C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting down the road with weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:00 PM
5.elements
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting down the road with weatherstripping

So, I am going to be starting down the road of replacing the weatherstripping on my 69. I am going to start with the worst and work through one area at a time rather than doing it all at once. Some of the reasoning is money related and some is time.

I am planning on starting with the worst areas which cause the car issues with washes and is possibly the easiest (from what I have ready): the windshield pillar. I have found only a couple of howto's for it though. I am wondering if anyone has a good howto for it or any suggestions before I even order parts.

The list right now is:

the actual weather stripping
3m adhesive remover
3m adhesive

I don't think I will need anything else unless I have to replace the original screws.

Am I correct with the pillar, there are two screws (one top, one bottom) and it just pulls out? Clean the adhesive left over, test fit the new piece, apply adhesive and put it in? Is it really that easy?

I will probably do the rear door window strip next. Any gotchas with that?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:28 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

A very worthwhile repair. As you indicated, removing the screws, scraping/preping the surface and applying the appropriate amount of 3m adhesive will make it an easy repair. I did both the front and rear door pillars together then the weather stripping that wraps around the doors and then the t-top weather stripping. Then, finally, the hood seal. After 20 years, it is still like new. I believe I purchased all from Willcox.
The following users liked this post:
5.elements (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 5.,
There are just a couple of manufacturers of weatherstrip for 68-82 cars.
Many folks write that they have had success with the weatherstrip made by Corvette Rubber Company (CRC).
You might want to shop around to determine who is selling what and also to compare prices.
I believe Willcox sells the CRC weatherstrip and often has it on sale.

Test fit very carefully BEFORE you apply the adhesive so you end up with the strip exactly where it needs to be.
Don't stretch it while installing it.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
5.elements (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 02:34 PM
5.elements
Intermediate

Does anyone know which brand Zip sells?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 5,
You're going to need to call them.
The catalogue is proud to state it's made in North America, but doesn't say by whom.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-30-2017, 03:27 PM
5.elements
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 5,
You're going to need to call them.
The catalogue is proud to state it's made in North America, but doesn't say by whom.
Regards,
Alan
I should have been paying better attention: Corvette Rubber is the manufacturer. It's shown on the zip pages near the title of the part name.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:33 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 795 Likes on 446 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just did a passenger side outer T-top strip on my 68 coupe.
Remove clean well area, wiped off with mineral spirits, watch Acetone near painted surfaces, allow to dry.
Grab a smoke.
Place a fine bead of 3M black adhesive on the mounting surface after careful placement location has been established.
Place a fine bead on the back of the weather striping.
Walk away smoke break again.
About 20 min later if adhesive as started to crust over or set up,
now place a very small amount of adhesive( activator coating) on the mounting surface
then place weather stripping in place. If its a long run work in 12 " increments as it will get all over the place.
CRC through Wilcox, Doc Rebuild rates the best today.
Marshal
5.elements (12-01-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

If you want the original factory look, use the Yellow GM Adhesive. They really slopped it on with a brush at the factory and it is clearly visible but it's really hard NOT to be really neat when your replacing the WS now. Most don't like the sloppy look! Especially after you spend so much time removing the old adhesive and prepping for the new.
Have fun!
Tooch

Last edited by Tooch1; 11-30-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooch1
If you want the original factory look, use the Yellow GM Adhesive. They really slopped it on with a brush at the factory and it is clearly visible but it's really hard NOT to be really neat when your replacing the WS now. Most don't like the sloppy look! Especially after you spend so much time removing the old adhesive and prepping for the new.
Have fun!
Tooch
I used masking tape on the edge that shows so I wouldn't slop the adhesive all over.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:24 AM
5.elements
Intermediate

Question: trying to see if I should cleanup the a pillar retainers and/or replace them or just leave them as is. The little black clip is discolored by rust. (I still haven't ordered anything or started removing anything since the car is in storage while we redo our flooring in the house. Needed room in the garage for furniture)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:58 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 5.,
There are just a couple of manufacturers of weatherstrip for 68-82 cars.
Many folks write that they have had success with the weatherstrip made by Corvette Rubber Company (CRC).
You might want to shop around to determine who is selling what and also to compare prices.
I believe Willcox sells the CRC weatherstrip and often has it on sale.

Test fit very carefully BEFORE you apply the adhesive so you end up with the strip exactly where it needs to be.
Don't stretch it while installing it.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
I agree 100% on test fit; almost as important as the quality of the weatherstrip itself. I know that when and if I replace the w/s on my TTops (again), I will absolutely glue down the front top corner first, where the front edge and top edge of the window meet. And I will let it set up for days to make sure it stays put before going the rest of the way around the top. For me that will be key for that w/s. Don't ask me how I know..... Good luck with your project!

Get notified of new replies

To Starting down the road with weatherstripping

Quick Reply: Starting down the road with weatherstripping