C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder Bleeding: Front Reservoir sprays brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 11:56 PM
SFleming
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Cylinder Bleeding: Front Reservoir sprays brake fluid

I recently installed all 4 brake calipers and a new master cylinder on the 77" vette. The rear brake bleed went perfectly fine. I move to the front brakes no brake fluid makes it to the caliper. It just sprays fluid two feet into the air. I haven't changed any of the brake lines. Could the lines be stop up and if so would it be ok to clear the lines with the air compressor. Any other ideas are appreciated.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:25 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

The front flexible brake hoses are probably collapsed internally and your master may have a internal seal problem

Last edited by speedreed8; 12-03-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 AM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SFleming
I recently installed all 4 brake calipers and a new master cylinder on the 77" Corvette. The rear brake bleed went perfectly fine. I move to the front brakes no brake fluid makes it to the caliper. It just sprays fluid two feet into the air. I haven't changed any of the brake lines. Could the lines be stop up and if so would it be okay to clear the lines with the air compressor. Any other ideas are appreciated.

How are you bleeding your brakes? Gravity bleeding or pressure bleeding? If your front bleeders don't have the little dust caps on them their holes are almost certainly plugged up and need to be cleaned out before they will allow brake fluid to pass through them. Try removing them and see if brake fluid comes out.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,257 Likes on 3,904 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

new calipers, so the bleeders are most likely fine, any dust would be cleaned out with the brake pressure, my vote is bad rubber lines like SpeedReed says. I would take one off and see if you can get a flexible rod through them. If they look old and cracked just replace them, front brakes are 90% of your stopping force. you say fluid is squirting in the air,
first is it hitting any paint? It will peel paint like paint remover (the old stuff would anyway), clean it up right away.

second, are you leaving the lid off when you are bleeding by stepping on the pedal? you should put the cover on to keep from spraying it and/or contaminating your system

Good luck , let us know how it goes
Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Turn on the Ign switch. Is the brake light on? Possibility that the proportioning valve is now "tripped" and blocking the front brake pressure / lines.

And I assume the new MC was bench bled correctly?

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 12-03-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:24 PM
SFleming
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The flex hoses were collapsed, now I have new problem unfortunately. Thanks for information.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:52 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 362 Posts

Get the steel braided hoses. Well worth the extra expense.

Originally Posted by SFleming
The flex hoses were collapsed, now I have new problem unfortunately. Thanks for information.

Get notified of new replies

To Master Cylinder Bleeding: Front Reservoir sprays brake fluid

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder Bleeding: Front Reservoir sprays brake fluid