C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low budget 5 Speed upgrade?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a great thread. I too am watching for a way to improve the durability of WCT5.
I'm sure there has to be some upgraded parts that can be used in rebuild?
I saw some for sale that are supposed to be higher rated for power?
I would prefer to do this right the first time.

R
Old 12-10-2017, 11:54 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
UTSo you made an offset mounting pad for the shifter stick so that it moved it to the left a bit? And that is a side view of the shifter not a straight from the back or the front? I knew I needed to buy another welder. Man it sucks to have to buy tools.
Yes, that is a side view looking at it from the passenger seat.

Below is another pic of another rear mount, this isnt mine, just posting it for reference if it helps.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

UTSo you made an offset mounting pad for the shifter stick so that it moved it to the left a bit? And that is a side view of the shifter not a straight from the back or the front?
Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets

There are several older threads on these topics with pics and measurements so make sure to search.
Pics stolen from prior threads on the topic (none are mine)

Old 12-10-2017, 12:14 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

The top 3 pics in the above post were from my 68 T5 shifter. It was the 1st one I made .....and yes it was overkill to say the least.

You could probably pull an engine out of a car with it. My 2nd shifter was on a diet.

Both work well though.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Hi Guys!

I definitely want a 5 speed as well but there is no way I am going to pay the $4-5K for the what the conversion kit vendors want.

I have been eyeing the GM WCT5 boxes for a while but need to know more about the exact year and model tranny from which GM cars and trucks will work and the different ratios that would be best? Maybe not specific part numbers but the car models to shoot for? I have a 4 speed with 3.70 gears presently...OEM.

Seems that the WCT5's came from the V6 F body cars? Should I buy a remanufactured one or a used one and then have it rebuilt by my expert builder near me...he could beef it up substantially, if necessary. My 355 L-82 with AFR heads and roller cam makes 425+ Gross HP but I am still using the OEM Doug Nash Super T-10.

Sounds like pulling the motor again for the install is best? I do have a 26 spline RAM HDX clutch with the rebuilt/upgraded motor now. I do not abuse the drivetrain now and roll into the throttle always...no clutch drops ever!

Besides the shortened driveshaft, what is involved with using the OEM shifter?, cutting of the tunnel (hopefully not)?, and hooking up the shifter rods with the GM WCT5.

Sorry lots of questions here, but the WCT5 conversion seems the best way to go for most of us since the conversion kits are way out of line. I can probably source a used GM WCT5 from another friend in the salvage car business for <$200. If my other friend rebuilt the used boxes and beefed it up, I would have a stronger than new WCT5 for <$1K. Estimates for the total conversion with me doing all the work?

Thanks for your input.
The same for me, I don't drive my cars hard, I drive with my kids or wife. So I don't want tp spend $5k for at 5 speed kit. Also because I think a T5WC is strong enough for me, the way I drive my cars.

You have a 3.70 rear, that is nice, I like it :- )
I would find a 0.63 in 5th, if I was you, you will also go from 2.20 or 2.52 in 1th to 2.95
As I told above, then I also added a SFI 23lbs flywheel.

Maybe it would be easy for you, without taking the engine out. But for me, with a welded crossmember, then I would take out the engine, maybe it is just me :- )

It is a nice small project, for small money, with great value.
But take the time, to find the right transmission for you. I looked for 1 year
Old 12-10-2017, 02:17 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

BTW regarding cost:
Transmission my was $650
Bracket, you make can it yourself.
26 spline clutch plate $100 (the rest of my clutch was almost brand new)
Cable adaptor $60
Shorten up driveshaft, I know one that did it for free.
Oil change $30

The 176 transmission was a bit had to get, my had very low miles on it, so the price was (2-3 years ago) $650
Old 12-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW!

Great info! Thanks all for the replies!

I have a 454 BBC with centerforce...not sure on spline, but it is a stock muncie 20.

I am gonna start my researching...and reviewing of the great info from you all!

Thanks!

Ron
Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I did a little digging and found this thread on 3rd Gen.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...-t5-t-5-a.html

The consensus seems to be for a slightly built and not abused, a rebuilt T-5 will work quite well. After that things get iffy. There is a lot of aftermarket support. Some guys think build it stronger after each blow up.
Others just replace 1 $300 trans w/another $300 trans.
A lot of good info.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:28 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Another place to look for these Transmissions is car-part.com
Well my salvage buddy says his source would be a dead end since they do not inventory parts that go back to the 80's.early 90's. He suggested car-part.com and I did look but most of the WCt5's were for V6's and VERY few V8's. The V8 .63 OD units seem very scarce...This is going to take some work..
Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c3_dk
The same for me, I don't drive my cars hard, I drive with my kids or wife. So I don't want tp spend $5k for at 5 speed kit. Also because I think a T5WC is strong enough for me, the way I drive my cars.

You have a 3.70 rear, that is nice, I like it :- )
I would find a 0.63 in 5th, if I was you, you will also go from 2.20 or 2.52 in 1th to 2.95
As I told above, then I also added a SFI 23lbs flywheel.

Maybe it would be easy for you, without taking the engine out. But for me, with a welded crossmember, then I would take out the engine, maybe it is just me :- )

It is a nice small project, for small money, with great value.
But take the time, to find the right transmission for you. I looked for 1 year
I have a feeling after looking today that an F body WCT5U .63 OD V8 unit is going to take some looking and I doubt $650 today is going to be the price today. I did find a no core rebuilt WCT5 V8 on ebay with a warranty BUT it was .73OD...no good for me. I have to have the .63OD.....
Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

I have a feeling after looking today that an F body WCT5U .63 OD V8 unit is going to take some looking and I doubt $650 today is going to be the price today. I did find a no core rebuilt WCT5 V8 on ebay with a warranty BUT it was .73OD...no good for me. I have to have the .63OD.....

Rebuilt Fox Mustang units are $650 all day. The guts are the same as the Camaro unit so worse case you pick up a core for $50 and have a Mustang shop rebuild it.

Have you tried the Facebook marketplace or any of the Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade pages? Those pages seem to have eclipsed CL for many items.

also try www.Racingjunk.com ?
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts...369751320.html

R

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 12-10-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:01 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Rebuilt Fox Mustang units are $650 all day. The guts are the same as the Camaro unit so worse case you pick up a core for $50 and have a Mustang shop rebuild it.

Have you tried the Facebook marketplace or any of the Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade pages? Those pages seem to have eclipsed CL for many items.

also try www.Racingjunk.com ?
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts...369751320.html

R
Thank for the facebook tip..I never go on facebook but will. Doesn't the Mustang T-5 require a different bell housing and clutch? I will research but I thought the mustang T5's required a bit more work?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Doesn't the Mustang T-5 require a different bell housing and clutch? I will research but I thought the mustang T5's required a bit more work?
The Mustang case is entirely different. The Mustang guts are the same as the GM guts (except for input spline and length, but if rebuilding just have changed to whatever you want). I meant pick up a GM core for $50 and have a Mustang shop rebuild it.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 12-10-2017 at 07:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jb78L-82 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Thank for the facebook tip..I never go on facebook but will. Doesn't the Mustang T-5 require a different bell housing and clutch? I will research but I thought the mustang T5's required a bit more work?
If you buy a T5WC from a Ford, then you will need an adaptor plate, no big deal, you can make it yourself.

I would also for a 0.63 when you have 3.70 rear.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nsmission.html
Old 12-12-2017, 02:58 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Good thread but you guys are missing out on a lot of pre-existing info right here on the forum.

Use the Advanced Search function button and type in WC T5 transmission.

MANY guys did this conversion about 5-8 yrs ago before the T56s became popular and the drop-in kit guys like Powertrain, Shaffir(?), etc started making full conversion.
Old time Norvahl was one of the first and ran a huge HP motor in front of a T5.

I bought a T5 on ebay real inexpensive. Got the highest rated GM version model. The Ford T5's are easier to find.
Make sure you go WC = World Class.
I sold mine before even using it as I ended up going to a T56 which is stronger and better suited for my application.

As far as bellhousings and scattershields...there are several ways to go. Make an adapter (the input shaft length is different depending upon which model and what you are bolting it up to) or go with the offset Lakewood version that uses the outer mounted hydraulic slave cylinder setup.
There are LOTS of variations on this project so check out that search function.

The more you search for parts and the more you can fabricate yourself....this can be very inexpensive.

Good luck with your projects.

There was a guy from NYC... Paul who specializes in T5s but not sure if he is still around. I lost track of him.

Bman
Old 12-12-2017, 06:50 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmans vette

Use the Advanced Search function button and type in WC T5 transmission.
Haha. It is my experience very few people actual use the search here, or even a Google search. That is why every month there is the same question about Holleys and every spring there are the same questions about getting AC to work. But I guess without people asking the same repeated questions all the time there would be no forum community then.

(the input shaft length is different depending upon which model and what you are bolting it up to)
For the GM T5, only the 4 and V6-60 have longer input shafts. The V8 and V6-90 have correct input shaft lengths to work with our current bellhousings. That is why above I said to look for a 'U' code.

The spacer plates for the 4 and V6-60 units are commercially available now as it is common to use those (S10 and base Camaro) in 30-40's hotrods and 20-30's streetrods See sites like HAMB. My thought is if going with a 4 or v6-60 trans than might as well get a Mustang GT unit as the level of effort is about the same and the Mustang GT unit is a better trans than non WC units and has proper V8 1st gear ratios.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 12-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Hey Guys!

I have been reading about the conversions for years and have seen Norval's write up as well about the Ford WCT5 he did. I really appreciate the effort here to up date the info.

I think I am going to patiently look for a F body WCT5U with the higher torque rating as a first step and give that search some time to find the speedo cable version. IF I can find an acceptable unit, then I will move forward with the swap and the mods needed to make it fit.....

Get notified of new replies

To Low budget 5 Speed upgrade?

Old 12-12-2017, 02:44 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Here is a 176 transmission, the price is high....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T5-Borg-War...5Z10Xt&vxp=mtr
Old 12-12-2017, 04:47 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Haha. It is my experience very few people actual use the search here, or even a Google search. That is why every month there is the same question about Holleys and every spring there are the same questions about getting AC to work. But I guess without people asking the same repeated questions all the time there would be no forum community then.

For the GM T5, only the 4 and V6-60 have longer input shafts. The V8 and V6-90 have correct input shaft lengths to work with our current bellhousings. That is why above I said to look for a 'U' code.

The spacer plates for the 4 and V6-60 units are commercially available now as it is common to use those (S10 and base Camaro) in 30-40's hotrods and 20-30's streetrods See sites like HAMB. My thought is if going with a 4 or v6-60 trans than might as well get a Mustang GT unit as the level of effort is about the same and the Mustang GT unit is a better trans than non WC units and has proper V8 1st gear ratios.
Agree with the bold which is why I waited and found the GM V8 version. Harder to find a usually more expensive. Even had the Lakewood bellhousing that would make it almost bolt in.

The adapter plate is for the Ford version which there are many more available and therefore likely to be cheaper to find.

Look at that ebay listing for the remanufactured GM 176 unit.
That is pretty high and a 6 month warranty starts the day you buy it, not the 3 months later when it gets installed. That is why I shy away from these online warranty deals.

Glad to see the fabricating hot rod spirit still exists here......

Last edited by bmans vette; 12-12-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

A CF member has a Ford WC trans partial setup for sale.

Check it out....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596166332

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low budget 5 Speed upgrade?