C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fed up driving automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:17 AM
Fredric Björnefält
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fed up driving automatic

Hi guys,

Well, I’ll keep it short. I’m longing for to convert my automatic bb to manual. It’s even so bad I actually swap in an Muncie, rather than being stuck with my boring th400..
Yes I’ve looked in to tko transmission but when that piece is finally shipped over the puddle to Europe it easily adds 50-70% in tax costs and shipment.. A Muncie over here is both easy to find and cheep.

Well, here is were you, members, come in to play.
I need to know every part needed for this (Muncie) swap since I don’t have a clue besides that I need is pedal assembly, clutch, clutch fork,yoke,Crossmember,pressure plate ,shifter, bellhousing and z-bar.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi FB,
The list will be long....
I'll start:
4-speed transmission crossmember
4-speed rear mounting bracket
4-speed rear transmission mount
4-speed exhaust bracket
4-speed shifter bracket
mounting hardware for these pieces

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-04-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

An automatic trans can be made a lot more fun if you have a higher stall torque converter and a shift kit with an adjustable modulator on it.

I'll admit a manual trans is much better at putting the power to the ground, but it is a lot of work converting over. Not something to me that is worth the trouble.

My TH350 was a slug stock. Now I have a B&M trans with shift kit good for 500 HP. It has an adjustable modulator for the part throttle shifts and I have the full throttle shifts set at 5600 RPM. Also paired a 3000 RPM stall torque converter with it. Lots of fun full throttle.
If I want to shift higher than 5600 RPM I just manually shift through the gears.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I agree: 3,000 B&M, shift kit, cooler is a lot easy on the drivetrain too.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:57 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

You can reuse the automatic crossmember. Just need to use the manual bracket and add two tabs for it to the crossmember.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I agree: 3,000 B&M, shift kit, cooler is a lot easy on the drivetrain too.
Yes, forgot I also added a trans cooler for the high stall torque converter.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:49 AM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Automatic crossmember will work - just modify like I did. And if you go Hurst shifter you won't need the shifter mount bracket.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:38 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree, 4sp is better!

Originally Posted by Fredric Björnefält
Hi guys,

Well, I’ll keep it short. I’m longing for to convert my automatic bb to manual. It’s even so bad I actually swap in an Muncie, rather than being stuck with my boring th400..
Yes I’ve looked in to tko transmission but when that piece is finally shipped over the puddle to Europe it easily adds 50-70% in tax costs and shipment.. A Muncie over here is both easy to find and cheep.

Well, here is were you, members, come in to play.
I need to know every part needed for this (Muncie) swap since I don’t have a clue besides that I need is pedal assembly, clutch, clutch fork,yoke,Crossmember,pressure plate ,shifter, bellhousing and z-bar.
Agree, 4sp is better, when I was in UK, my Brit friends informed me that auto transmissions there were viewed as intended for drivers with disabilities But, after having driven in stop and go, stop and go and stop and go traffic in the summer for 2 hours with my 4sp, I began to think my left leg would be lame and I would have a disability soon, ha!

If it were me, I would sell the auto and buy a 4sp. Another excuse to buy and sell another Corvette and likely cheaper and certainly less hassle.

Oh, and mentioned likely above, you need a place on the frame for the other end of the z bar to go. This piece alone would likely make the decision easier for me.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:14 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Speaking of the z bar, make sure the block has the boss there for the stud to bolt into for it.

Swapped motors in a friends car years ago only to find out the hard way not all blocks have this.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I have nothing against swapping a manual trans for an auto tranny.

But, "boring?" I'm guessing that you have never put your THM-400 in low range, stabbed it, and just left it there till it shifted on its own.

WHATTTT??? Yep. It will. And it will give you a kick in the pants that only a top pro drag racer could do with a manual trans.

But, I agree that shifting manually is more "fun". However, at my age, it's also "more work". My manual shift days are long gone; but I hope you enjoy the swap for many years to come.
The following users liked this post:
Aerovette (12-28-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:32 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Nothing beats a manual, I'd say go for it, i reinstalled my m21 when I changed to a 396 stroker, couldn't be happier
Old 12-06-2017, 04:40 AM
2airtime2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm awesome at shifting all kinds of manuals. I learned to drive on a 3 on the tree. I've owned manual 3 speeds, 4 speeds, and 5 speeds. I've also owned 2, 3, 4, and 6 speed autos. I'm awesome at driving those too.

I've got no problem with people driving whatever kind of transmission they want. What I do have a problem with is uppity manual owners/drivers thinking they are better for some reason. I'm not accusing anyone here, I'm just making a comment about the mentality I noticed before on the subject.

If any uppity, manual preferrers are reading this, guess what? I'm also an excellent hammerer of nails but I use a powered nailer whenever I can. I'm awesome and skillful at using hand tools like screwdrivers but I routinely use powered drill/drivers. I don't care if you use a ratchet wrench or air powered tools, why do you care if I prefer an automatic?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Do it. I did this swap and it was best thing I did. Makes it feel like different car. You can use your cross member. You will need access to a welder. The z-bar mount needs to be welded to the frame. The trans mount needs to be welded to the crossmember. You will need the correct size yoke. If you can find someone selling the parts from a manual vette that is your best bet. I went through corvette America's catalog and looked at there parts diagrams to see what I needed and ordered from there.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:20 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Originally Posted by 2airtime2
I'm awesome at shifting all kinds of manuals. I learned to drive on a 3 on the tree. I've owned manual 3 speeds, 4 speeds, and 5 speeds. I've also owned 2, 3, 4, and 6 speed autos. I'm awesome at driving those too.

I've got no problem with people driving whatever kind of transmission they want. What I do have a problem with is uppity manual owners/drivers thinking they are better for some reason. I'm not accusing anyone here, I'm just making a comment about the mentality I noticed before on the subject.

If any uppity, manual preferrers are reading this, guess what? I'm also an excellent hammerer of nails but I use a powered nailer whenever I can. I'm awesome and skillful at using hand tools like screwdrivers but I routinely use powered drill/drivers. I don't care if you use a ratchet wrench or air powered tools, why do you care if I prefer an automatic?
Modest too!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Fredric Björnefält
Instructor

Tanks for all of your inputs guys. Really can’t get over the feeling that something is missing when I drive my auto. Half the joy of driving is manual shifting. Feels more alive that way... I’ll guess I need to do some parts hunting from now on. Do I need to take the engine out if I’m going manual ?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:54 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredric Björnefält
Tanks for all of your inputs guys. Really can’t get over the feeling that something is missing when I drive my auto. Half the joy of driving is manual shifting. Feels more alive that way... I’ll guess I need to do some parts hunting from now on. Do I need to take the engine out if I’m going manual ?
I did this swap a few years back, even rebuilt the manual trans on my own as part of the project. It seems a little overwhelming at first but it really isn't that bad. The worst part is getting the pedal box installed. In addition to the parts everyone else mentioned, don't forget about a neutral/clutch safety switch. If you don't get it on during the instal, you will quickly need to convince yourself that you don't really need it. Ask me how I know. Also, you can get a bolt on Z Bar frame mount if you don't want to weld. I even bolted on the shifter mount tabs. To answer your other question though, no, you do not need to remove the engine in order to do this swap. Good luck and check in with progress or questions.

Bryan
Old 12-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I've got no problem with people driving whatever kind of transmission they want. What I do have a problem with is uppity manual owners/drivers thinking they are better for some reason... why do you care if I prefer an automatic?
Is it that they care that you prefer to drive an automatic or is that they (like me) think "Your car would appeal more to me if it had a manual transmission."? For me its not a matter of what the owner prefers, its that when I see I nice car I think about owning it and how I would want it to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Fed up driving automatic

Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I just got my knees replaced. and the left is a lot sorer than the right one. this thread just made me think about that damn clutch pedal. thanks guys!! but in reality, if you are trying to get a couple of hundredths off your ET, an automatic is quicker. but for the most part these are fun beautiful drivers. and banging second and third is a LOT of the fun...

Last edited by derekderek; 12-08-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow! You must be awesome.
The following users liked this post:
80-Vette (12-30-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Fredric Björnefält
Instructor

If any of you guys got some parts you want get rid of I’ll be more than happy to buy it from you if the price is ok and you’ll be able to ship it across the puddle to Sweden!

Quick Reply: Fed up driving automatic