C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 ls5 coupe power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 PM
thelal1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1971 ls5 coupe power brakes

What would power brakes so touchy. A little pressure is like slamming them on
Old 11-15-2017, 10:42 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

is this a new issue or it has always been this way?
are you sitting too close to the steering wheel?
has anything been done to the brake system as far as modifications including the car originally didnt have power brakes and someone added them?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 PM
thelal1
Pro

Originally Posted by MelWff
is this a new issue or it has always been this way?
are you sitting too close to the steering wheel?
has anything been done to the brake system as far as modifications including the car originally didnt have power brakes and someone added them?
Found out the ls5 I bought had power brakes added to it. They used the rod that goes with kit between power booster and master cylinder. Since then the brakes has always been touchy. Could that rod be the issue?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:33 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Must be nice. Don't complain. Some of us have to drag our feet.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 PM
thelal1
Pro

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Must be nice. Don't complain. Some of us have to drag our feet.
Is there two holes on the brake pedal, one for power brakes ,one for manual. Could the pedal setup for manual brakes be the issue?
Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Silver spurs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brakes

Originally Posted by thelal1
What would power brakes so touchy. A little pressure is like slamming them on
Google reaction disc. Sometimes when replaceine master cyl someone pulls rod from booster and it falls inside the booster.it is a rubber disc about a 1/4 thick. If it is gone you can shine a light in booster and see a shiny spot after you pull the rod out.if gone find another one ,stick on rod with a dab of grease put it together, making sure rod is adjusted properly
Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Is there two holes on the brake pedal, one for power brakes ,one for manual. Could the pedal setup for manual brakes be the issue?
I vote no on the two holes on pedal arm itself. However, I believe the clevis next to the firewall might on some models. And different length rods to the MC. Or adjustable rods on another. IDK
Just remembered. The master cyl piston "depth" are different between manual & power. Thats why it is so important to order the correct MC.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 11-17-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM
thelal1
Pro

Default 1971 power brakes

Originally Posted by Silver spurs
Google reaction disc. Sometimes when replaceine master cyl someone pulls rod from booster and it falls inside the booster.it is a rubber disc about a 1/4 thick. If it is gone you can shine a light in booster and see a shiny spot after you pull the rod out.if gone find another one ,stick on rod with a dab of grease put it together, making sure rod is adjusted properly
Took off the two 9/16 nuts off of Master cylinder to remove it. It doesn' t want to come off, any reason why not?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:41 AM
MelWff
Race Director

did you remove the steel brake lines?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:47 AM
thelal1
Pro

Default 1971 corvette

[QUOTE=MelWff;1595988650]did you remove the steel brake lines?[/QUote

no
Old 11-17-2017, 11:06 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Check to make sure the master cylinder is correct for power brakes. 1-1/8" bore for power and 1" for manual; if the PO who added the power assist neglected to install the proper master, it will make the brakes overly touchy. Ask me how I know.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:08 PM
thelal1
Pro

Default Brakes

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Check to make sure the master cylinder is correct for power brakes. 1-1/8" bore for power and 1" for manual; if the PO who added the power assist neglected to install the proper master, it will make the brakes overly touchy. Ask me how I know.
I read somewhere someone did this and shimmed when backing off to make brakes not so touchy
Old 11-17-2017, 01:15 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

If you remove the brake lines from the master, then you are in up to your elbows with bleeding the entire system. But thats another thread on here. If you just want to inspect the MC and the rod, leave the lines attached. If you are trying to figure out if the MC is manual or power you will need a picture to compare the piston ends. That picture was on this forum back in Sept. Side by side shot of both types of MC.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:21 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I read somewhere someone did this and shimmed when backing off to make brakes not so touchy
The issue in the case of manual vs. power master is cylinder bore size, not travel. Shimming won't change the effect of bore size, it will just change pedal travel before the brakes engage.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:07 PM
thelal1
Pro

If you remove the brake lines from the master, then you are in up to your elbows with bleeding the entire system. But thats another thread on here. If you just want to inspect the MC and the rod, leave the lines attached. If you are trying to figure out if the MC is manual or power you will need a picture to compare the piston ends. That picture was on this forum back in Sept. Side by side shot of both types of MC.
when I took nuts off of MC,I could only get it to move out about one inch with the lines connected. My buddy said to gently smack it with rubber hammer, what is your thought.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:01 PM
MelWff
Race Director

how is going to move more with the lines attached?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

when I took nuts off of MC,I could only get it to move out about one inch with the lines connected. My buddy said to gently smack it with rubber hammer, what is your thought.
Be careful. Don't want to kink a brakeline. You should be able to move the MC enough to see the back of unit and inspect the piston style. One is flush with the casting. One is inset. Any more than that and the lines will have to come off. Its your call.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 11-17-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 ls5 coupe power brakes

Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 PM
thelal1
Pro

Be careful. Don't want to kink a brakeline. You should be able to move the MC enough to see the back of unit and inspect the piston style. One is flush with the casting. One is inset. Any more than that and the lines will have to come off. Its your call.
The previous owner got back to me, he said the the MC, rod and Brake booster were a kit bought from Corvette Central. The rod has no adjustment and the brake pedal is on correct hole.
loosen Master Cylinder up to shim 3/8 inch pedal has little travel before catching.
Can that rod be machined down,shorter.to give me the same or can a new adjstable rod be found?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:37 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

The previous owner got back to me, he said the the MC, rod and Brake booster were a kit bought from Corvette Central. The rod has no adjustment and the brake pedal is on correct hole.
loosen Master Cylinder up to shim 3/8 inch pedal has little travel before catching.
Can that rod be machined down,shorter.to give me the same or can a new adjstable rod be found?
Ok, you have some history info. But still unknown is, if its the correct setup. Some MC only fit 3-4 yrs. then changed again. The power brake MC is different than manual. Its easy for a novice to order & install the wrong unit. This goes back to post #11.

Supposedly the rod has to have a air gap between the tip and the MC piston. Don't remember how much, maybe 0.100". I recall someone stating to put some clay / Silly-Putty on the rod tip. Snug down the two MC nuts, apply brake, remove MC, inspect thickness of clay (or lack off). Without a gap, it is possible to have your brake pads dragging ALL the time. Not good. But too much of a rod gap allows the pads to be retracted. Not good either.

And as far as a adjustable booster rod? I believe that is accomplished at the clevis under the dash. But I think some yrs are non-adj.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 11-17-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 PM
thelal1
Pro

Default B

Ok, you have some history info. But still unknown is, if its the correct setup. Some MC only fit 3-4 yrs. then changed again. The power brake MC is different than manual. Its easy for a novice to order & install the wrong unit. This goes back to post #11.

Supposedly the rod has to have a air gap between the tip and the MC piston. Don't remember how much, maybe 0.100". I recall someone stating to put some clay / Silly-Putty on the rod tip. Snug down the two MC nuts, apply brake, remove MC, inspect thickness of clay (or lack off). Without a gap, it is possible to have your brake pads dragging ALL the time. Not good. But too much of a rod gap allows the pads to be retracted. Not good either.

And as far as a adjustable booster rod? I believe that is accomplished at the clevis under the dash. But I think some yrs are non-adj.
Brakes, do you it is time to change the mc?

Quick Reply: 1971 ls5 coupe power brakes