C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI transplant heater hoses

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

Default TPI transplant heater hoses

Fo those of you who have put an L98 TPI nto your C3's, I am starting to put my cooling system together and have a question. Since this engine has a reverse water pump, do I need to be concerned with my heater hose layout? I don't think I do, but wanted some confirmation as to if it all goes back the same way as with the original engine. And the heater valve goes into the 5/8 hose and the steam vent goes into the 3/4 hose. Tried a bunch of searches without much luck. Just trying to be PROACTIVE here. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Fo those of you who have put an L98 TPI nto your C3's, I am starting to put my cooling system together and have a question. Since this engine has a reverse water pump, do I need to be concerned with my heater hose layout? I don't think I do, but wanted some confirmation as to if it all goes back the same way as with the original engine. And the heater valve goes into the 5/8 hose and the steam vent goes into the 3/4 hose. Tried a bunch of searches without much luck. Just trying to be PROACTIVE here. Thanks.
When I installed TPI into mine, I chose to retain the original accessory drive belt system instead of using the later single belt system. This allowed the use of a regular Stewart pump, instead of a reverse flow pump. Problem solved.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Thanks Rotonda, but I kept the entire TPI set up including the serpentine belt/water pump. That decision has been the most challenging, including the PS pump set up. But thats all done, now I need to do this. There are a few other forum members that have done this and I have talked with over time so I will probably reach out to them.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 PM
jetmech
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 5/8 hose coming off of the throttle body runs to the shutoff valve and then on to the heater core. The 3/4 hose comes off of the top of the water pump, this is the suction side, and goes to the heater core. I hope this helps.
Mike
Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Jetmech thanks. That was what I had figured out. I had bypassed the TB and have the shutoff where you said. Just plumbing in the steam vent line into the 3/4" back to the pump now. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:11 AM
jetmech
Racer

Jetmech thanks. That was what I had figured out. I had bypassed the TB and have the shutoff where you said. Just plumbing in the steam vent line into the 3/4" back to the pump now. I appreciate the help.
I would suggest that you use the stock C4 oil cooler setup if you have it. I fought high oil temps with my 91 L98 transplant until I installed the stock oil cooler back on the motor and plumbed it back into the cooling system.

Mike
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

I was lucky enough to have the KC option parts on the engine I bought so it is already in place. I probably am overthinking this and your explanation above made it simple. I need to plumb in the steam line coming off the back of the manifold and will put that into the 3/4" line. I am bypassing the TB. I appreciate your help.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:18 PM
jetmech
Racer

I was lucky enough to have the KC option parts on the engine I bought so it is already in place. I probably am overthinking this and your explanation above made it simple. I need to plumb in the steam line coming off the back of the manifold and will put that into the 3/4" line. I am bypassing the TB. I appreciate your help.
No problem.

Get notified of new replies

To TPI transplant heater hoses

Quick Reply: TPI transplant heater hoses