C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch Gen4 vs. Bosch III Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:20 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Bosch Gen4 vs. Bosch III Injectors

Probably not relevant for most C3 owners (maybe should've posted this on the C4 forum...), but for anyone who has done a port injection conversion on their C3s, I just finished talking with the Fuel Injector Connection folks about the differences between the oft-lauded Bosch III injectors and the later Bosch Gen 4 injectors.

The Bosch Gen 4 injectors have two primary benefits:
1. They maintain a finer atomization in the larger injectors
(beyond 24 lbs); the Gen 3 and Gen 4 are essentially identical in the smaller injectors
2. They are way faster with shorter response times than the Gen 3s; this is particularly important when you get into the larger injectors that have had the holes enlarged (that reduces the response times) or when you're running @ more than 3 bar pressures as the increase in pressure further reduces the response times

You may need an EV1 adapter to use them (I did for my TPI-style FIRST Fuel Injection intake), but FIC will include them for free with your order.

I have been scouring the forums for this information for a while and even some earlier posts on CF from FIC never came to a full conclusion on the benefits of the Gen4 vs the Gen3s, so I figured I should post this here and let the googlebot add it to the googlebrain.

Adam
Old 11-18-2017, 01:39 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Newb, this a pretty interesting topic but there just isn't enough multi-port FI users with a C3 Vette and those that do may not frequent here much because of scarce usable info. I'm sure the C4 section (or newer) would really enjoy this news.

Thx for posting.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Terminal_Crazy
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would probably get a better response on www.gearhead-Efi.com.

Mitch
Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Did you get the answers you need elsewhere? I thought I saw a thread from you about this, but perhaps it got deleted.

Anyway, check out
http://megasquirt.info/

Back when I was a poor college student, I spent too much time researching DIY port-EFI for a Corvair engine. Even with soldering my own megasquirt kit, the do-it-right path grew too much in scope to even start.

I would think that by milling a single-plane intake to handle the Bosch injectors and fuel rails, then adding a simple throttle body in place of the carb, you could a running engine, with most of what you want, quickly. You could perhaps get away with the standard distributor at first, then go to individual coils later.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:35 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Did you get the answers you need elsewhere? I thought I saw a thread from you about this, but perhaps it got deleted.

Anyway, check out
http://megasquirt.info/

Back when I was a poor college student, I spent too much time researching DIY port-EFI for a Corvair engine. Even with soldering my own megasquirt kit, the do-it-right path grew too much in scope to even start.

I would think that by milling a single-plane intake to handle the Bosch injectors and fuel rails, then adding a simple throttle body in place of the carb, you could a running engine, with most of what you want, quickly. You could perhaps get away with the standard distributor at first, then go to individual coils later.
I went with a FIRST Fuel Injection aftermarket TPI-style intake, Bosch 4s with adapters, Holley HP EFI, LS truck coils, and 58x crank trigger.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Bosch Gen4 vs. Bosch III Injectors

Quick Reply: Bosch Gen4 vs. Bosch III Injectors