C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sourcing a '71 front clip in So Cal.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Now knowing that your current front clip is for a different year model.

I can tell you that if you buy an aftermarket one-piece front clip (for example) and install it...you will not have many of the special brackets and parts that get attached to the front clip so other parts can be installed.

DUB
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 PM
vette8121
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sc2dave
There's no damage. I just wanna change it back to a '71 instead of having a "Franken-Vette". Some of you have seen the pics posted and said that the front is from a '73 or '74.
Hi Dave, looks like you've got an interesting project on your hands. I thought I might give you some food for thought. We know from the pictures you posted you have a 73 or 74 front end with I assume all the associated hardware. We have no pics of the rear but I read in a previous post you think it's a 74. I'm not an expert but I believe you could do the rear of the car (back to a 71) with less issues. Although I'm partial, having the 1973 look isn't to bad (1 year only). Don't get me wrong I would prefer a post 73 look myself. Again, just a thought. The one great thing you have going forward is the "FORUM", this group is outstanding. tm
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 PM
sc2dave
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vette8121, here's what it has for the rear.Can this grey piece be changed over to a '71 style? How can I rotate the picture after it's posted?
Attached Images  

Last edited by sc2dave; 11-13-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 PM
vette8121
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sc2dave
Vette8121, here's what it has for the rear.Can this grey piece be changed over to a '71 style? How can I rotate the picture after it's posted?
Dave, the pic is ok don't worry about that, that is not a 74 rear, it looks like a 75-79. So we have 73-74 front, and what looks like a 75-79 rear. I was mistaken, that can be returned to the 71 style but it would be just as involved as the front conversion. To my eye from the pics you've provided, keep in mind I am no expert, the person who did the front and rear bodywork did a good job, plus you have some pretty slick fender flares. In my opinion I think the exterior would be a cool project as it sits right now. tm
Old 11-13-2017, 11:25 PM
sc2dave
Advanced

Originally Posted by vette8121
Dave, the pic is ok don't worry about that, that is not a 74 rear, it looks like a 75-79. So we have 73-74 front, and what looks like a 75-79 rear. I was mistaken, that can be returned to the 71 style but it would be just as involved as the front conversion. To my eye from the pics you've provided, keep in mind I am no expert, the person who did the front and rear bodywork did a good job, plus you have some pretty slick fender flares. In my opinion I think the exterior would be a cool project as it sits right now. tm
Can the rear gray part, the bumper? be changed to a '71? Or is the '71 body a full one piece?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

oh,ok. this is for 71 beater for 1000? you also need to change over the rear bumpers too then. Let this go for now. you have a LOOOOONNNNG way to go before you start worrying about anything this involved. study up on doorgunner's 68 convert project thread and Priya's rear bumper conversion thread. but in the meantime, you need to make that car run-to see if powertrain is salvageable. stop and steer. and before you do any of that, study the 10 rules for buying your first C3 sticky at top of the C3 general forum and check this car's frame and birdcage tor rust. and then you have to chase down paperwork for this car. if it can't be titled, it is a parts car no matter how perfect it is, and this guy has a laundry list of work it needs. I think I am gonna be spending the winter turning a 75 vert I picked up recently into a chrome car, so I should have a few more tips and tricks posted by spring.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-14-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

after above post I saw the pics on the second page. that is probably a 74 rear body to match the 74 nose. the 75-up bumper is a replacement that is bolt-on. then you need to figure out if somebody did this swap by glassing the 71 rear, or replacing the entire body. looking at the body, I would think it is a whole body swap. looking at the car, I doubt the body has ever been off of the frame. I am starting to doubt this is a 71. I think this is a 74 car with screwy paperwork and/or vin tag. if so, this is a parts car. also, if it was a 71 with 74 nose and body swapped, it would most likely not have correct 73-74 5mph bumper cushions and framework under the front bumper cover. I would bet the correct rear bumper shocks for 74 are under that rear bumper too. and the front bumper cover looks to have rotted away and fallen off like all 73-75 front bumpers did. but it doesn't look like a car somebody did this much work to. this looks like an original, neglected 74 with a replacement rear bumper and some 71 vacuum switches stuck in under the dash. get the engine code and vin number off the pad on the engine block in front of the right cylinder head. my gut feeling is this car was stolen 30 or so years ago and an attempt was made to re-number it. then it got parked and forgotten.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-14-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What I would need to know is what is behind that rear bumper cover in regards to impact structure or lack of impact structure. THAT will tell us a lot on what year frame you have and how much has been changed.

Because the fuel door is NOT for a 1974.

DUB
Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Dave, I could come up next Monday or Tuesday and see what you got. Looks like an interesting project to say the least. Big blocks always spark my interest. Let me know.
Ed
Old 11-15-2017, 12:12 AM
sc2dave
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lobzila
Dave, I could come up next Monday or Tuesday and see what you got. Looks like an interesting project to say the least. Big blocks always spark my interest. Let me know.
Ed
OK. PM me your number.

Quick Reply: Sourcing a '71 front clip in So Cal.....