C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap Thoughts (from those who have done them)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:14 PM
SHIFT A
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Save Thousands on an LS swap

I had parted out a few cars/trucks in the past so when I did my LS swap, I bought a whole donor car (2001 Camaro Z28, LS1 with T56). I paid $4,500 for the complete car in great condition with 116k miles. After I took the engine, trans, cpu/bcu, wiring harness, gauge cluster, and electric fans with radiator to swap into my 1968, I still made $7,000 selling the rest of the Camaro (I kept a log and total of every part sold); That's If you have more time than money.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:55 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SHIFT A
I had parted out a few cars/trucks in the past so when I did my LS swap, I bought a whole donor car (2001 Camaro Z28, LS1 with T56). I paid $4,500 for the complete car in great condition with 116k miles. After I took the engine, trans, cpu/bcu, wiring harness, gauge cluster, and electric fans with radiator to swap into my 1968, I still made $7,000 selling the rest of the Camaro (I kept a log and total of every part sold); That's If you have more time than money.

Wow you made that much just selling off parts on that Camaro not counting the drivetrain? That's impressive!

I was planning something similar, I was thinking something along the lines of finding a salvage half ton chevy van or truck with the 6.0 in it from one of the local auction houses. There are quite a few around in the $2k range with about $100k miles on them. Then I could pull the motor and anything else I want, and sell the trans, diff, wheels, seats, etc... and make back most of the money.

Glad to hear someone else had success doing that too, it encourages me to give it a shot! As long as I get the vehicle cheap enough, it's hard to imagine I would lose much money after parting everything out. I've had quite a bit of success just selling random parts on craigslist and facebook in the past.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 PM
SHIFT A
Advanced

Originally Posted by mobird
Wow you made that much just selling off parts on that Camaro not counting the drivetrain? That's impressive!

I was planning something similar, I was thinking something along the lines of finding a salvage half ton chevy van or truck with the 6.0 in it from one of the local auction houses. There are quite a few around in the $2k range with about $100k miles on them. Then I could pull the motor and anything else I want, and sell the trans, diff, wheels, seats, etc... and make back most of the money.

Glad to hear someone else had success doing that too, it encourages me to give it a shot! As long as I get the vehicle cheap enough, it's hard to imagine I would lose much money after parting everything out. I've had quite a bit of success just selling random parts on craigslist and facebook in the past.

Yup, I kept everything I wanted and still made $2,500 on top of what I originally paid for the donor car. Its a lot of work completely parting out cars and having to deal with the "all sorts of people" on Craigslist. I also used eBay and ended up making a bit more than on Craigslist even after the eBay fees. I'm sure you could make at least your money back buying a wrecked van/truck, but keep in mind good body parts sell for a good chunk.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 PM
SHIFT A
Advanced

Yup, I kept everything I wanted and still made $2,500 on top of what I originally paid for the donor car. Its a lot of work completely parting out cars and having to deal with the "all sorts of people" on Craigslist. I also used eBay and ended up making a bit more than on Craigslist even after the eBay fees. I'm sure you could make at least your money back buying a wrecked van/truck, but keep in mind good body parts sell for a good chunk.

I ended up parting out over half of 3 cars to build my 1 dream 68 Vette. I had a 66 mustang that I built and sold for $14,000 because I was never really a Ford guy, and it was mostly my dad's idea. With that cash I bought a...

1968 Vette for $9,000, and made over $11,000 in the parts I swapped out/didn't use.

1981 Vette for $1,500, used the chassis with alloy rear end and seats, and made over $8,000 in the parts from it.

and the 2001 Camaro for $4,500, making over $7,000 in the left over parts.

I am in the positive for now, even counting the new/other parts I bought with the profits; So basically a complete awesome car for nothing but a lot, and a lot of hours!... That's until I have to fork out the several thousand it cost to get it painted good.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

I ended up parting out over half of 3 cars to build my 1 dream 68 Vette. I had a 66 mustang that I built and sold for $14,000 because I was never really a Ford guy, and it was mostly my dad's idea. With that cash I bought a...

1968 Vette for $9,000, and made over $11,000 in the parts I swapped out/didn't use.

1981 Vette for $1,500, used the chassis with alloy rear end and seats, and made over $8,000 in the parts from it.

and the 2001 Camaro for $4,500, making over $7,000 in the left over parts.

I am in the positive for now, even counting the new/other parts I bought with the profits; So basically a complete awesome car for nothing but a lot, and a lot of hours!... That's until I have to fork out the several thousand it cost to get it painted good.
That is awesome and really encouraging. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about dealing with craigslist people. I have had my fair share of weird ones...mostly just no shows, or people who call in the middle of the night to ask questions. The occasional crazy, and ALOT of guys who offer you 10% of your fair asking price haha.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 PM
SHIFT A
Advanced

That is awesome and really encouraging. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about dealing with craigslist people. I have had my fair share of weird ones...mostly just no shows, or people who call in the middle of the night to ask questions. The occasional crazy, and ALOT of guys who offer you 10% of your fair asking price haha.
LOL, don't even get me started on Craigslist and now Offer Up people. You got a lot of the worst cases, but don't forget the people who decide to waste your time by being lazy and not bothering to read the add (or play dumb) and ask where you are located and other questions that are already answered in the add; and then they say "dang that's far, can you meet me half way," or "will you take $20 less because I live so far from you," or "oh, that's not going to work for me." And then you get the people who boldly say "ill give you cash today!" with their low offer, as if anyone in their right mind on Craigslist would take anything other than cash!

I am seriously wanting to make a "20 things I hate about Craigslist and Offer Up" YouTube video. Selling on eBay helps you avoid having to deal with so many annoying people, and I really can't complain too much after being able to sell so much through all these sites. Thank goodness for the internet!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:21 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

LOL, don't even get me started on Craigslist and now Offer Up people. You got a lot of the worst cases, but don't forget the people who decide to waste your time by being lazy and not bothering to read the add (or play dumb) and ask where you are located and other questions that are already answered in the add; and then they say "dang that's far, can you meet me half way," or "will you take $20 less because I live so far from you," or "oh, that's not going to work for me." And then you get the people who boldly say "ill give you cash today!" with their low offer, as if anyone in their right mind on Craigslist would take anything other than cash!

I am seriously wanting to make a "20 things I hate about Craigslist and Offer Up" YouTube video. Selling on eBay helps you avoid having to deal with so many annoying people, and I really can't complain too much after being able to sell so much through all these sites. Thank goodness for the internet!

Yep, gotten all of those too! The cash ones crack me up, what other form of payment do people use for craigslist transactions??

My other favorite is the scammers who send the message that says "that item looks to be in perfect condition, I'll send you a check for the full amount and my mover will show up to pick it up for me". haha
Old 11-17-2017, 02:50 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Two caveats here.

If your horsepower target it 700hp or higher, the truck engines are great. If you're goal for hp is lower than that, find a car with the LS engine you want. For the most part, the cars got aluminum blocks, the trucks got cast iron. The weight difference is about 110lbs. The only reason to carry the extra weight is because you plan over 700hp (which is really more than the aluminum block will reliably handle).

Also, when you're parting things out, in my experience, there's higher demand and a better market for interior parts for cars than for trucks. That's where the big bucks are when you part things out. If you buy a wreck (salvage title), look for one with a perfect/nearly perfect interior. Wait to find that.

Finally, as others have mentioned, there's quite a bit of work (and some skill required) to part out a car, and to sell of the pieces in small lots.

If you decide to go fuel injection on your small block 383 (or whatever you have now), consider mega-squirt for that. You'll need a manifold set up for fuel injectors, and you'll need some skill with placing sensors and wiring it. I think there are actually some harnesses made for Mega-Squirt. You can run it as stand alone fuel injection, or you can run it with a distributorless ignition system for full engine management. I've used it on a few mutant 4 banger "Franken-motors" and on a couple of European V8's (one twin turbo, one naturally aspirated).
Old 11-17-2017, 04:32 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Two caveats here.

If your horsepower target it 700hp or higher, the truck engines are great. If you're goal for hp is lower than that, find a car with the LS engine you want. For the most part, the cars got aluminum blocks, the trucks got cast iron. The weight difference is about 110lbs. The only reason to carry the extra weight is because you plan over 700hp (which is really more than the aluminum block will reliably handle).

Also, when you're parting things out, in my experience, there's higher demand and a better market for interior parts for cars than for trucks. That's where the big bucks are when you part things out. If you buy a wreck (salvage title), look for one with a perfect/nearly perfect interior. Wait to find that.

Finally, as others have mentioned, there's quite a bit of work (and some skill required) to part out a car, and to sell of the pieces in small lots.

If you decide to go fuel injection on your small block 383 (or whatever you have now), consider mega-squirt for that. You'll need a manifold set up for fuel injectors, and you'll need some skill with placing sensors and wiring it. I think there are actually some harnesses made for Mega-Squirt. You can run it as stand alone fuel injection, or you can run it with a distributorless ignition system for full engine management. I've used it on a few mutant 4 banger "Franken-motors" and on a couple of European V8's (one twin turbo, one naturally aspirated).
Totally agree on the motors except for one part: the aluminum LS motors tend to cost about twice as much, which doesn't really work with my cheap build idea. Unless I stumble upon a cheap wrecked GTO or something.

The nice thing about the iron blocks is they come in pretty cheap vehicles (like the 2500 Express van) so they can be had much cheaper!

And thanks for the advice, that's really good point about car interior! I've sold a few sets of seats/dash components and they do always seem to bring in more money than I expected. I'm hoping to find one that still has a really nice interior, and at least a few good doors/body panels as they seem to go for good money as well!

Also I figure once everything else is sold and removed, the body/frame will still be worth a hundred or two at the local scrap metal yard just purely based on weight of metal.

Quick Reply: LS Swap Thoughts (from those who have done them)