C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my car is a deathtrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 01:18 PM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think my car is a deathtrap

Driving my car in the rain scares the hell out of me. Almost enough to make me want to get rid of it altogether. If I hit the gas when I take off, even slightly, I can feel the loss of traction. When I hit the brakes I can feel it wanting to slide. I'm about tired of this damn thing. I love my Vette, but I don't want it to be the death of me. Right now, it's my only vehicle - so I'm not sure what I want to do. I might just sell it and buy a cheap motorcycle and a used daily driver like a truck or Jeep. It's alot of fun when it's dry out, but the lack of safety on the C3 is really starting to bother me. No ABS, No traction control, wet weather handling is terrible. I almost slid off the road yesterday trying to take off. My tires aren't top of the line brand wise, but they've got plenty of tread on them. My Camaro was the same way - a wet weather deathtrap. Me and several other people have done alot of work on this car, so I don't want to get rid of it, but the more I drive it in bad weather the more I think about selling it and buying another Jeep.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourstu...s/82vette0.jpg

[Modified by Jman, 11:19 AM 10/9/2002]
Old 10-09-2002, 01:24 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: I think my car is a deathtrap (Jman)

I'm not sure what I want to do. I might just sell it and buy a cheap motorcycle and a used daily driver like a truck or Jeep. done alot of work on this car, so I don't want to get rid of it.
Why not keep the vette and buy a REAL cheap jeep for rainy days? :yesnod:
Old 10-09-2002, 01:27 PM
69schemers
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a good set of tires that are good in the rain. Most High performance tires are not good in the rain. :nonod:
Old 10-09-2002, 01:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Uh. assuming your car is proper condition from frame to suspension, and you still have problems, I suggest you learn to drive....

even when I first got my '72, with lousey suspension/tires/original worn out everything, it still outhandled the GTO....

GENE
Old 10-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I think my car is a deathtrap (mrvette)

I suggest you learn to drive....
I am a very good driver. It's the car that worries me, not my driving.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:34 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I think my car is a deathtrap (69schemers)

I have both the vette and the motorcycle. Trust me, if you are concerned with the vette being the death of you, you don't want a motorcyle. While I can safely drive either under most circumstances, the idiot running a stop sign , pulling out without looking scares the crud out of me. I sooner get hit in the vette.

I have been on wet roads in my vette and I will tell you accelerating in a straight line is not easy. Braking is not a problem. It will stop as it should even with manual brakes. If you keep driving the vette, look into a brake system check and different tires. Acceleration is a problem, but problem brakes will kill you.

Additional option - sand bags in the rear. The lack of weight over the rear tires will affect the car's handling. It is not a nice solution (one tear and there is a mess), but it should help.

[Modified by Robert N, 10:39 AM 10/9/2002]
Old 10-09-2002, 01:36 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

Simple solution, new tires.

Replace those old Goodyear STs with some new all weather tires and you will have a new Vette. I had the same old Goodyears tires on my 80 when I bought it and they suck in the rain/snow. I put some new BF Goodrich Radial TAs on and they are a much better tire. Awesome wet traction, average dry traction, less road noise and the ride is smoother. The key is a tire with channels/grooves for the water to escape. The old style tires don't have them so they slide all over.

[Modified by vettesite, 11:39 AM 10/9/2002]
Old 10-09-2002, 01:37 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

I'm surprised. My Vette is pretty good in the rain. In fact, I test drove the car on a rainy day! Tires can make a HUGE difference in wet weather handling.

Please tell us what tires you currently have on there (believe it or not, I have Big O brand "Grand Am" tires -- I think they're actually Goodyears.)

I had a Toyota pickup with decent no-name radials that was horrible in the rain until I fitted it with Goodyear Aquatreds.

PS: I have a '94 Jeep Cherokee. It has no ABS, no traction control...just a good set of Michelins! :D
Old 10-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Default Re: I think my car is a deathtrap (page62)

Get some good tires :eek: I remember years ago I looped my car on cheap heat cycled older Firestones. Now with BFG Euro T/A's I don't even slow down in pouring rain.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:13 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

A motorcycle definitely isn't the answer to your safety problems. I won't bore everyone with my story, but, IMHO, every time you ride a motorcycle on the street, you're rolling the dice and the consequences of losing are severe. Brake work and some tires should make things much better in the vette. :cheers:
Old 10-09-2002, 02:25 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: I think my car is a deathtrap (The_Dude)

i drove my vette through winter and it did great. i wouldnt have had i another vehicle but i was forced to. i never got stuck or anything. it sounds like you are having brake problems or too much power. retard the timing to kill some power and check the brakes.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: I think my car is a deathtrap ('79ProwlerOrange)

There must be something seriously wrong w/ the alignment or something.

I've driven through snow, ice, rain (heavy rain) and it always was stable.

A buddy of mine had a car that jumped s9ideways and acted basically like you describe. We redid the entire suspension & steering this year and now it's real smooth too. You may need to replace your bushings.

Marck
Old 10-09-2002, 02:55 PM
gerry c
Racer

Driving my car in the rain scares the hell out of me.

My Camaro was the same way - a wet weather deathtrap.
I suggest two things. First get some good tires. Second, LEARN to drive. You sound like a person who learned to drive in a low H.P. FWD car. FWD is loads easier to drive in the rain. Third, if the first two do not work, disable your posi unit, you will be one legged then but at least if you lose traction with power you will tend to go straight.

If those don't work buy a cheap FWD car for the rain. Like others have said, if you are scared now in the rain, you will be scared all the time on a scooter.

Old 10-09-2002, 02:57 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I feel more comfortable in the Acura in the rain than I do in the 'vette.

HOWEVER- I do not have problems in the vette as long as I concentrate one what I'm doing. Get out of first gear as soon as possible, and I can give full throttle in second without too many hassles.

Just be nice and easy. All else fails, remove spark plug wires.

-Steve

PS Having a weak beater car is really the way to go in the rain.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:04 PM
twotone82
Instructor

Jman:

My car was nasty as well in wet road conditions. I had Goodyear GT+4s on it (worst freaking tires I've ever owned). I switched to Dayton Daytonas and the handling is superb when it rains. Change your sneakers. :)
Old 10-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I think my car is a deathtrap (twotone82)

Thanks twotone and all others who had reasonable responses...First off, don't be so quick to blame my driving, or assume I have no driving skills because I do know how to drive. If I didn't, I'd be dead already becuase driving my 82 in the rain is damn near impossible. I've had 4 Camaros and now a Vette. The Vette si by far the worst in the rain, an I know there is a problem somewhere. I hate to change out those tires because they are in good shape, but I might just have to. I get zero traction in the rain. I'll probably use those tires for a burnout contest or something.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Subaru AWD for that kind of weather...

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To I think my car is a deathtrap

Old 10-09-2002, 03:48 PM
twotone82
Instructor

Jman:

I had a couple Camaros when I was in my teens (one was a '70 pro-street show car). All performed decently in the rain regardless of tires. As other posters have stated, there is very little weight to the rear of a C3. My '82 used to float all over the road in wet conditions (especially concrete highways) with the Goodyears. When I switched to the Daytons, all was solved. The Daytons are cheaper, but that doesn't mean they aren't as good or better. Traction rating is A, treadwear 420, temperature B. Size is 255 60R 15. I think 4 tires cost me 360-400 bucks or so. The model is Daytona Radial S/R.

Also, make sure your alignment is OK.

Good luck, and don't give up on the 'vette! :D
Old 10-09-2002, 04:40 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have only gotten caught in the rain a couple of times with my 68 bigblock. Handling wasnt really a problem but it was scary as heck driving on the Garden State Parkway during rush hour in a downpour without windshield wipers!! :eek: MJ
Old 10-09-2002, 04:49 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

As other posters have stated, there is very little weight to the rear of a C3.
Actually small block C3's are about 50/50 weight distribution, it's the camaro's and firebirds with no weight in the rear!

My vette is fine in the rain with BFG Radial T/A's, my 70 Firebird was awful with Goodyear Eagle S/T's. It is definitely the tires that are causing the problem. Joe

Quick Reply: I think my car is a deathtrap