C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone make 69-72 exhaust system for 2.5" outlet small block exhaust manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DUB
You are correct becasue your old exhaust system was not a TRUE dual system. The bracket I showed a photo of was not needed....but should nowbe used so your dual pipes are secured.

More than likely if you still had a bracket there on your old factory set-up...it was only a single clamp area to hold the one pipe.

IF you are planning on installing a "H' pipe...or 'X' pipe....I would see if you can have that figured out somewhat...so if Alllens can send you the parts that you will weld in yourself.,..at least that has been figured out.

And...for what this is worth...because I have had to deal with exhaust systems that were so welded up that they could not be removed for service work/repairs. So to try to figure out when you are doing this. so IF you have to take it apart...will it be an ease or a ROYAL pain in the backside.

DUB
Your car would have had a different set up on a 1979 with a single arm as shown below. This has to change because you'll need something to hang the intermediate pipe from at the center crossmember. The bracket posted above is available in 2 or 2.5" design depending on which kit you order and what transmission you have.

You'll need to know the tranny, and the size desired (which I'll assume 2.5") with probably an Automatic transmission.

Willcox

Old 11-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Your car would have had a different set up on a 1979 with a single arm as shown below. This has to change because you'll need something to hang the intermediate pipe from at the center crossmember. The bracket posted above is available in 2 or 2.5" design depending on which kit you order and what transmission you have.

You'll need to know the tranny, and the size desired (which I'll assume 2.5") with probably an Automatic transmission.

Willcox

Thanks Ernie. Its a manual transmission and the factory exhaust was no longer on the car when I bought it, it had a true dual exhaust system on it last.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I've used a couple of the complete sets from corvette central that start at 2" at the manifolds and then jump up to 2 1/2 the rest of the way back. Since they make the systems, maybe a call to them could get them to make the front pipes with 2 1/2 at the manifold and then get the rear pipes for the 73.
The following users liked this post:
Priya (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 11:08 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a Bendpak bender so I custom fab my own systems. BUT - why don't you buy a 2 1/2" system from one of the vendors and just cut off the smaller 6" initial head pipe and weld on a pc of 2 1/2"? If you can't do it, take it to a muffler shop.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 68notray
I have a Bendpak bender so I custom fab my own systems. BUT - why don't you buy a 2 1/2" system from one of the vendors and just cut off the smaller 6" initial head pipe and weld on a pc of 2 1/2"? If you can't do it, take it to a muffler shop.
Where can I get those two initial 6" of 2.5" pipe with the proper curve and flange?

My husband says bringing your own parts to an auto repair shop and asking them to put them on is like taking a raw steak to a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you and take the cost of the steak off the menu price.

Last edited by Priya; 11-08-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

As mentioned, if the car is a 4 speed, downpipes from a 65 will work and mate up to the rest of the exhaust system. I did this on my 79 and it worked perfectly.
Priya (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmruschell
As mentioned, if the car is a 4 speed, downpipes from a 65 will work and mate up to the rest of the exhaust system. I did this on my 79 and it worked perfectly.
I'll look into that if I can't get a full 2.5" system.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Priya,

Just keep this in mind.

Due to not knowing if you are going to try to use the exhaust hanger I posted a photo of.

I have run into many exhaust systems from various vendors that I have gotten that when the front down pipes were installed. They were short. They are supposed to go back far enough so the center exhaust bracket I have shown that has the area to hold the pipes is also the area that the rear pipe joins to the front pipe...and thus.. ONE muffler clamp (per pipe) is used to seal the pipes and also hold it to the center muffler bracket.

And I have had to many times...extend the portion of the center exhaust bracket to make this happen because the joint where the two pipes meet is in an area that just will not work and a modification is needed.

I am telling you this so you do not get your heart broken when you get your system in only to find out you have a problem. God knows I have many times. I now get them made to what I want. I let them know I want those front down tubes to be longer...because I can always cut off pipe.

And knowing you did not ask....just make sure that whatever you do...the very rear most exhaust hanger at the end of your muffle must be able to allow the pipe to move and flex and not be solidly/rigidly bolted to your frame. I know 'some people' think that rigidly mounting the the very end is fine. That actually makes absolutely no sense because the entire exhaust system forward of that location is allowed to move freely and independent from the frame....because the motor mounts and transmission mount are rubber insulated.

DUB
Priya (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 2.5" Duals

I think it was Magnaflow that has a set of 2.5' dual exhaust that meets in the middle as an X pipe. It was made for a 73 w/o cats and will hopefully fit my 74? I have the 2" RHs that are too small for my 280 rwhp & 2.25" dented duals. Hopefully the 2.5 and the better duals can get me up to 300 rwhp?

R
Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
I think it was Magnaflow that has a set of 2.5' dual exhaust that meets in the middle as an X pipe. It was made for a 73 w/o cats and will hopefully fit my 74? I have the 2" RHs that are too small for my 280 rwhp & 2.25" dented duals. Hopefully the 2.5 and the better duals can get me up to 300 rwhp?

R
"RHs"?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Originally Posted by Priya
"RHs"?
Ram's Horns
Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I checked out the magnaflow web site. They do have a system for 68-73 350 that is 2.5" with an X pipe but don't say what size the inlet at the exhaust manifold is. Presumably 2".
Old 11-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

I checked out the magnaflow web site. They do have a system for 68-73 350 that is 2.5" with an X pipe but don't say what size the inlet at the exhaust manifold is. Presumably 2".
That would mean a 2' pipe meeting a 2.5 pipe. On extra cost alone I'm sure it is 2.5 all the way.

I'm looking forward to seeing mine on the dyno w/2.5 & proper ex.
They ran some mean SBs through the RHs. of course headers were a big improvement!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

That would mean a 2' pipe meeting a 2.5 pipe. On extra cost alone I'm sure it is 2.5 all the way.

I'm looking forward to seeing mine on the dyno w/2.5 & proper ex.
They ran some mean SBs through the RHs. of course headers were a big improvement!
I wanted to run headers on my motor once I convert it to Tuned Port Injection but my husband said I'd better stick to factory cast iron exhaust manifolds due to the tendency of headers to leak. I'm hoping the 2.5" outlet rams horn manifolds are an improvement over the 2" outlet rams horns. I haven't heard or read anything about that.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Default Hubby is Right!

I wanted to run headers on my motor once I convert it to Tuned Port Injection but my husband said I'd better stick to factory cast iron exhaust manifolds due to the tendency of headers to leak. I'm hoping the 2.5" outlet rams horn manifolds are an improvement over the 2" outlet rams horns. I haven't heard or read anything about that.
Hubby is correct, stk is less trouble. Check out these people.

https://www.castheads.com/
Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Hubby is correct, stk is less trouble. Check out these people.

https://www.castheads.com/
Interesting. When I was watching the video I thought my manifolds must be these imported ones because they look like new but they don't have the bracket mounting bosses on them and have "GM" on them and a part #3797902 on them. The ports also look more like the ported one in the video than the unported import manifold he shows. I was at first thinking maybe I could port them a bit myself but I think the outlets look thin enough now that I wouldn't want to attempt to remove any more material.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make 69-72 exhaust system for 2.5" outlet small block exhaust manifolds?