C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack and Pinion

Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 PM
ThePabst
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rack and Pinion

Just parked the old girl for a long winters surgery. The next step for my 78 is rack and pinion. Talk to me about your wins and defeats. Zip has a kit, is that any good?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:03 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I did mine in my '72....winter 01-02 before any kits came out....

so did my own design work, and had it fabbed up locally.....

junkyard '89 Grand Am rack, happened to be NEW when I pulled it.....

only TWO universal joints...not 3 as per the kits....

running fine since then....

The following users liked this post:
ThePabst (11-12-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:48 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't know about the zip kit, but the Steroids conversion gives you everything you need in one package - all parts are included, and you can easily do it in a weekend. I did it to my car and love it.

I do have to call out that depending on if you have headers (and what kind is probably a factor) you may need to dimple one of them for the steering knuckle. Again, this is steeroids, not sure about the kit you mentioned.

Last edited by cooper9811; 11-13-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I have the Steeroids setup on my '79. I have Hooker Super Comp headers and everything fits fine. The steering is much tighter than stock. Installation is straightforward except for setting up the connection between the steering column and the rack. Getting the brackets and U-joints aligned properly is challenging. I think that took me as much time as the rest of the installation put together. I also had an issue with one of the U-joints in the column connection coming apart and had to replace it a couple of years ago. Otherwise its been very reliable for many years.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePabst
Just parked the old girl for a long winters surgery. The next step for my 78 is rack and pinion. Talk to me about your wins and defeats. Zip has a kit, is that any good?
Same for me, waiting for parts to arrive , went with Flaming River unit for my 78.

Since I use my car for track days, I went with the extra stiff frame cradle Flaming river uses. I cannot afford the R&P to bend for track days.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:06 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Steeroids on my '79 with doug's headers/sidepipes. Did not fit, had to dimple one of the tubes.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 AM
ThePabst
Instructor

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
Steeroids on my '79 with doug's headers/sidepipes. Did not fit, had to dimple one of the tubes.
I have a B-Cool direct fit rad with electric fans and Hooker classic headers.

I have been fighting a WAR with leaks and squeaks between the front tires. The old school the steering is absolute comedy and truly detracts from enjoying my car. Last winter she got a Tremic 5 speed and a hydro throw out. Great mod for a 300K plus daily driver.... but now that the trans is working so well, it really shines a light on the shortcomings up front.

Last edited by ThePabst; 11-14-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

I'm quite pleased with the handling now. Steeroids conversion, spreader bar, street and slalom suspension, and 18" wheels with Y rated tires. Handles and rides nicely. Nothing at all like how it was when I bought it.

All that with the 6 speed mades it a nice steady high speed cruiser for interstate travel, and it's not to shabby on the autocross track. Still gets worked over by miatas but what are you gonna do...
Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM
ThePabst
Instructor

I'm quite pleased with the handling now. Steeroids conversion, spreader bar, street and slalom suspension, and 18" wheels with Y rated tires. Handles and rides nicely. Nothing at all like how it was when I bought it.

All that with the 6 speed mades it a nice steady high speed cruiser for interstate travel, and it's not to shabby on the autocross track. Still gets worked over by miatas but what are you gonna do...
Yep, used to be the VW Rabbits making you look like a fool on the AC track... now anywhere you go its the damn Miatas killing it. Can't touch em at the club races on the turns and anything you take from them on the straights they take back on the curvy stuff. I get that, and you like what you like, but nothing beats one of our plastic pigs shattering windows and spilling 'gold chain' all over the road. Nothing beats the sound of an 8 screaming through headers.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Very true. I get a lot of respect out on the track for thrashing around in a C3. It is loads of fun and seems to entertain the spectators.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM
ThePabst
Instructor

Very true. I get a lot of respect out on the track for thrashing around in a C3. It is loads of fun and seems to entertain the spectators.
The later C3 is finally... slowely... getting some respect. When I was a kid, even I, a huge gear head and Vette lover got a little tired of seeing the same old thing year after year. Especially since the frame was the same ol early 60's design. But, the brand survived amid crushing rules, politics and trends fighting against it. A true survivor, even stronger than the Mustang. A least there was never a Corvette II... Christ! What the hell would that have looked like? A fiberglass Vega? Oh god, I need a shower now.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:41 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Off topic... I had a Mustang II. I actually liked it..... but it sure wasn't in the same class as a vet or even a "classic" mustang. Really just a sporty Pinto.

I'd buy one again for the right price (cheap) just to hotrod it up. Not sure how far I could push it, but it could be pretty cool.

Last edited by cooper9811; 11-14-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM
ThePabst
Instructor

Originally Posted by cooper9811
Off topic... I had a Mustang II. I actually liked it..... but it sure wasn't in the same class as a vet or even a "classic" mustang. Really just a sporty Pinto.

I'd buy one again for the right price (cheap) just to hotrod it up. Not sure how far I could push it, but it could be pretty cool.
All I can picture is an M2 after 5 or 6 upstate NY winters. Like I said, you like what you like... All is well in the car world. I'll tip my hat to the M2 Cobra. Its still a good looking car.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

My favorite 70s car as a kid was the 240/260/280z cars. Loved them. Had a few Z-cars between 1998-2004. Now that I have a C3 I'll never look back.
ThePabst (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:02 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I went with the Flaming River kit on my car for the welded cradle. It did not fit on my 68 big block however. It hit on the oil pan and the headers were not going to work at all. To make the cradle fit, you have to pound it in place with a large dead blow hammer. I returned it and got the Steeroids kit. The mounting system is not a beefy as the Flaming river kit, but it fit on my car. I have Hooker headers and side pipes and did not have to dimple anything.
Nothing against Flaming River as there kit looks a lot beefier than the Steeroids, but it just did not fit on my car.

Last edited by Lobzila; 11-15-2017 at 06:02 AM.
ThePabst (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:18 AM
ThePabst
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lobzila
I went with the Flaming River kit on my car for the welded cradle. It did not fit on my 68 big block however. It hit on the oil pan and the headers were not going to work at all. To make the cradle fit, you have to pound it in place with a large dead blow hammer. I returned it and got the Steeroids kit. The mounting system is not a beefy as the Flaming river kit, but it fit on my car. I have Hooker headers and side pipes and did not have to dimple anything.
Nothing against Flaming River as there kit looks a lot beefier than the Steeroids, but it just did not fit on my car.
Beefy is better, but even under race conditions the stress on the R and P is surprisingly small. Not to diminish the importance of changing direction from time to time... LOL.

If you look at some of the newer cars and trucks, its surprising how small and almost flimsy the rack mounting is.

Last edited by ThePabst; 11-15-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 AM
ThePabst
Instructor

My favorite 70s car as a kid was the 240/260/280z cars. Loved them. Had a few Z-cars between 1998-2004. Now that I have a C3 I'll never look back.
I remember the first time I saw a Z... mid summer circa 76-77, on my paper route; it was baby blue, super low and wow, it looked like a rocket ship. I assumed it was an exotic like a Lambo or Ferrari. Very few cars impressed me like that. (Maybe the 72 Cutlass convertible or the 76 Caprice Classic with skirts and trim.)

Just like when I met my wife, I was thinking, "I'll never be able to afford something like that". I was right both times!

My first REAL job was at Thrifty rent a car (Shifty Dent a Car, we called it) at the airport in Rochester. We did Valet parking as well as rentals. I got to drive absolutely everything, Chevette thru Jag. Wow what a great job!! (I swear I still have it if I didn't get fired for doing front wheel donuts one night in some poor slobs El Dorado.) Then one night a guy dropped off a Z, I talked with him, "Its a WHAT!!??? A Datsun??!! Next time he brought in a Mazda RX3. That was an amazing car as well. They rotted like witches teeth, but real cool as well. It was the start of some serious competition for the big three.

Last edited by ThePabst; 11-15-2017 at 08:49 AM.
AboveTheLogic (11-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Rack and Pinion

Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Originally Posted by ThePabst
All I can picture is an M2 after 5 or 6 upstate NY winters. Like I said, you like what you like... All is well in the car world. I'll tip my hat to the M2 Cobra. Its still a good looking car.
Yeah, I can imagine that would be pretty rough on one of those cars. If I ever did anything like that, it would be more for nostalgia than anything else, and it would have to a pretty cheap purchase. Finding one not needing a ton of body work would be tough here too.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:09 PM
77-L48
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bare Rack and Pinion for sale if anyone wants to build their own brackets:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...3-upgrade.html

Thanks,
Joel
Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by mrvette
I did mine in my '72....winter 01-02 before any kits came out....

so did my own design work, and had it fabbed up locally.....

junkyard '89 Grand Am rack, happened to be NEW when I pulled it.....

only TWO universal joints...not 3 as per the kits....

running fine since then....

Do you have any pics of the steering shaft using only 2 universals? I'd love to eliminate the double u-joint on my Steeroids setup.

Thanks
Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion