C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 ls5 coupe power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by thelal1
Brakes, do you it is time to change the mc?
No. Absolutely not. Changing to a new MC is when your foot goes to the floor or no longer holds pressure. You have none of that. You have good brakes. I believe with time you will adapt to their sensitivity. If it were mine I would pull the MC forward as far as the lines would allow. Try to get a piece of clay on the end of the rod, tighten nuts, remove MC and see how much gap you have. I suspect the rod is the culprit. Is your brake pedal high off the floor?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:33 PM
thelal1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Ok, you have some history info. But still unknown is, if its the correct setup. Some MC only fit 3-4 yrs. then changed again. The power brake MC is different than manual. Its easy for a novice to order & install the wrong unit. This goes back to post #11.

Supposedly the rod has to have a air gap between the tip and the MC piston. Don't remember how much, maybe 0.100". I recall someone stating to put some clay / Silly-Putty on the rod tip. Snug down the two MC nuts, apply brake, remove MC, inspect thickness of clay (or lack off). Without a gap, it is possible to have your brake pads dragging ALL the time. Not good. But too much of a rod gap allows the pads to be retracted. Not good either.

And as far as a adjustable booster rod? I believe that is accomplished at the clevis under the dash. But I think some yrs are non-adj.
I don't know if my response got to you but when I called the dealership today they put me thru to the General mgr. He told me that they put all new brakes on the car, could brakes need rebleed, bad proportioning valve?.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:37 PM
thelal1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
No. Absolutely not. Changing to a new MC is when your foot goes to the floor or no longer holds pressure. You have none of that. You have good brakes. I believe with time you will adapt to their sensitivity. If it were mine I would pull the MC forward as far as the lines would allow. Try to get a piece of clay on the end of the rod, tighten nuts, remove MC and see how much gap you have. I suspect the rod is the culprit. Is your brake pedal high off the floor?
Brake pedal and clutch pedal are dead even
Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

One other thing comes to mind. Maybe the front calipers are "grabby" because the rears brakes are doing nothing at all. That could be a Proportioning Valve issue. And maybe, just maybe the MC, but not to likely.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Maybe everybody, you, I and gn mngr are overlooking the simple explanation. Somebody put some pads and rotors on there for race track use.

Quick Reply: 1971 ls5 coupe power brakes