C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert to MANUAL Brakes from Power.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:28 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Default Convert to MANUAL Brakes from Power.

I want to convert to a non power brake system. So delete my Power booster and mount directly to the firewall a Manual master cylinder .

Has anyone done this and what parts are needed and or is there a kit available.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:19 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

I think the brake pedal rod going to the power booster is a different length than the manual brake one but it sounds like your done.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:40 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,398 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

There is a lot more to it than that. Search the threads, there are multiple threads that show, including information from Willcox. The bolt pattern is not the same, the hole will have to be covered, the brake switch has a different bracket. I want to do the same, but have not made it a priority yet. Have to gather the parts as well.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,243 Likes on 3,897 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Depends on your year. What year car do you have. A 68 uses the same components, just a different master. I just did the conversion the opposite of what you did. On 69 and later there is a little arm/ bracket that activates the brake lights on the foot pedal arm that is different. the booster rod just goes in a different hole.

Post in the WTB ot WTT section of the want ad section, maybe someone converted to power and can swap out parts or something. BTW I love my power brakes and don't know why you want to get rid of them. Good luck, hope it all works out
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

To do this right you will need to change out the mounting. In the picture below you can see the difference between the two pedal assemblies. It locates the MC correctly. As said above the brake light switch is different. Most people convert manual to power so these pedal assemblies should be plentiful. Manual is on right PB is on the left.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Gordonm; 12-03-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

why?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Default Manual

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
why?
The reason I want to switch to manual is same reason I switched the power steering to manual.

If you want to experience the feel of driving a sports car, you certainly want road feel in the steering. I had completely rebuilt power steering system, and the thing was all over the place with play and slop. I switched to manual, and now it is tight as can be, good road feedback, and a MAJOR difference in how fun it is to drive. It really has made the car a blast to drive in the twisties. In parking lot, it takes a little effort...so what. Boo-hoo.

As for brakes, I have all new power booster, master cylinder, etc, and the car brakes well, but that mushy, vacuum lack of feel pedal is annoying to me. I would prefer a more direct feel for the brakes. And if the only penalty for manual brakes is I have to push it harder, but it has a great direct feel, I want it. Most people say the cars brake equally well, manual or power.

Manual steering and brakes do take more physical effort, but I hardly find it "too much" for this 59 year old man. I guess it really depends on what kind of driving you want out of your Corvette sports car.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 12-03-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Default Mistake

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Have you removed or blocked the vacuum line to the booster for a test-run yet?
Power brakes disconnected is NOT the same as manual brakes. The master cylinders are different in bore. Not the same.

Yes, manual brakes take more physical effort on the pedal to apply same braking action as power brakes.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 12-03-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:51 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 848 Likes on 622 Posts

I went to both manual brakes and steering and you couldn’t pay me to go back. You will like it and saves some weight!
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I want to convert for the room on that side of the motor and simplicity and because my cam makes low vac. Car is a 1980 .. I have not done anything yet . I was thinking all i would need was a M/S and a rod and possibly make a plate to cover mounting surface and provide the right bolt pattern
Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

I bought my C3 looking for manual steering and brakes just for the reasons iwasmenowhesgone mentioned.
I was thinking about this thread on the way to work tonight (my Vette is my daily driver) and thought how much feel I have in my brake pedal and how well it stops. When I jump in my son's car or my wife's Explorer I always think the brakes are mushy.
Yes, it takes a man to drive my car but guess what, I'm a man. My wife hates driving my Vette because it has ARMSTRONG power steering and it is hard in the parking lots but straight as a arrow on the road. She's never complained about the brakes.
Torqued Off (12-03-2017)
Old 06-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm looking on buying the Wilwood master cylinder for my 71 and also was wondering if removing the booster might be a good choice. But is there much to do or just easy bolt on?
As I read here there is some work but nothing too huge I believe.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm 72 and love my no power steering and no power brakes,maybe in 20 years I'll feel differently about it but for now I'm good .
Torqued Off (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I hate to burst your 'bubble', but the Corvette is NOT a sports car. It is an American 'sporty' car. For a sports car, it is overweight, too nose heavy, big hi-torque engine, and not particularly nimble (unless you throw plenty of $$$ at the suspension).

It may be able to make decent lap times (because of engine power), but that doesn't make it a sports car.

P.S. I still love the early Corvettes (C1/C2/C3), but I don't live in fantasy land.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I hate to burst your 'bubble', but the Corvette is NOT a sports car. It is an American 'sporty' car. For a sports car, it is overweight, too nose heavy, big hi-torque engine, and not particularly nimble (unless you throw plenty of $$$ at the suspension).

It may be able to make decent lap times (because of engine power), but that doesn't make it a sports car.

P.S. I still love the early Corvettes (C1/C2/C3), but I don't live in fantasy land.
Rather than just your opinion, I copied below Websters Definition of sports car

: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving"

I would say my 77 Corvette meets this definition. Whatever its called, I like driving it......and I will call it a sports car.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 06-19-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Bought 75 at an auction. Halfway home I pulled over to check brake fluid cuz brakes felt like doo doo. Opened joes, saw missing power booster, said oh well...
Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

i think he knows that, your been alittle bit pedantic

Get notified of new replies

To Convert to MANUAL Brakes from Power.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

you work for the New York Times,don't you.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd
I want to convert to a non power brake system. So delete my Power booster and mount directly to the firewall a Manual master cylinder .

Has anyone done this and what parts are needed and or is there a kit available.
I did it years ago, no kit to my knowledge. Made a plate out of billet aluminum, mounted the MC, fabbed a longer pushrod, relocated the brake light switch on the existing pedal assembly,.....not a huge deal.

My cam makes between 6-8 inches at idle,....so with power brakes, they worked great....sometimes,......sometimes not so much. Problem was you never knew when they would be great. With manual, the feel is solid every time. Added plus,....more room under the hood to change plugs.
Primoz (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

I have power steering, but manual brakes. the best of both worlds.

don't need toe tapping braking ease, and my leg muscle is the strongest muscle in my body, so I don't need PB. plus I can easily tell if any air is in my system.

power steering is a big plus for me.. since the car is not a little zippy sports car. I have had both in a C3.

non power steering is ok going down the road. but parking, in and out of the garage/driveway puts meat on your shoulders.

power steering in a c3 is not the one finger steering that today's cars are.. it is 'power assist' and still requires some umph...

try driving a 67 bel-air with no PS for 3 years like I did back in my hippie days.. I could not even sell that car. too many wienies wanted PS.

but it gave me a lifetime of strong broad shoulders.
now that I am old, PS is the way to go.

anyway.. there are pluses and minuses to both..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convert to MANUAL Brakes from Power.