C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temporarily had turn signals, O happy day

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default temporarily had turn signals, O happy day

Well I finally got the car running well enough to take 'er for a hard ride around the block. When I pulled back in the shop, to my amazement, I had turn signals...both left and right! I confirmed the blinking lights on the exterior(dash was showing them blink also). Soooo, I tried the hazard flasher switch and only got the 2 green dash lights illuminated but no blink(before test drive only 1 of the green lights would illuminate). Tried going back and forth between turn sigs and hazard a few times.....NOW the damn turn signals quit working altogether completely(not even a solid green light illuminating)!!

AND the hazard lights show on the dash(2 green arrows) only if I push down on the brake pedal!

Short of driving this thing off a cliff is there an end to this madness?!! :lol

I do have brake and running lights operating properly. '77 L82, dob May '76

Last edited by Chicago Bob; 11-25-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi CB,
At least on earlier cars there were 2 flashers… one for the turn signals (mounted in a clip on the right side dash pad lower edge), and another for the hazard flasher (on the fuse panel). Not sure if yours are there or not.
Both the turn signals and flashers are VERY sensitive to grounding issues, and will display all kinds of odd operation.
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
Chicago Bob (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:02 PM
zmanabba
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing that I can add is that the hazards are on the same circuit as the brake lights. Try changing the hazard flasher.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Originally Posted by zmanabba
One thing that I can add is that the hazards are on the same circuit as the brake lights. Try changing the hazard flasher.
Will do!

Also going to check the chassis grounds like Alan mentioned.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:45 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I think you find the turn signal/hazzard switch is bad.

New ones are cheap, just get one locally and plug it in temporarily at the harmonica connector at the base of the column to test with.

Last edited by '75; 11-25-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Originally Posted by '75
I think you find the turn signal/hazzard switch is bad.
I think so too Dean. On a different thread I reported how there is a small chip of plastic missing at the switch right at the back side of the lever and the whole mechanism is sorta sloppy...but they did work, just not for long.

Update; Just swapped out hazard flasher at fuse panel with a new one and the 2 green lights on dash FLASH!!.....until you hit the brake pedal that is...wtf!!??

Btw Dean, I'm from Aurora, Il. Moved to NC about 30yrs. ago. My family boated on the lakes up there near you when I was a kid...
good ole Pistakee Bay!
!

Get notified of new replies

To temporarily had turn signals, O happy day

Quick Reply: temporarily had turn signals, O happy day