C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening power steering belt for 1971

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 04:33 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tightening power steering belt for 1971

Hello, does anyone have any suggestion for tightening the power steering belt for 1971? Thank you
Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Follow the sequence detailed in the Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual. If you do your own maintenance on the C3 and you don't have the CCSM, you NEED to purchase one. That document, along with the 1971 AIM (Assembly Installation Manual) are absolute MUSTS for the DIY mechanic.

P.S. If you need to do this adjustment immediately, I'll attempt to type the procedure in a following post. Let me know.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-16-2017 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jbakyy (12-17-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 05:50 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Oh procedure, uhoh. My belt so loose and twisting, I got new gates belt. I may tackle sun if it is not to much of procedure. Do I need to take hood off? Thanks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Follow the sequence detailed in the Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual. If you do your own maintenance on the C3 and you don't have the CCSM, you NEED to purchase one. That document, along with the 1971 AIM (Assembly Installation Manual) are absolute MUSTS for the DIY mechanic.

P.S. If you need to do this adjustment immediately, I'll attempt to type the procedure in a following post. Let me know.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:31 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

It is a challenging job. There is the adjustment bolt at the 10 o'clock position and the pinch bolt at the bottom FRONT that has to be loosened. Then to tension the belt do NOT pry against the reservoir or the filler neck because they'll bend. Good luck.
jbakyy (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:14 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Can you please help with procedure? Thanks

Old 12-17-2017, 08:47 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jbakyy
Can you please help with procedure? Thanks
It is a challenging job.
Hoping that was a bit of good natured sarcasm.

https://www.howacarworks.com/steerin...ing-drive-belt

Last edited by revitup; 12-17-2017 at 08:50 AM.
jbakyy (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Here is the major part of the problem, back when these sharks were made, the V pitch of the belt was narrower than the new metric belts, and so the new belts tend to ride on the top of the V sides, not on the entire surfaces....you will see the metric belts ride lower in the V of the pulley, and tend to curve our the backside and wear hell outta the top edges

number one is to find an old SAE type belt, you have to ask and it's been years since I faced this issue....I dunno if they made anymore...

jbakyy (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:03 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,633 Posts

You really have to get this thing up in the air on ramps. Its the only safe way to get at the bottom bolt. Using a piece of one by two (1X2) stick, jam it between the pump and block and pry. There is no other way and its not rocket science. The wood stick will cause no harm. When you feel the belt is tight, lock 'er down, crawl under and tighten the other bolt, done.
jbakyy (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Originally Posted by mrvette
Here is the major part of the problem, back when these sharks were made, the V pitch of the belt was narrower than the new metric belts, and so the new belts tend to ride on the top of the V sides, not on the entire surfaces....you will see the metric belts ride lower in the V of the pulley, and tend to curve our the backside and wear hell outta the top edges

number one is to find an old SAE type belt, you have to ask and it's been years since I faced this issue....I dunno if they made anymore...

Thanks, I got a gates belt. So it is challenging or easy? Can someone please help with best procedure?
Old 12-17-2017, 04:33 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
You really have to get this thing up in the air on ramps. Its the only safe way to get at the bottom bolt. Using a piece of one by two (1X2) stick, jam it between the pump and block and pry. There is no other way and its not rocket science. The wood stick will cause no harm. When you feel the belt is tight, lock 'er down, crawl under and tighten the other bolt, done.
Thanks, so is it challenging or easy? Can someone please walk me through procedure? Thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 04:34 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Originally Posted by revitup
Hoping that was a bit of good natured sarcasm.

https://www.howacarworks.com/steerin...ing-drive-belt
Thanks, I'm starting to think it is challenging for 1971
Old 12-18-2017, 07:45 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thanks, I am still trying to figure out procedure. Do you know what bolts I need to loosen and best way to pry ps to tighten belt. Thanks
Old 12-18-2017, 07:50 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thanks, I am still trying to figure out procedure. Do you know what bolts I need to loosen and best way to pry ps to tighten belt. Thanks
Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
It is a challenging job. There is the adjustment bolt at the 10 o'clock position and the pinch bolt at the bottom FRONT that has to be loosened. Then to tension the belt do NOT pry against the reservoir or the filler neck because they'll bend. Good luck.
So I Loosen the 10:00 bolt and bottom front?? I think there is also 8:00 bolt. What is the best way to get to bottom center bolt and tension the belt? Thanks
Old 12-19-2017, 07:29 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Originally Posted by jbakyy
Thanks, I got ccsm and aim and it's still challenging to figure which bolts to loosen and the best way to pry or tension the belt. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Read post 8. Its easy. You are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Two bolts, loosen, install belt, pry pump with stick, tighten bolts. There are only two bolts on the PS pump. But you have to get the car up on ramps to access the bottom bolt.
jbakyy (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:56 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Read post 8. Its easy. You are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Two bolts, loosen, install belt, pry pump with stick, tighten bolts. There are only two bolts on the PS pump. But you have to get the car up on ramps to access the bottom bolt.
Thanks and I realize that, sorry. I'm starting to think the fan shrouding may not be stock because I can't see the lower front center bolt from under the car. Where's the 2nd bolt, in back of the pump??? I can't see any bolts except I think bracket bolts about 8:00 and 10:00 positions. So when I tighten the belt don't I want to push it towards left front wheel. I am having hard time understanding how using a stick between block and pump is going to tighten the belt. Sorry for being such a ps rookie and pain. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Tightening power steering belt for 1971

Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Read post 14, that's a different opinion
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 PM
jbakyy
Racer

I see why it's so easy for you after looking at your 500 hp motor. Thanks
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

No offense but I'm thinking your best option would be to swing by your local service station and let them do it. See if they'll let you watch so you can DIY next time. It'll be 20 minutes and $20 well spent.
jbakyy (12-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Tightening power steering belt for 1971