C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 vette, what plug is this for?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Ksp3cialK
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 81 vette, what plug is this for?

I'm redoing more wiring from the previous owner and found a relay connected to the brown wire on the headlight switch, 12v to fuse box and one wire connected to this plug.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:56 AM
Ksp3cialK
Advanced

Bump, no ideas? Its very snug to the harness and does not have much range of motion. I turned the headlights on and off and didn't hear the relay click so either its bad or I have no idea.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

That connector in the picture is for the horn relay. Here are two relays and a connector. Is this what the relay looks like?

Last edited by Street Rat; 11-10-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Ksp3cialK
Advanced

Yes it looks like the black one, any reason to not have it in the plug? This was the last of the around what felt like 100 wire taps all over the dash for digital gauges, aftermarket radio, aftermarket cruise control and wherever else he felt like messing with the wiring.

Also I now realized one of the horn wires is cut under the hood and the horn cover on the steering wheel just falls off.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksp3cialK
Yes it looks like the black one, any reason to not have it in the plug? This was the last of the around what felt like 100 wire taps all over the dash for digital gauges, aftermarket radio, aftermarket cruise control and wherever else he felt like messing with the wiring.

Also I now realized one of the horn wires is cut under the hood and the horn cover on the steering wheel just falls off.
I feel your pain. My ‘81 was wired by Bubba like that. I finally wired another fuse box to clean things up.

Your horn circuit needs to be fixed. Are there reasons why the horn is disconnected?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Ksp3cialK
Advanced

No idea, i just keep finding new surprises, I just took the dash out to get a better look at some stuff. While it's out I plan to now fix the horn and some other stuff, can't wait to have the interior all back together.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Ksp3cialK
Advanced

So, I pulled the wiring out and connected the relay directly to the plug and the horn worked fine. I'm scratching my head as to why they did this. However there are now no more of those scotch wire tap things!

Get notified of new replies

To 81 vette, what plug is this for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 81 vette, what plug is this for?