C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Issues

Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Lark327
I have another thought/question. The Wilcox troubleshooting says that if the resistor is blown the gauge will read a little above 1/4 tank. It actually says it will only function up to that mark. So does that mean that if it is a blown resistor the gauge will operate between E for empty and a little above 1/4 for full? If so, that would make sense for me since the tank is about 1/2 full and the gauge reads about 1/8.
If you run the test above that I posted you can eliminate that as the issue. See, when you pull the ohms wire off the gauge, it will not peg... If it' pegs the resistor is good.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Lark327
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Just because the sender output test okay in a bench test doesn't mean its grounded properly or there isn't a wire issue...

So.. pull the ohms wire from the car and ground it with the key on, see where the dash unit goes... then let it free hang without touching anything and see where the gauge goes... if it pegs when not touching and goes to empty when grounded, the problem is in the rear of the car.

It's that simple... If you can eliminate the dash unit and all the wires from the rear of the sender forward... you're that much closer to solving the issue.

Willcox
OK. I'm pretty sure I have a blown resistor in the gauge. I grounded the ohms wire (directly to the negative battery terminal) and the gauge slowly moved to empty. I then removed the ground and let the ohms wire hang and the gauge moved slowly to just past the 1/4 mark. Wilcox diagnostic says that with a blown resistor the gauge "will function between empty and a shade above 1/4" That is exactly what mine is doing. Agree with this diagnosis? As I said in my original post one day the gauge showed a little above 1/4 when it had 3/4 tank.

Last edited by Lark327; 01-05-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Lark327
Instructor

Just because the sender output test okay in a bench test doesn't mean its grounded properly or there isn't a wire issue...

So.. pull the ohms wire from the car and ground it with the key on, see where the dash unit goes... then let it free hang without touching anything and see where the gauge goes... if it pegs when not touching and goes to empty when grounded, the problem is in the rear of the car.

It's that simple... If you can eliminate the dash unit and all the wires from the rear of the sender forward... you're that much closer to solving the issue.

Willcox
Followed the Willcox test procedure right up to pulling the gauge cluster where I found the resistor to be the problem. It has what looks like a dark spot in the center and it reads 43.4 ohms across the terminals. Should read 90 right?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Did you read this? http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...it-testing.pdf

If you tested the resistor on the gauge that's not your problem. The resistor will test around 47 ohms installed, off the gauge it should read around 90-94 ohms.

Willcox
Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Lark327
Instructor

OK Willcox, I have some more info. The tan wire on the harness at the gauge has ohms of around 40. This is the same as at the tank sender and is close to the estimated amount of gas in the tank on a scale of 0-90. I followed your diagnostics and with 12v to number 2 and ground to number 1 terminal of the gauge it goes to empty. moving the ground wire from number 1 to number 5, the gauge goes to the 3 oclock position, both as it should.

I tested the resistor on the gauge when I got a 43.4 reading across the terminals. When I removed the resistor I got a reading of 84. There is a dark, almost oily looking spot in the center of the resistor.

I should mention that I did not check the voltage at the fuse block because the way the car is parked I cant reach it. When I checked power on the pink wire at the gauge connector, I got a reading of 11.28v. A check directly across the battery terminals gave me a reading of 12.01v. The battery may be a little low because I haven't been driving it. Is this voltage drop normal? If not, would it cause the gauge to read improperly? The tank appears to be somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 full. The reading I get on the gauge now is about 1/4. In the past when the gas tank was 3/4 full I got a reading a little bit above 1/4. The gauge has always moved within that range. Once when driving, it shot up to the 3 o'clock position Does any of this make sense? I should also note that this is a 60,000 mile car and the gauges, terminals etc are pristine. Not a speck of corrosion anywhere.

Also I don't know if it matters but the way the wires on the connector line up to the gauge are opposite of what is embossed in the rear of the gauge cluster. In other words the pink wire is on where it says tan and tan is on where it says pink. Would this matter? It looks to have always been this way as the wires have taken a set and it would be difficult at best to plug it in the opposite way.

Did I tell you I HATE electrical issues. Thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Lark327
Instructor

Willcox
Closing the loop on this fuel gauge problem. When I removed the gauge, the resistor was intact but had what looked like a dark oily spot in the center and it read lower than it should have. Got a used resistor from Wilcox, installed it and the gauge works perfectly.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lark327
Closing the loop on this fuel gauge problem. When I removed the gauge, the resistor was intact but had what looked like a dark oily spot in the center and it read lower than it should have. Got a used resistor from Wilcox, installed it and the gauge works perfectly.
Awesome..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge Issues