C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tilt/ telescopic steeing column

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:38 PM
jonsz06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 vette

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Jonsz06,
You never mentioned what year C3 that you own also if you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a Tilt & Telescoping type.
There was a Z07 Off Road Suspension and Brake Package available from 1973 through 1975 but there was never a Z06 option available for any C3. So your Corvette Forum name doesn't help.

The type of steering column is important because the head portion of the standard column versus the T&T type is very different.

All GM vehicles with locking steering columns had lock cylinders that had the following five positions: START, RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, and ACCESSORY.

Also, the 1969 through 1976 C3 steering columns had a lever on the lower end of the steering column (out in the engine compartment) that attached to a cable coming from the vehicle transmission. You had to be in PARK (auto trans) or in REVERSE (manual trans) in order to rotate your ignition lock cylinder and key from OFF to OFF-LOCK.

The 1977 model year there was a basic steering column change that affected all 1977 through 1982 Vettes. The cable was eliminated and a small lever was added to the steering column head, right behind the ignition key and lock cylinder. You had to trip the lever with your finger in order to be able to rotate the lock cylinder from OFF to OFF-LOCK.

Supply some more information and possibly I can help.

Jim
Hi Jim.
My car is a 1973 Vette with tilt and telescoping steering column. It has a 4 speed transmission.I changed the ignition because I had no key so that's how far I tore the column apart. Now it won't lock.
I don't know how to proceed.
Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.
John
Old 11-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jonsz06
Hi Jim.
My car is a 1973 Vette with tilt and telescoping steering column. It has a 4 speed transmission.I changed the ignition because I had no key so that's how far I tore the column apart. Now it won't lock.
I don't know how to proceed.
Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.
John
Under the hood, down under the brake master cylinder, you should be able to see the end of the steering column sticking out from the dash panel. There should be a lever sticking out of the engine side of the steering column jacket. There should be a cable connected to that lever. When you shift into REVERSE you should be able to see the cable push the lever upward. (If you were to be able to look down the steering column while sitting in the driver seat, you would see that lever positioned at 1 o'clock with your transmission in REVERSE.) If that lever is not at 1 o'clock, you will be able to shut off your engine, but you will not be able to lock the steering column.

Many old Vettes (1969 thru 1976) may no longer have that transmission to steering column cable. Header pipes, corrosion, heat, and age could have caused the cable to become disconnected. In that case, the lever on the lower end of the steering column should be permanently positioned at that 1 o'clock position. The lever permanently wired in place.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM
jonsz06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering column

[QUOTE=Jim Shea;1596029592]Jonsz06,
You never mentioned what year C3 that you own also if you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a Tilt & Telescoping type.
There was a Z07 Off Road Suspension and Brake Package available from 1973 through 1975 but there was never a Z06 option available for any C3. So your Corvette Forum name doesn't help.

The type of steering column is important because the head portion of the standard column versus the T&T type is very different.

All GM vehicles with locking steering columns had lock cylinders that had the following five positions: START, RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, and ACCESSORY.

Also, the 1969 through 1976 C3 steering columns had a lever on the lower end of the steering column (out in the engine compartment) that attached to a cable coming from the vehicle transmission. You had to be in PARK (auto trans) or in REVERSE (manual trans) in order to rotate your ignition lock cylinder and key from OFF to OFF-LOCK.

The 1977 model year there was a basic steering column change that affected all 1977 through 1982 Vettes. The cable was eliminated and a small lever was added to the steering column head, right behind the ignition key and lock cylinder. You had to trip the lever with your finger in order to be able to rotate the lock cylinder from OFF to OFF-LOCK.
eerQUOTE]
The lock cable works. The steering column - the telescopic part does not lock, in other words, the steering column keeps going in and out, I can't get it to lock in place.

Quick Reply: tilt/ telescopic steeing column