C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Easiest Way To Bump An Engine Over

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts
Default The Easiest Way To Bump An Engine Over

About 5 years ago I was adjusting my lifter pre-loads one evening when I realized there had to be a better way to bump my engine over than using my key switch. So I ran a 12 gauge (green) wire from my starter solenoid's "S" terminal up to my air restriction indicator's mount bracket and by connecting my Snap-On push button switch's leads to the bracket and to the HOT stud on my BUSS fuse block I can bump it over just a few degrees at a time by tapping the button on a hard surface.

Heck, it only takes a few minutes to jack your C3 up and connect an additional wire to your solenoid's "S" terminal so I suggest doing it as soon as you are able. As the firewall is fiberglass you can end the wire anywhere to the left side of your firewall and above your valve cover then you can use that to bump your engine over without the fear of it starting because your key switch would still be turned OFF.

It's these "little things" that make life so much easier.
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

I put my car in 1st gear and rock it a bit to rotate the crank. I find it more accurate this way to get the 90 degree marks spot-on. But if your car is an automatic, my method doesn't work so well. :-)

Last edited by Tonio; 10-26-2017 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:24 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by Chapter2
I put my car in 1st gear and rock it a bit to rotate the crank. I find it more accurate this way to get the 90 degree marks spot-on. But if your car is an automatic, my method doesn't work so well. :-)

That'll work but it works much better in 4th gear because the engine turns so much slower. When the rear tires turn one revolution in 1st gear the engine will turn about ten times whereas in 4th gear it only turns once. And it takes a lot less effort to nudge it foreword or backward when it's in 4th gear.
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

If it's an auto and you don't mind pulling lower flexplate cover, this tool works great. Lisle Flywheel Tuners 23800. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...CABEgIBtvD_BwE I use mine a lot when I need to rotate the motor at 90* increments.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 10-26-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:19 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
About 5 years ago I was adjusting my lifter pre-loads one evening when I realized there had to be a better way to bump my engine over than using my key switch. So I ran a 12 gauge (green) wire from my starter solenoid's "S" terminal up to my air restriction indicator's mount bracket and by connecting my Snap-On push button switch's leads to the bracket and to the HOT stud on my BUSS fuse block I can bump it over just a few degrees at a time by tapping the button on a hard surface.

Heck, it only takes a few minutes to jack your C3 up and connect an additional wire to your solenoid's "S" terminal so I suggest doing it as soon as you are able. As the firewall is fiberglass you can end the wire anywhere to the left side of your firewall and above your valve cover then you can use that to bump your engine over without the fear of it starting because your key switch would still be turned OFF.

It's these "little things" that make life so much easier.
Good idea, I have often thought of doing something like that because it is difficult to get to the starter terminal and I always thing I'm going to touch a couple together and spark!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You can connect to the purple wire with a white strip either under the dash, (automatic), or in the front of the console (manual) with a 10-12ga wire, run that under the hood to someplace accessible, and hook a remote button to that. And never have to go under the car.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:49 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

This last summer I suddenly began having "no crank" issues after I had driven 40 to 50 miles and with an outside temperature of over 100 degrees; leaving me wondering how on earth I could get my engine started when I was a long way from home. Then I remembered I had my under hood "method" to crank my engine so I popped my hood, turned my key ON, then shorted across the connections and BINGO...........my engine was running again. Yippee! It turned out I had a bad purple solenoid wire connection coming off my neutral safety switch so I butt-connected the wires together; eliminating the male/female plug that wasn't making a good contact. So my under hood method saved me from having to be towed 40+ miles.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Lordy

Get notified of new replies

To The Easiest Way To Bump An Engine Over

Quick Reply: The Easiest Way To Bump An Engine Over