C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 - thermostat housing gasket or o-ring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by 60 SHARK
For this application, I use a paper gasket with a light coating of "Indian head" shellac, on both sides of gasket,,, has always worked well for me, , , i only use o-ring if their is a milled recess for it in eather the intake or houseing,,,

I also suggest drilling 2 small holes in the t-stat will help get any air trapped out from taking the t-stat housing off.
The following users liked this post:
Red Ryder (09-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

with drilling a small hole in the thermostat itself.

It allows the trapped air to burp out of the engine block while it is running so you do not have to wait for the thermostat open when filling it.

And this small hole does NOT effect any of your cooling proprieties at all. So no fear of your engine all of a sudden beginning to overheat.

DUB
Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 PM
OzBeast
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
with drilling a small hole in the thermostat itself.

It allows the trapped air to burp out of the engine block while it is running so you do not have to wait for the thermostat open when filling it.

And this small hole does NOT effect any of your cooling proprieties at all. So no fear of your engine all of a sudden beginning to overheat.

DUB
Couldn't you just fill the block with coolant through the thermostat opening before replacing the thermostat and housing? Then fill the radiator per normal.

Just wondering, I've never done it but I have heard of people filling the block directly, and if you've already got the thermostat housing off and replacing the gasket, why not?

I have a question similar to the OP, I'm fault finding a coolant leak and pulled my thermostat to check (it seems fine). Here in Australia I sourced the following gaskets and o-ring at my local auto parts store, but not sure if I should use sealant as well.

My housing has a groove for the o-ring, and I have a paper gasket as well which has adhesive on one side. The gasket sealant I bought is Permatex Fuel Resistant Gasket Sealant - 85420 as they didn't have the dedicated water pump/thermostat housing sealant.

Thoughts?

Last edited by OzBeast; 12-27-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

Based on the pictures, I would just clean the housing and manifold - then grease the o ring with dielectric grease and assemble the water neck.

I have always drilled a 1/16 to 3/32" hole in the thermostat for 2 reasons:
1 - to get the air out
2 - to keep the water moving, it lessens the shock of a closed thermostat suddenly opening and especially with AL manifolds or heads reduces the temperature spike / shock. It does not affect the temperature of the motor.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 12-28-2017 at 08:33 AM.
OzBeast (01-01-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
Based on the pictures, I would just clean the housing and manifold - then grease the o ring with dielectric grease and assemble the water neck.

I have always drilled a 1/16 to 3/32" hole in the thermostat for 2 reasons:
1 - to get the air out
2 - to keep the water moving, it lessens the shock of a closed thermostat suddenly opening and especially with AL manifolds or heads reduces the temperature spike / shock. It does not affect the temperature of the motor.
Dielectric Grease? Really? Thats for tail light / brake light bulbs and light sockets. I really doubt it will stand up to glycol and coolant inhibitors.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:16 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

YES, dielectric grease. It will not attack the O ring and it will allow it to properly seat. The grease is not for sealing.

That is the same reason it is recommended (by GM and other manufacturers) for the weather-stripping on the C3 T Tops, C4 - 5- 6 & 7 . It solved my squeaking when I run my C4 on a winding road / course. Solved the leak on my truck with the "chrome water neck" and now I can change thermostats without replacing the O ring.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:00 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

YES, dielectric grease. It will not attack the O ring and it will allow it to properly seat. The grease is not for sealing.

That is the same reason it is recommended (by GM and other manufacturers) for the weather-stripping on the C3 T Tops, C4 - 5- 6 & 7 . It solved my squeaking when I run my C4 on a winding road / course. Solved the leak on my truck with the "chrome water neck" and now I can change thermostats without replacing the O ring.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by OzBeast
Couldn't you just fill the block with coolant through the thermostat opening before replacing the thermostat and housing? Then fill the radiator per normal.

Just wondering, I've never done it but I have heard of people filling the block directly, and if you've already got the thermostat housing off and replacing the gasket, why not?
I guess you could if you wanted...But even when you fill the engine up and see coolant at the thermostat opening....there are air pockets in the cylinder heads.

Originally Posted by OzBeast
I have a question similar to the OP, I'm fault finding a coolant leak and pulled my thermostat to check (it seems fine). Here in Australia I sourced the following gaskets and o-ring at my local auto parts store, but not sure if I should use sealant as well.
If a person has a coolant leak....and it may not drip a drop of coolant but you are loosing coolant. That is the time when you obtain a coolant pressure tester and check you system INCLUDING your radiator cap!. I use my every time I get into the coolant system and I have found so many loose hoses that are high up on the system and will leak out pressure but no coolant.

DUB
OzBeast (01-01-2018)
Old 12-29-2017, 05:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

X2 . I use dielectric on rubber 'O'-rings...such as the large 'O' ring for a fuel sending unit. No leaks.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-29-2017 at 06:00 PM.
BLUE1972 (12-30-2017)

Quick Reply: 79 - thermostat housing gasket or o-ring?