C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter Horsepower Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Air Filter Horsepower Shootout

Engine Masters produced a new video comparing the many different kinds of air filters and how they affected the engine's horsepower under a wide open throttle:

But with the low hoods on our C3's we don't have enough room to use velocity stacks like the high hood '55 thru '57 Chevys. Ram air will solve much of the restriction problem but only at higher road speeds.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I loved that episode, unfortunately my cold air intake is a 3 inch side breather, wish I could fit the salad bowl under there
Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

We have known velocity stacks were the way to go before World War II.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I loved that episode, unfortunately my cold air intake is a 3 inch side breather, wish I could fit the salad bowl under there
And a Paul Newman one at that- What about a salad shooter for forced induction!!!

I'm feeling better now about my velocity stacks- as they look good AND allegedly work!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:08 AM
fede
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw that comparison and wasn't happy. I bought the Edelbrock PRO-FLO 1000 buying into the 'superior flow capacity' (and because I needed a smaller profile) but seems it sucks!!

I will have to change it at some point.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

This whole series is done very well.....I have watched all the episodes. Much better than most of the Car Shows on TV now.

Brian
Old 11-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

have you watched the road kill series. Its very Entertaining. Watching in order ties them together nicely. Theyre not corvette enthusiasts but have a few c3 episodes that fail and a c4 show. The c4 show is great, they turn it into a cart
Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by fede
I saw that comparison and wasn't happy. I bought the Edelbrock PRO-FLO 1000 buying into the 'superior flow capacity' (and because I needed a smaller profile) but seems it sucks!!

I will have to change it at some point.
That foam element can burn your car down after a back fire. Get rid of it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
have you watched the road kill series. Its very Entertaining. Watching in order ties them together nicely. Theyre not corvette enthusiasts but have a few c3 episodes that fail and a c4 show. The c4 show is great, they turn it into a cart
Agreed! I love Roadkill. Also Hotrod Garage has gotten a lot better too.

If you're into working on your own cars then it's hard to beat the Motortrend shows.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Keep in mind that they are using a 750 HP motor. that's going to demand a lot of air.
Your engine at 350 HP may work fine with one of the filters or stock can with a much lower air demand as they point out in the testing when comparing the losses at the end.

This test also assumes that the air filter is the most restrictive item in the system. In a well built engine with good flowing heads, intake and exhaust it will be, but not likely in a stock or close to stock motor.

With the stock air cleaner can with snorkel(s) you can actually measure the restriction of the air cleaner with a water manometer. Any more than 1 1/2" of vacuum inside the air cleaner box at Full throttle max RPM and it's too restrictive.
The following users liked this post:
mobird (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Keep in mind that they are using a 750 HP motor. that's going to demand a lot of air.
Your engine at 350 HP may work fine with one of the filters or stock can with a much lower air demand as they point out in the testing when comparing the losses at the end.

This test also assumes that the air filter is the most restrictive item in the system. In a well built engine with good flowing heads, intake and exhaust it will be, but not likely in a stock or close to stock motor.

With the stock air cleaner can with snorkel(s) you can actually measure the restriction of the air cleaner with a water manometer. Any more than 1 1/2" of vacuum inside the air cleaner box at Full throttle max RPM and it's too restrictive.

All completely valid points.

So no need to go change your air cleaners if your only making like ~300 hp. (unless you have a dual snorkel with one snorkel taped over )
Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

What I would like to see is a comparison of room temp intake air vs introducing 140*-160*intake air and see what the losses are there. The losses are not linear either I suspect, the power losses would be accumulative due to many factors that hot air changes.

Too many people don't believe that cold air induction is worth a significant amount of HP vs hot under hood air induction.

Not to mention the throttle response and detonation avoidance advantages that cold air offer vs hot air.

In our engines with a carb attached there is also a significant swing in fuel mixture while using hot air for induction.

Maybe this test has been done with reasonably valid results?

Not air restrictive CAI systems vs free flowing hot (relative) air systems, but an apples to apples test.
NewbVetteGuy (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
What I would like to see is a comparison of room temp intake air vs introducing 140*-160*intake air and see what the losses are there. The losses are not linear either I suspect, the power losses would be accumulative due to many factors that hot air changes.

Too many people don't believe that cold air induction is worth a significant amount of HP vs hot under hood air induction.

Not to mention the throttle response and detonation avoidance advantages that cold air offer vs hot air.

In our engines with a carb attached there is also a significant swing in fuel mixture while using hot air for induction.

Maybe this test has been done with reasonably valid results?

Not air restrictive CAI systems vs free flowing hot (relative) air systems, but an apples to apples test.

I'd like to see this as well. The Pauldana air intake system on this forum vs a stock open element air cleaner. It would sell that product a lot better with a back to back dyno comparison.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:20 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I'll stick with what I got. A tall K&N, 4", but with a drop base.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Interesting. They show that the K&N with the side filter taped off using the top filter was BETTER than the whole thing.. ?? Also interesting that the standard base is that much better than the drop base - makes sense though.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 PM
fede
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jim-81
Interesting. They show that the K&N with the side filter taped off using the top filter was BETTER than the whole thing.. ??
Yes, I think that isn't very surprising as air doesn't need to do sharp turn from the horizontal plane to get into the carb. Allowing air coming from the side will produce a turbulent flow at the edge of the carb. Of course, this works because air can flow straight down. That result is probably not representative when there is a hood 1cm or so from the filter top disrupting the air flow.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Has anyone beat in their headers yet?

Get notified of new replies

To Air Filter Horsepower Shootout

Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Has anyone beat in their headers yet?

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not (the internet). That same show (Engine Masters) has a header bash test that shows how little beating in your headers to make them fit actually affects power.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:09 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I liked the comparison.i like there show .the one on the headers was great.
learje (11-25-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by mobird
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not (the internet). That same show (Engine Masters) has a header bash test that shows how little beating in your headers to make them fit actually affects power.

That's what I was referring to. Maybe take all this with a grain of salt. Joe Sherman over on speedtalk says a k&N top filter cover will lose HP unless it is 4" or 5" above the carb from what he tested on a dyno. Looks like the snorkel guys are losing out even if they have a cai.

Last edited by resdoggie; 11-20-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Horsepower Shootout