C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 vette car bucks on incline

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Srnes1@aol.com
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 vette car bucks on incline

i had mechanic fix vacumm advance and change points car idles fine but when I gun it or go up incline the car bucks any advice.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:39 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Srnes1@aol.com
i had mechanic fix vacumm advance and change points car idles fine but when I gun it or go up incline the car bucks any advice.
What do you mean "bucks" if you gun it? It is stumbling or hesitating? Bucking meaning it wants to kill maybe? What engine and auto or manual trans? Is the motor stock or modified?

It is possible that you have too much or two little timing off idle now. A change in point and dwell would require that the timing be readjusted, so what did he set that at? The idle would need to be readjusted following a change to your vacuum advance and timing as well, so it could possibly be turned too low now. It could also be that the vacuum advance is not the correct amount of advance, depending on your distributor.

One thing you could try is pulling the hose off the vacuum advance canister and plugging the hose (I just use a golf tee), try driving it and see if it straightens out. You will probably have to turn your idle up a bit as there will be less timing at idle. If that cure it, take it back and tell him to fix it. Many on here run adjustable vac advance units, or no vac advance.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Srnes1@aol.com

Is it a 4-speed or automatic? If it's a 4-speed how fast is your engine spinning when you "gun" it up the incline? If the engine is running real slow it will "buck" until it reaches a higher rpm.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 AM
Srnes1@aol.com
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JoeMinnesota;1595836517]What do you mean "bucks" if you gun it? It is stumbling or hesitating? Bucking meaning it wants to kill maybe? What engine and auto or manual trans? Is the motor stock or modified?

It is possible that you have too much or two little timing off idle now. A change in point and dwell would require that the timing be readjusted, so what did he set that at? The idle would need to be readjusted following a change to your vacuum advance and timing as well, so it could possibly be turned too low now. It could also be that the vacuum advance is not the correct amount of advance, depending on your distributor.

One thing you could try is pulling the hose off the vacuum advance canister and plugging the hose (I just use a golf tee), try driving it and see if it straightens out. You will probably have to turn your idle up a bit as there will be less timing at idle. If that cure it, take it back and tell him to fix it. Many on here run adjustable vac advance units, or no vac advance.[/QUOT
Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on too much timing. Take it back to him..
does it have a trailer hitching effect as if its almost lean?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Check your carb float levels. Might be set too low.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:09 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

BINGO ! ! ! Chapter2 got it. Incline stutter = fuel starvation.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 vette car bucks on incline

Quick Reply: 69 vette car bucks on incline