C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leak in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:56 AM
istmir1969
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leak in cold weather

The cold weather finally hit Minnesota this week (30s). I filled the gas tank and parked my 74 BB for the winter and now notice a fuel leak. It seems to be coming either from the upper hose into the fuel pump or the fuel pump itself. This happened last winter as well. I bought hoses and pump, but then this spring, no more leak.

Does anybody else have a winter leak? I am going to replace everything, but was curious as to anybody else running into this issue.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:44 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

have you tried tightening the hose clamps?
Old 11-03-2017, 10:58 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes something contracts in winter causing leak. I would look to tighten loose items but I guess without removing tank impossible?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:55 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I really doubt temps have anything to do with the leak. I bet the leak was always there. But when things were hot out you had more evaporation, leak was less noticable.

Time for new hoses. Purchase the good stuff that is compatable with that lousy Ethanol. Get new clamps too. The kind that require a nutdriver or socket to torque instead of a screwdriver. If you put the front end up on ramps the fuel supply line is not as likely to drain on your face when changing.

Does the B.B. require an special "S" hose like the SBC at the fuel pump? If so, buy it don't make it.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:52 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I really doubt temps have anything to do with the leak. I bet the leak was always there. But when things were hot out you had more evaporation, leak was less noticable.

Time for new hoses. Purchase the good stuff that is compatable with that lousy Ethanol. Get new clamps too. The kind that require a nutdriver or socket to torque instead of a screwdriver. If you put the front end up on ramps the fuel supply line is not as likely to drain on your face when changing.

Does the B.B. require an special "S" hose like the SBC at the fuel pump? If so, buy it don't make it.
I replaced the "S" hose last year and I have to tell that it's crap. Was not cheap at all and is already cracking the outsid, beside the ID diameter was way bigger than the gas pioe, so it require to tight it quite a bit. I will find a longer route to avoid any collapse, but not more "S" hose.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:14 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Negative on the longer route. You must have bought a knock-off. A quality "S" hose should last for several years. (Mine is 8, no cracks) Too many C3 owners try to make their own "S" hose and fail. You must use a preformed, correct dia, correct length, Ethanol safe hose.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:28 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Negative on the longer route. You must have bought a knock-off. A quality "S" hose should last for several years. (Mine is 8, no cracks) Too many C3 owners try to make their own "S" hose and fail. You must use a preformed, correct dia, correct length, Ethanol safe hose.
I don't seek to do a "S" but a longer route w/o closed curves.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetero
I don't seek to do a "S" but a longer route w/o closed curves.
a good quality pre formed S hose is the way to go

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel leak in cold weather

Quick Reply: Fuel leak in cold weather