C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevrolet Performance Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:38 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts
Default Chevrolet Performance Valve Covers

I have my 73 big block and I'm going to be pulling the engine soon and among other things stroking it to 496 cu in, running Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and a hydraulic roller with Crower stainless steel roller rockers.

The performance machine shop I'm working with builds motors for resto guys who demand the stock covers yet are running rollers with the engine builds. He's suggesting that I stick with the stock or near stock dimension cover, run the Crower roller rockers and machine the locks for clearance.

I would prefer to run a set of tall valve covers and be done, but the clearance between the brake booster and valve cover concerns me.

I've seen several people running tall covers or the new tall Chevrolet Performance covers with power brake boosters and was hoping anyone running tall covers or the Chevrolet Performance covers could post how they fit them and supply a couple of photos showing how much clearance they have between the covers and the power brake booster.

I know the stock style covers could work because he has shown me this is something they have done for years, is currently doing and is a standard practice for most corvette resto engine builders.
I like the looks of both but I worry about modifying the locks and the stock style covers to work if I don't need to.

This is something I would like:

This is like my machinist is suggesting:

Last edited by OldCarBum; 11-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

any chance of running an aftermarket or smaller brake system(name of the part escapes me)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
any chance of running an aftermarket or smaller brake system(name of the part escapes me)
I could, but don't know what is available
Old 11-02-2017, 04:03 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Been doing the 100% stock-appearing builds, fully rollered, for years now, both the SB's and the BB's.

One shop we build for mandates the 100% stock covers (height-wise) AND only a single thick V/C gasket as well. No problem there!

The BB's are easy, the SB's are more labor intensive.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With the Chevy performance covers in your post above we even have used these with a complete stud girdle on the mech-roller platform. Strongly recommend NOT using any cam buttons, order the stepped-nose cam and have the unit built using a thrust plate. BB's are simple using the plate, there's no chasing cam end-play and the t/cover choice doesn't matter. Here's a couple shots, the finished one is a 496, these come in at over 500 HP and 550# Torque. We use SBC intake valves and Mopar exhausts on these oval port heads to get these numbers!
Attached Images   

Last edited by GOSFAST; 11-02-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: C
Old 11-02-2017, 04:04 PM
vette8121
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I have my 73 big block and I'm going to be pulling the engine soon and among other things stroking it to 496 cu in, running Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and a hydraulic roller with Crower stainless steel roller rockers.

The performance machine shop I'm working with builds motors for resto guys who demand the stock covers yet are running rollers with the engine builds. He's suggesting that I stick with the stock or near stock dimension cover, run the Crower roller rockers and machine the locks for clearance.

I would prefer to run a set of tall valve covers and be done, but the clearance between the brake booster and valve cover concerns me.

I've seen several people running tall covers or the new tall Chevrolet Performance covers with power brake boosters and was hoping anyone running tall covers or the Chevrolet Performance covers could post how they fit them and supply a couple of photos showing how much clearance they have between the covers and the power brake booster.

I know the stock style covers could work because he has shown me this is something they have done for years, is currently doing and is a standard practice for most corvette resto engine builders.
I like the looks of both but I worry about modifying the locks and the stock style covers to work if I don't need to.

This is something I would like:

This is like my machinist is suggesting:
I thought you ordered a set of Ansen's last week. tm
Old 11-02-2017, 04:18 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by vette8121
I thought you ordered a set of Ansen's last week. tm
They ended up only having a set powder coated in black with 454 engraved on the top. I'm trying to find another set polished without engraving, but no luck, so I'm back to my search.
They are no longer manufacturing the classic covers but they are manufacturing some tall covers I'm looking at with the same dimensions as the Chevrolet Performance covers.
They are nice but brake booster clearance is an issue.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:25 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
Been doing the 100% stock-appearing builds, fully rollered, for years now, both the SB's and the BB's.

One shop we build for mandates the 100% stock covers (height-wise) AND only a single thick V/C gasket as well. No problem there!

The BB's are easy, the SB's are more labor intensive.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With the Chevy performance covers in your post above we even have used these with a complete stud girdle on the mech-roller platform. Strongly recommend NOT using any cam buttons, order the stepped-nose cam and have the unit built using a thrust plate. BB's are simple using the plate, there's no chasing cam end-play and the t/cover choice doesn't matter. Here's a couple shots, the finished one is a 496, these come in at over 500 HP and 550# Torque. We use SBC intake valves and Mopar exhausts on these oval port heads to get these numbers!
Thanks, That is good info. My machinist seems to know what he's doing and was highly recommended throughout the area. It's nice to hear someone else is backing up what he says and is doing.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:32 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I used some taller than stock, factory looking covers to clear a shaft rocker setup. Clears the booster just fine. (69 BBC)
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 06:49 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That picture with the Chevy performance covers has a hydraboost system. You may get by with a smaller brake booster
OldCarBum (11-02-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

generally the polylocks are the interference problem. the stock jam nuts work just fine and don't stick up so high as long as there is enough thread to stick up a thread or 2 above the nut. the polylocks are for constant adjustment of solids without wearing out the jam nut. and why eddy heads? they don't flow much better than iron rectangle heads. Brodix or AFR for very little more money make a lot better power.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-04-2017 at 12:40 PM.
OldCarBum (11-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Chevrolet Performance Valve Covers

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Performance Valve Covers