C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rack and pinion switch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default rack and pinion switch question

I have non-power steering in my 68 with NOM 454 engine. I am thinking of converting from the stock manual steering to Steeroids R&P. I would like to keep the manual steering to avoid having to add the PS pump, different pulleys, mounting brackets, etc. but also do not want the car to steer any harder than it already does. Has anyone converted from manual stock steering to manual R&P? Is there any difference in the steering effort required? I'm OK with the current hard steering, since it is only a problem parallel parking, but I would prefer not to make it worse.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:03 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

I think the first thing you have to do is contact them and find out whether their rack will work without PS?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:01 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

The power racks work out to being 2.7 turns lock to lock (R-L) the stock steering is 3.7 turns......

I doubt any manual rack will have closer to stock ratio....

Old 12-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Have you considered the Flaming River manual kit? Looks like it is really close to the factory ratio.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...s0001/FR312KT#

Old 12-17-2017, 11:20 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by MelWff
I think the first thing you have to do is contact them and find out whether their rack will work without PS?
Steeroids sells both a manual R&P and a power R&P
Old 12-17-2017, 11:23 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronarndt
Has anyone converted from manual stock steering to manual R&P? Is there any difference in the steering effort required?

So..............I guess no one has installed a manual kit to advise me.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:37 AM
ariba
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not that expert but I know from a lot that
1963-1982 Corvette Borgeson Power Steering Gear Box Upgrade
is better.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

So..............I guess no one has installed a manual kit to advise me.
Steeroids Rack & Pinions are generally installed to as an upgrade to the stock C3 power steering system with its cylinder assembly, etc. Manual steering has no cylinder or power steering pump, hoses, etc. to go bad. So there is really no reason (or advantage?) for a manual rack system.
The following users liked this post:
ariba (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 04:34 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I have non-power steering in my 68 with NOM 454 engine. I am thinking of converting from the stock manual steering to Steeroids R&P. I would like to keep the manual steering to avoid having to add the PS pump, different pulleys, mounting brackets, etc. but also do not want the car to steer any harder than it already does. Has anyone converted from manual stock steering to manual R&P? Is there any difference in the steering effort required? I'm OK with the current hard steering, since it is only a problem parallel parking, but I would prefer not to make it worse.
If your having problems with a worn out steering box , then what about sending it to Gary for a nice rebuild , it will come back spot on and bolt straight in as before . Cheaper than a conversion and way less hassle .

My 69 BB 4 speed had manual steering so I know what its like (I loved it as that ) but after driving a borgeson equipped vette I'm going that way now . Not really anything to do with your question I know .

Last edited by bazza77; 12-18-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by bazza77
If your having problems with a worn out steering box , then what about sending it to Gary for a nice rebuild , it will come back spot on and bolt straight in as before . Cheaper than a conversion and way less hassle .

My 69 BB 4 speed had manual steering so I know what its like (I loved it as that ) but after driving a borgeson equipped vette I'm going that way now . Not really anything to do with your question I know .

The steering box is new. I replaced it and all of the front suspension parts about a year ago. Steering is OK, but R&P will be better. I have had manual R&P in several cars with lighter engines and the steering effort is moderate. With my heavy big block I don't want the steering effort to be more than it is now. I am hoping the manual R&P will do that, so I'm trying to find someone who has the manual conversion in their car to offer advice.
The following users liked this post:
bazza77 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Heavier steering

ronarndt, you need to find out the ratio of the R&P. If your stock manual box has 3.7 turns ltl, then any number numerically lower than this will mean even heavier steering. Your car then will be much more difficult to steer at slow speeds. I seriously suggest you consider the Borgeson upgrade, I have one in my '74 coupe, and you will have steering similar to any modern car. You will of course have to fit a pump, but if you don't want to put one on your engine, then there are cars with electric power steering pumps and these can be mounted remotely.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 01-25-2018, 05:49 PM
rickjz
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also considering the switch to rack and pinion. I have a manual steering BB that is tough to steer at low speeds with the wide tires now on it. I really liked the idea of electric assist, but agree that there is no room under the dash and little room in the engine bay. If you eliminate the stock steering box and add the rack there might be a good spot for the electric assist motor around where the old steering box was.

Get notified of new replies

To rack and pinion switch question

Quick Reply: rack and pinion switch question