

And machine shop has been backed up, they finally called and said uppers were ready

Did you by chance match them up with the stock shafts?
Wondering since you had those out, why not just change the shaft instead of grinding and drilling? or do are the shafts differ that much .
Moog does make an offset shaft that looks similar to your picture
Old 09-01-2018, 04:33 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Originally Posted by L82Dude
Did you by chance match them up with the stock shafts?
Wondering since you had those out, why not just change the shaft instead of grinding and drilling? or do are the shafts differ that much .
Moog does make an offset shaft that looks similar to your picture
Not being a smart ***, but by chance did you happen to read the entire thread from post 1 to post 175? Because your answer is in there.

Get notified of new replies

To tubular a-arms

Old 09-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Not being a smart ***, but by chance did you happen to read the entire thread from post 1 to post 175? Because your answer is in there.

He covered it...
Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 PM
L82Dude
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

(Edited)
and yes I did read them all. 1 guy said no they wont, another video shows how to make it fit.

Don't believe anything you read, and half of what you see and hear.

So until I actually see them side by side and judge for myself, i'll question things everytime.

think outside the box and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Again, put them side by side in various positions, take pics, post them, lets other judge how they'll make it work or which way they will go

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 09-19-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: delete removed material and direct response
Old 09-01-2018, 11:40 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Please.....lets not rain on this really good thread.

One thing working on these old beauties is the virtue of patience.

No reason we cannot have that with one another also.

On a good note....my Joe's Racing caster camber gauge showed up today.
Each new post inspires me more to get back to work as soon as I can.

Carry on my friends......and keep the info (AND PICTURES) coming.......

Quick Reply: tubular a-arms