C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Lamp, REALLY? How difficult can this be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 03:22 PM
See 3
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Head Lamp, REALLY? How difficult can this be?

My first attempt at maintenance/repair on my C3 is/was going to be to replace the passenger side low beam head lamp. Removed the four screws holding the headlight cowling (or whatever it is called) but for the life of me I can't get it out of the headlight bay, no matter how I tilt or angle it. I don't want to bend, break or scratch anything in the process, but exactly HOW is this piece supposed to come out? There just doesn't appear to be adequate clearance.

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:52 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Possibly your headlights are not opening far enough for you to remove the surrond? How far is the bottom of the other surround below the top of the body work? You may need to adjust the buckets up till you have enough clearance.
Good luck!
Stump

Last edited by stumpshot; 12-16-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 PM
See 3
Instructor

Originally Posted by stumpshot
Possibly your headlights are not opening far enough for you to remove the surrond? How far is the bottom of the other surround below the top of the body work? You may need to adjust the buckets up till you have enough clearance.
Good luck!
Stump
Both bezels are even with the body when fully opened. I wouldn't think the bottom of the bezel would be designed to be above the body/hood line when fully opened?
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:13 PM
See 3
Instructor

More photos
Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2017, 04:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi S3,
Is it possible the bezel is 'caught' on something?
Here's 2 photos of the headlights with the bezel off.
Perhaps you can spot something.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Old 12-16-2017, 05:08 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Because of the angle between top and bottom of the headlamp cowling, it should just pull straight out (in the direction of the TOP of that cowling) to be removed. Otherwise, your headlamp system is not raising as far as it should. There is an adjustment for that, too.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-16-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:12 PM
See 3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi S3,
Is it possible the bezel is 'caught' on something?
Here's 2 photos of the headlights with the bezel off.
Perhaps you can spot something.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Thank you Alan, I can't figure this one out. I was beginning to believe the headlight housings were indeed not adjusted properly but when they are closed the alignment is perfect, so if I raise them to allow the bezel to be removed easily the headlight doors would protrude above the hood line.

Anyway, I did manage to remove the chrome trim ring around the loosened but in-the-way bezel, tested the head lamp bulb ok, so I reinstalled it and it now works, so it appears to have been a connection issue. This was very much like building a ship in a bottle.

I did also discover, in removing the chrome trim ring that PO had evidently stripped out the threads on the mounting cup (or whatever it is) that the lamp mounts into. He had a retaining nut on back of the top screw which holds the chrome ring.

This is humanly impossible to replace working around the freakin' bezel, so I only have two of the three retaining screws in place. I guess my next project will be to figure out how to temporarily adjust the headlight doors so I can at least remove the bezel long enough to replace the headlight mounting assembly with the stripped out hole.

At least my head lights are working, for the time being.....

In looking at the headlight doors again for photos closed I suppose I could raise the passenger side 1/16 of an inch all around, I will have to see if that solves the problem. Thanx for the input....
Attached Images   

Last edited by See 3; 12-16-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Although your lights appear to be pretty close to correct in the up position, there is a up-stop on the side of each headlight. It is possible that it's set slightly too low. You may be able to adjust them to allow the light to rise enough to remove the bezel

Sometimes the rubber pad is missing. If that stop isn't touching, then there may be something wrong with the overall mechanism adjustment and much more complicated to get into.

M
The following users liked this post:
See 3 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi S3,
The headlight door does look a 'little' low, but doesn't really seem low enough to give you trouble getting the bezel off the headlight housing.

Do you sense that the bezel isn't completely free of the housing, or is it trapped by the opening in the hood surround?

Have you tried to take the other bezel off to see if that tells you anything?
Regards,
Alan
See 3 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:56 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

[QUOTE=See 3;1596192736]

I did also discover, in removing the chrome trim ring that PO had evidently stripped out the threads on the mounting cup (or whatever it is) that the lamp mounts into. He had a retaining nut on back of the top screw which holds the chrome ring.
QUOTE]

have you tried a bigger screw to see if that holds ? the cup is only sheet metal , nothing worse than a shaky light beam at night from a loose bulb !
See 3 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:55 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Old 12-16-2017, 08:20 PM
See 3
Instructor

Hi S3,
The headlight door does look a 'little' low, but doesn't really seem low enough to give you trouble getting the bezel off the headlight housing.

Do you sense that the bezel isn't completely free of the housing, or is it trapped by the opening in the hood surround?

Have you tried to take the other bezel off to see if that tells you anything?
Regards,
Alan
Alan, there simply is not enough vertical space to allow me to lift the bezel out. I didn't have the time or patience to take the other assembly apart today, but I think maybe Mooser's idea of the "up stop" needing adjustment could be on the money. If there is a way to adjust how high the headlight assembly rises without affecting the position of the headlight door when it is closed, then that's exactly what I am looking to accomplish.

Once I can get the bezel out I'm sure I can get a fix on that stripped out trim screw hole. The way I was working on it today with the bezel in the way you would need to have hands the size of a Ken doll to reach around back of that trim ring to hold the backing nut in place.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:28 PM
See 3
Instructor

Do you sense that the bezel isn't completely free of the housing, or is it trapped by the opening in the hood surround? Alan
Definitely the hood surround, the bezel is free, I just can't manipulate it up and forward over the hood surround.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

In case you can't locate the 'up-stop' in Moosers picture here another perspective.
If that screw is out all the way and you need more room to lift up
Go under the car and remove the 4 springs the cotter pin and pull #8 out.
You will then be able to lift the headlight assembly.
Attached Images   
See 3 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:50 PM
See 3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
In case you can't locate the 'up-stop' in Moosers picture here another perspective.
If that screw is out all the way and you need more room to lift up
Go under the car and remove the 4 springs the cotter pin and pull #8 out.
You will then be able to lift the headlight assembly.
Thanx, hopefully there will be sufficient adjustment in #5 left for me to raise the assembly far enough to remove the bezel.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:06 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I had the same problem. A slight adjustment to the 'up stop' was all it took to remove the bezel. It is not easy to reach. Search on "Headlight Surround Removal" for the thread.
I believe the stripped headlight and bezel mount tabs is a pretty common issue. Clip nuts might be a easier/cheaper fix than replacing parts.

Last edited by revitup; 12-16-2017 at 11:17 PM.
See 3 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:01 PM
See 3
Instructor

Originally Posted by revitup
I had the same problem. A slight adjustment to the 'up stop' was all it took to remove the bezel. It is not easy to reach. Search on "Headlight Surround Removal" for the thread.
I believe the stripped headlight and bezel mount tabs is a pretty common issue. Clip nuts might be a easier/cheaper fix than replacing parts.
Thanx, I did pick up some clip nuts today, that should solve that problem once I can get the bezels off and get my hands in there. Do you approach the "up stop" bolt with the headlights in the open or closed position?

Get notified of new replies

To Head Lamp, REALLY? How difficult can this be?

Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you can't easily remove the bezel, the mechanism needs to be adjusted upward a bit. If the headlamp aim is then too high, adjust the bulb adjustments to get lamp alignment correct.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by See 3
Thanx, I did pick up some clip nuts today, that should solve that problem once I can get the bezels off and get my hands in there. Do you approach the "up stop" bolt with the headlights in the open or closed position?
It's been a little while but I believe I got the best access to the 'up stop' adjustment with the headlights in the up position.
See 3 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Tape is your friend for projects like these. Make sure you don't mar that nice paint.
See 3 (12-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Head Lamp, REALLY? How difficult can this be?