C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake rebuild tip

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 PM
thecorvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Parking brake rebuild tip

Good afternoon Everyone:

Just wanted to share a trick I learned. The hardest part for me was installing the retainers on the springs that hold the shoe against the backing plate.
A solution was to pull the shoe out just far enough to slide a hemostat (shown in the image) behind the shoe. Clamp the hemostat firmly on the anchor. If you try to use a pair of needle nose pliers, you will end up pulling the shoe so far out that the anchor no longer extends through the shoe. Another benefit is the hemostat locks in place freeing up a hand. Be sure the hemostat has teeth on the tips to grab the anchor.

Then place the retainer and spring over the anchor,(shoe has already been installed over the anchor in a prior step) then push a 5/16 1/4 inch socket through the hole in the hub to hold the retainer against the spring against the shoe. (tricky, but doable). You will only use the socket to apply pressure. The hemostat will do all the twisting.

Once everything is lined up, gently apply pressure on the socket while twisting the hemostat that still firmly attached to the anchor. With a lot of patience, the retainer and anchor will eventually line up, apply a little more pressure, twist hemostat 90 degrees and your spring is locked in place. Repeat three more times.

This is the best I can explain the procedure. Once you reach this point it should make sense.

Also, www.corvettemagazine.com has a very good step by step article on how to assemble the parking brakes without removing the hub. I pretty much followed their steps, only deviating by using a hemostat instead of needle nose pliers.

Also, use old anchors and retainers if possible. The new anchors and retainers are both longer than the originals. They come awfully close the back of the studs protruding from the back of the hub.

Dan
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by thecorvette:
caskiguy (11-05-2017), Greg (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:30 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Very interesting. Did you get the Stainless Steel kit? Did you have any problems installing it? I ask because I've heard reports about issues with fitting the stainless steel parts.

Last edited by carriljc; 11-04-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Parking brake rebuild tip