C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: FlowTech Coated Vette Headers: JUNK!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:56 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Update: FlowTech Coated Vette Headers: JUNK!

Well, I'm sad to say that after almost exactly 12 months of having my FlowTech headers installed rust spots are starting to appear EVERYWHERE.

I've only drive the thing like 3 times and only in the rain once. I don't understand the point of coated headers that start to rust-through, anyway...

After I get everything else done the FlowTechs are getting ditched for some Stan's Tri-Ys...

I should've known that $250 headers were just too cheap. I can't help but feel like I should've just bought the mild steel version and then sent them to Jet Coat...

UGH!

Adam
Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Look Into Doug's

Well that sucks... I hate it when you take a calculated gamble on something like that and are then disappointed. Too many options out there that are sub-par. After receiving and shipping back TWO sets from Patriot and then Hooker, I was also very disappointed. Both showed up with crap welds and visible rust if you looked down in the crevices between pipes near the collectors. The Hookers were horrible right out of the box with blemishes in the plating and some dents in the primary tubes.

I finally gave up and bit the bullet on Doug's Headers (D350) - full length and ceramic coated. They are expensive, but they are really nice quality, fit absolutely perfect, clearance for everything including plug wires and boots, and the collectors are tucked up nicely under the car. I've never been happier with the fit on a set of headers as I am these.

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 11-21-2017 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stingre' (11-26-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:43 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Get a can of spray paint. Much cheaper.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:54 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I suspect most of the headers are made in China because American labor is so costly because of its retirement packages and healthcare costs. I have seen Chinese ads selling long tube headers for $50 per pair in lots of 100 so I suspect most of the headers being sold by American vendors were made in China.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

I recommend trying the high-temp POR-15.... I've used it on mine and they still look quite good after a dozen or so years. Lots cheaper than new headers, especially if they're ok otherwise.

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Well, I'm sad to say that after almost exactly 12 months of having my FlowTech headers installed rust spots are starting to appear EVERYWHERE.

I've only drive the thing like 3 times and only in the rain once. I don't understand the point of coated headers that start to rust-through, anyway...

After I get everything else done the FlowTechs are getting ditched for some Stan's Tri-Ys...

I should've known that $250 headers were just too cheap. I can't help but feel like I should've just bought the mild steel version and then sent them to Jet Coat...

UGH!

Adam
Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

UGH!

Adam
I would expect them to rust from the inside if only coated from the outside. But I think the thickness of the material may also have a effect on how long they last.

I have always purchased un-coated headers and had them done locally so I can see the before and after.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:14 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Send them out and have them coated correctly inside and out.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

UGH!

Adam
I've put two sets of Hooker headers on my '81. They were supposedly coated with ceramic coating. BOTH rusted through the coating. I am now using header wrap. I give up on ceramic coatings. You seem to get nothing but junk these days unless you shell out some big big bucks for headers and coatings.

If I could do it over again I would go with some other brand like Doug's.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have these:

Amazon Amazon

AND had them ceramic coated inside and out locally this year before I installed them. $500 total for everything and they look perfect after this year's driving season...

Last edited by jb78L-82; 11-22-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:56 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

And people bitch about the loss of American manufacturing. I guess they think American factory workers should get paid like the Chinese...

Reminds me of the guy I saw leaving Harbor Freight. His POS F150 was covered in Trump and “Buy American” stickers. I asked him, “What’s the deal with shopping at Harbor Freight?” He looked confused and I pointed to his truck and said “I thought you believed in buying American.” He shrugged, looked embarrassed and said, “But it’s cheap.”

That’s why American manufacturing will never come back.

Last edited by maj75; 11-23-2017 at 09:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by maj75:
AirBusPilot (11-24-2017), Stingre' (11-26-2017), Torqued Off (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

maj75

You hit the nail on the head. American manufacturing has to cost more given the need to provide an affordable wage...something the Chinese don't need. SO, what it takes is Americans to buy American products, no matter the cost or quality. I do it as much as possible. That means buy Fords, not Camry's, even if Camry's are made in Kentucky, and no matter whether the Camry is a better car than Ford. I hear the arguments all the time....when America builds a quality car, I will buy it.....well, they do. Unless we have the masses do what I suggest, we will continue to have fewer jobs for the American workers, we provide jobs for foreign countries, and the money goes out of country. And forget about unions, that is part of the problem. Anyways, this has nothing to do with Flowtech headers...sorry.

My Stainless Work stainless headers are still in fine shape....which is why I chose them over coated headers. By they way, they are made in Ohio.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 11-23-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:27 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Certainly don't want to get into this discussion over the forum but I agree 100% about buying American when possible. However, I will pay more for American products (and do) as long as they are as good (key point) or better than the competitor...I will pay more for quality everyday BUT I will NOT pay more for products that are not as good as the competition......Build a better product AND charge more..I am in....

To be honest, paying more for inferior products, American made or not, is in the end, a poor business model which will ultimately fail......

Last edited by jb78L-82; 11-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AirBusPilot (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Moog is a perfect example here. I will gladly pay more for a products that lasts.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Certainly don't want to get into this discussion over the forum but I agree 100% about buying American when possible. However, I will pay more for American products (and do) as long as they are as good (key point) or better than the competitor...I will pay more for quality everyday BUT I will NOT pay more for products that are not as good as the competition......Build a better product AND charge more..I am in....

To be honest, paying more for inferior products, American made or not, is in the end, a poor business model which will ultimately fail......

Crap headers, etc etc etc, just a symptom,

Help me guys, Whats the right answer?

I cant afford to pay extra for an inferior product just to buy American,

Perhaps that trump supporter shopping at horror tool fright had to have tools to feed mouths and its all he could afford,

Hard to damn that guy When trump amits he bought steel from china for his buildings, his wifes clothes line as his neck ties are made in china,

Trumps reply is thats smart business to buy at the best price, so he pretty much is saying the same thing i made bold above,

So what do us cats do who cant afford inferior products at the same or higher price just to pound our chests we bought American and belittle the guy who doesnt,

Most of our car parts are likely made out of the usa,
Some guy in another thread was upset his gates belt was a branding they owned but farm out to mexico and the belt was junk,

So whats the right answer?

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-24-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:29 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

There isn't one.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I agree with Derek that there isn't one.

What I wish it was that America did build the best products at a reasonable price. But we have to get back to being proud and strong and be the country we used to be with the right values and ethics. Instead it was decided we needed to save the world, and that money is all that matters.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 11-24-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

This really hits a sore spot with me.

Let me begin by stating that it is always my preference to buy a product made in the USA first PROVIDED that it meets my quality needs, even if it means that I have to spend a little more money. I buy from my local small businesses and do all that I can to keep my money in my local community.

That said, it does not take a financial genius to understand that we are now a part of a global economy and the neanderthal days of "ugh, 'murica good" and "ugh, China bad" are no longer necessarily true.

I have bought tons of products made in the USA that were utter crap. I have also bought plenty of products from overseas companies (not just China) that were excellent. It all comes down to QC and accountability of the people doing the work. I am not saying that Chinese products are all fantastic, by and large they are not but discounting something based entirely on its origin is an exercise in foolishness.

Do your homework, be an informed consumer, and spend your money wisely.

As a side, I have my own business selling manufactured motorcycle parts which I have made for me overseas by a company that I have been working with for about 12 years. They do fantastic work, I very rarely have any kind of an issue, and their machining tolerances are spot on. I have tried on multiple occasions to have my products manufactured domestically without success. I retail a specific part for $60 and do not have a large margin on it due to competition. The lowest quote that I received from a domestic machine shop was $200 COST.

I cannot have a business model based on charging 5x what my competitors do and hope that I can find enough "made in the USA" people willing to shell out all that extra $ for the privilege. I know that *I* cannot afford to do that.

Anyway, in conclusion yes there are a ton of crappy products out there on the market REGARDLESS of where they are manufactured.

Get notified of new replies

To Update: FlowTech Coated Vette Headers: JUNK!

Old 11-24-2017, 03:10 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

UGH!

Adam
Make sure your timing is correct. Too far retarded will cook off any header coating (& allow rust). I have my timing on the advanced side (Lars built/curved Delco distributor).

My Headman headers were Jet Hot coated about 20 years ago. Still holding up. I heard the company had some issues to since then...
Old 11-25-2017, 05:23 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
And people bitch about the loss of American manufacturing. I guess they think American factory workers should get paid like the Chinese...

Reminds me of the guy I saw leaving Harbor Freight. His POS F150 was covered in Trump and “Buy American” stickers. I asked him, “What’s the deal with shopping at Harbor Freight?” He looked confused and I pointed to his truck and said “I thought you believed in buying American.” He shrugged, looked embarrassed and said, “But it’s cheap.”

That’s why American manufacturing will never come back.
And it doesn't stop there, when we go to Mc. D to get a chees burger, then it has to cost almost nothing, so what does the staff earn?
And with that salary, where do they buy there tools, my guess is Harbor Freight.

So how do we get people to buy US made?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:06 AM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have been to their factory in CA and watched them being made. Bought a set of ceramic coated shorties and have been very happy with them.

https://www.sandersonheaders.com/

Why buy cheap Chinese crap when you have a choice?

Quick Reply: Update: FlowTech Coated Vette Headers: JUNK!