C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple more Oil Pan Questions...

Old 10-25-2017, 09:14 PM
74VetteAZ
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Couple more Oil Pan Questions...

Many thanks to all for answering all my questions over the last few months - I'm new at this but determined to learn and work on my car - thanks to you guys for making it possible!

74 454 BB. Getting ready to install rear main seal and then back on with the oil pump. Here are my 2 questions -

Oil pan baffle - had to use a breaker bar to get those baffle nuts off the studs - so I'm figuring they're torqued pretty good going back on. I see in my manuals the torque specs for the oil pan bolts but can find no specs for the baffle stud nuts - how much torque to those guys?

Also, on my new pan - those four little metal corner pieces that go on the outside bottom corners of the oil pan.....Do those go on with an adhesive or just held in place with the oil pan bolts??

Thanks Again!

Vic
Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

those windage trat nuts are 3/8''?,and only go 35-45 lbs,,they were probably lock-tighted on,,

those metal plates are held-on by the bolts[they probably were tack-welded on at one time]
Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 74VetteAZ
Many thanks to all for answering all my questions over the last few months - I'm new at this but determined to learn and work on my car - thanks to you guys for making it possible!

74 454 BB. Getting ready to install rear main seal and then back on with the oil pump. Here are my 2 questions -

Oil pan baffle - had to use a breaker bar to get those baffle nuts off the studs - so I'm figuring they're torqued pretty good going back on. I see in my manuals the torque specs for the oil pan bolts but can find no specs for the baffle stud nuts - how much torque to thos

Also, on my new pan - those four little metal corner pieces that go on the outside bottom corners of the oil pan.....Do those go on with an adhesive or just held in place with the oil pan bolts??

Thanks Again!

Vic

Torque the windage tray nuts 30-35 ft/lbs and the four corner pieces were spot welded on the original pan. I'd stick them on with RTV then let the RTV cure overnight before bolting the pan on.

Last edited by 71VetteLover; 10-25-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple more Oil Pan Questions...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple more Oil Pan Questions...