C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Direct Fit Digital Cluster, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New Direct Fit Digital Cluster, Opinions?

Hey all. Hope everyone has been enjoying some great cruise weather. Been going through some ideas to solve a few inaccurate gauges/senders and I've come across this all-in-one digital replacement set and to be honest, it seems WAAAY to cheap for all the features and hardware that are included. I believe it's by a company called Intellitronix, but not sure.

Has anyone here used it? It logs 1/4 mile times?! Seems to good to be true. Not needing a strip to tune times?

Here is a link to it on corvettemods. But it seems to be sold from jegs too.

https://www.corvettemods.com/C3-C4-C...s_p_10942.html

-Stroke

EDIT. This is a q&a on the item on cm

Q: does this include drivers side gauges speedometer and tach and does it include center console gauges oil pressure fuel water temp volts and clock ?
Asked by: cameron - 6/12/2017
A: This upgrade kit does not include any gauges, it upgrades your current gauges (dash & center console) to colored LED read-outs.
Answer provided by: Alex (6/12/2017)

Last edited by Strokemyaxe; 12-01-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

No experience with the product but before ordering check out corvette mods in the transaction forum:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...odgenauto.html

Last edited by BKarol; 12-01-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Don't know how accurate a digital gauge will be when each increment is 100 rpm. Nothing wrong with the concept; it will look a little like "KIT", the 'magic' Trans Am....
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 763 Posts

I thought about getting these (or equivalent) back in the 80s. Thought they were pretty cool. Kinda glad I didn't now - but, if you do, keep your old gauges - you may want to put them back in 30(or less), or so, years.

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
Hey all. Hope everyone has been enjoying some great cruise weather. Been going through some ideas to solve a few inaccurate gauges/senders and I've come across this all-in-one digital replacement set and to be honest, it seems WAAAY to cheap for all the features and hardware that are included. I believe it's by a company called Intellitronix, but not sure.

Has anyone here used it? It logs 1/4 mile times?! Seems to good to be true. Not needing a strip to tune times?

Here is a link to it on corvettemods. But it seems to be sold from jegs too.

https://www.corvettemods.com/C3-C4-C...s_p_10942.html

-Stroke

EDIT. This is a q&a on the item on cm

Q: does this include drivers side gauges speedometer and tach and does it include center console gauges oil pressure fuel water temp volts and clock ?
Asked by: cameron - 6/12/2017
A: This upgrade kit does not include any gauges, it upgrades your current gauges (dash & center console) to colored LED read-outs.
Answer provided by: Alex (6/12/2017)

Last edited by carriljc; 12-01-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:45 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Some outfit sells a nice kit on ebay i have seen too much negitive feedback on here to buy from corvette mods,

I love digital gauges, im cheesy that way,
I like for them to have oil temp where the useless clock would be and the fuel reads in percent, which some people hate
Like 80 means 80% full...
Old 12-02-2017, 03:06 PM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

I put a set in my 1978 years ago. Got the red gauges because that's all they offered at the time.
Intellitronix was bought by another company, and lost any warranty I had.

I haven't had any issues with my gauges, but wiring everything up with disconnects in order to remove the dash was the fun part. I had to come up with a way to have a small push button on the lens in order to change displays, and made sure all connections were soldered and heat shrunk, not just crimped.
You lose the clock feature, but if you have one on the radio then it's no big deal.
After install, you measure off 1 mile and put the gauges into learning mode to set it. It doesn't matter what size tire you have.

I personally like them very much, but the white or blue lights may be a better choice.

I would purchase them through E-Bay vender Templartech.

I also went through the salvage yard several times to find enoughlightbulb sockets to fit into the original holes for the turn signals,brake light and high beam.
The new gauges have little lights on the boards.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Don't let the implied accuracy (the reading) of digital gauges make you believe it is precise!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 PM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Once I calibrated my speedo by measuring out the mile, it has been extremely accurate per the checking speed signs on the roads around construction, and schools, etc.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Great feedback everyone. Thank you for all the replies. I think after hearing everyone’s opinion I’m just gonna hold off. I’ll just deal with the problems the old fashioned way by fixing them instead of replacing them.

Also, decide to remove quartz clock (doesn’t work anyway) and install an analog/digital Air Fuel Ratio gauge in its place. Will see how difficult that is to get fitted correctly.

-Stroke
Old 12-04-2017, 02:12 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

In this day and age of LCD and IPS displays those just look too plain Jane. A company could make some money if they made modern digital displays that the user could customize using skins like smart watches do.
I'll stick with my old school gauges and MY USELESS WORKING CLOCK!
The following users liked this post:
f1haus (07-08-2020)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

righthanddrive: Provided you did that calibration mile accurately I have no doubt that the speedo is accurate. Using GPS as a reference my original '79 speedo is also quite accurate.

My comment about accuracy had more to do with the gauges whose accuracy will be no better than allowed by the sending units AND the match of such with gauges themselves.

To the OP:

IMHO you made a good decision to keep the original analog gauges. Digital readout gauges were de riguer in the 1980s but the fad quickly waned and those in particular look cheap. It's the cheapest new cars that now have digital readouts.

Modern analog gauges are though usually not truly analog. The indicator needles are driven by stepper motors "commanded" to a specific position by computer modules that monitor the sending units.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:56 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

These are the latest incarnation of the Nardskog (sp?) gauges. I installed these in my C3 as none of the gauges were functional. They work but are not really appealing to look at. My recommendation would be to look at the newer digital analog systems from Dakota Digital.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd879.htm
Old 12-05-2017, 04:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Andies,
The all caps wasnt subtle,
This happens to me sometimes i say i dont like something and someone gets upset, not my intention,
Just because i find a clock in a c3 dash useless i do not mean it as an insult to you if you dig the clock,

My 69 has no clock,

I like that weird gauge,

I love old school custom stuff,
I like digital gauges for many of the reasons guys dont like them,

I wouldn't like some resto modern version of digital gauges, its the vintage modern look i like,

I like red as they are easy on my eyes,

I have generic in the boxes ice blue digital gauges, never installed them in anything for fear the color would get to me,

I have zero clue what the stock gauges and senders percent of error or being off is but it wont be off more due to it being a digital gauge,
I might hit Dakota digital and ask how off they are,

Down the road after my cars running again my plan in a whole second center gauge console so i can swap things to what l like the best not what im told i should or should not run...
Old 12-05-2017, 04:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd take a look at the Dakota Digital gauges. They are a lot more money, but you get an actual mechanical sweep gauge instead of the digital gauge. The new HDX line lets you select all kinds of the lighting and center display options too.

Dakota doesn't use the stock sensors but rather their own sensor so the gauges will be more than accurate enough for almost everyone. You'd have to be damn picky to think it wasn't reading close enough to the true temperature. They provide a 3-wire sensor for the oil pressure and a 2-wire sensor for temperature, which means they eliminate the block as the sensor return.

The only gauge that relies on the stock sending unit is the fuel gauge. Even then, you can set a 4-point curve for the sensor resistances at 0%, 33%, 66% and 100% full which means you can make the gauge fairly accurate.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-05-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Bats - I know brother.

Just emphasizing that I like my clock and it works.

Unless I'm boosted or need another engine monitoring gauge I think oil pressure, water temp and amps is all I need to tell me what my engine is doing.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:52 PM
indy99
Melting Slicks

Location: the land of a never ending frame-off resto-mod. May Visa have mercy on my soul.
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a set of these gauges from Templartech on Ebay. Fast shipping, packaged well. Good instructions. Lifetime Waranty.

The plan is to install them in the spring of 2018. Looking forward to a new look in my 80' since I am doing a frame-off resto-mod. Based on all the connections, I purchased several types of multi connectors so if the next owner wants to go back they can with very few issues.

To me it is an step up to modernize the car and provide a "different" type of appearance to it. Some additional gauges that I am installing (all digital) are AFR, clock and a vacuum gauge. One other upgrade is methanol injection.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:50 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by silver74vette
These are the latest incarnation of the Nardskog (sp?) gauges. I installed these in my C3 as none of the gauges were functional. They work but are not really appealing to look at. My recommendation would be to look at the newer digital analog systems from Dakota Digital.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd879.htm
Those are nice but expensive. I'd like to see more options to change the look like on some modern cars these days.

Get notified of new replies

To New Direct Fit Digital Cluster, Opinions?

Old 12-06-2017, 02:04 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I'll just throw in here that I've got a set of Dakota Digital gauges in my C2 and they have been excellent. Accuracy of speedo and tach have been very good.

For example....when I ran the TX mile the display logged 201 when the traps showed 200. Since the trap speed is an average of speed through it...I'd say that's close enough!

JIM
Attached Images    
Old 12-06-2017, 07:37 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I'll just throw in here that I've got a set of Dakota Digital gauges in my C2 and they have been excellent. Accuracy of speedo and tach have been very good.

For example....when I ran the TX mile the display logged 201 when the traps showed 200. Since the trap speed is an average of speed through it...I'd say that's close enough!

JIM
My hat is off to you sir, one heck of a mile. I have a set of Dakota Digital gauges on the workbench waiting to go into my street rod. Guess I need to get off my rear end....
Old 12-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

JIM
OH MY! 200mph!? You sir, are a mad man!

What are your rear end gears and tranny?

Last edited by Strokemyaxe; 12-06-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: New Direct Fit Digital Cluster, Opinions?