C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 versus mild 454...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default 383 versus mild 454...opinions?

Im in the VERY early stages of planning out my next project. I currently own a big block, bored .060 over, with a semi dome piston. Compression is just slightly higher than stock, its nothing drastic. I installed a Roller cam (Straub), stock heads and a q-jet built by Lars. Its a snotty engine, but Im sure there are FAR more powerful 454's out there. I just dont have the time, money or know how to build one of those monsters. That brings me to my next question...

How does a 383 compare in terms of seat of the pants to a 'moderate' 454 like Im currently running? I like the idea of going back to a small block again because 1) parts are SO much cheaper 2) everything fits better 3) there are so many more available parts options 4)....that price thing again. I figure I can build a NICE 383 for the price of a budget big block.

How does a state of the art, high compression 383 with nice heads 'feel' when compared to a 'moderate' steel headed 454 like Ive got? I know the question is kind of subjective, but Ive never driven a 383 and have no idea how it feels.

Last edited by Scottd; 12-23-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:26 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Im in the VERY early stages of planning out my next project. I currently own a big block, bored .060 over, with a semi dome piston. Compression is just slightly higher than stock, its nothing drastic. I installed a Roller cam (Straub), stock heads and a q-jet built by Lars. Its a snotty engine, but Im sure there are FAR more powerful 454's out there. I just dont have the time, money or know how to build one of those monsters. That brings me to my next question...

How does a 383 compare in terms of seat of the pants to a 'moderate' 454 like Im currently running? I like the idea of going back to a small block again because 1) parts are SO much cheaper 2) everything fits better 3) there are so many more available parts options 4)....that price thing again. I figure I can build a NICE 383 for the price of a budget big block.

How does a state of the art, high compression 383 with nice heads 'feel' when compared to a 'moderate' steel headed 454 like Ive got? I know the question is kind of subjective, but Ive never driven a 383 and have no idea how it feels.

A big block can be a fire breather BUT it'll handle like a Greyhound bus in corners.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Unless its a numbers matching 454 car in my opinion build an aluminum head stroke sbc with a ton of torque and the car will be a monster. put as much weight saving parts on as you can. Aluminum heads, intake water pump, mini starter, headers. Local guy here has an 80 Vette, aluminum head 427 SBC stroker, made 585/585 HP/TQ not pump gas, but his car is verry fast

Last edited by Grumpy 427; 12-23-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:40 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

To me...you already own the 454...just upgrade it. Building a GOOD 383 from scratch isn't cheap either. Certainly there's a lot of low cost parts out there...but some are just cheap parts. Machine work is the same cost regardless.

The power is always in the heads. Ck out some of VortecPro's threads here.....he just did a 468 with iron oval ports, 10.3 compression, dual plane intake, solid flat tappet cam with only .560" net lift. Made 670 HP!!

His mild 496's in the 700+ HP range. The stouter ones are at 800 HP. Still pump gas.

Put some good heads and intake/carb on yours (assuming you have headers already) and you'll have an animal that will walk all over that 383 you're thinking about.

Stiffen front springs/sway bar to improve handling. A Vette has the engine set back so far as compared to other cars...it doesn't become a handling pig with a big block in it.

JIM
Old 12-24-2017, 02:07 AM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Very good question.
h!mm, taking out cost, weight, fitment issues, and drive line
​​torque rules in my style driving and engine sound and feel.

I just love the low rpm pull.
My brother likes to wind a motor out and turn high rpms.

A 383 is a nice size and can get very torque.
A nice dilemma you have. You can choose
Old 12-24-2017, 02:42 AM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

With a set of 3.73's a 454" will burn the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Awesome power but at the expense of lousy handling.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:09 AM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
To me...you already own the 454...just upgrade it. Building a GOOD 383 from scratch isn't cheap either. Certainly there's a lot of low cost parts out there...but some are just cheap parts. Machine work is the same cost regardless.

The power is always in the heads. Ck out some of VortecPro's threads here.....he just did a 468 with iron oval ports, 10.3 compression, dual plane intake, solid flat tappet cam with only .560" net lift. Made 670 HP!!

His mild 496's in the 700+ HP range. The stouter ones are at 800 HP. Still pump gas.

Put some good heads and intake/carb on yours (assuming you have headers already) and you'll have an animal that will walk all over that 383 you're thinking about.

Stiffen front springs/sway bar to improve handling. A Vette has the engine set back so far as compared to other cars...it doesn't become a handling pig with a big block in it.

JIM
X2 you can't build a 600 hp small block for what Vortecpro charges and you have all the brackets ,pulleys etc.. already. Add aluminum water pump,intake,carb then headers and it won't weigh that much more than stock small block.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:50 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I still don't understand why there is this misconception that a big block combo is so heavy and attributing to poor handling - I mean, all stock Vettes from this period unless they have some spring and damper upgrades are going to wallow around when cornering hard arn't they? An all iron Chevy small block in real terms is 'heavy' when compared with a Ford small block from the same period. An BBC combo is still only a hundred pounds or so more than the equivalent SBC whether iron or ally - its the same as the weight of having a small passenger on board all the time. The old saying comes to mind 'there ain't no replacement for displacement' (except 'power-adders' of course)
The following users liked this post:
BBCorv70 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:46 AM
BigBill94
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by roscobbc
I still don't understand why there is this misconception that a big block combo is so heavy and attributing to poor handling - I mean, all stock Vettes from this period unless they have some spring and damper upgrades are going to wallow around when cornering hard arn't they? An all iron Chevy small block in real terms is 'heavy' when compared with a Ford small block from the same period. An BBC combo is still only a hundred pounds or so more than the equivalent SBC whether iron or ally - its the same as the weight of having a small passenger on board all the time. The old saying comes to mind 'there ain't no replacement for displacement' (except 'power-adders' of course)
A 427 LS3 or LS7 will weigh 500lbs or so less than an iron head big block.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:54 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBill94
418lbs ('ish) for LS3 - 460lbs ('ish) and for LS7 so yes, certainly significantly lighter than an iron small block (or ally headed big block) but not that much lighter than 'old school' ally headed small block? LSX454 'small block' is an interesting combination for 'new school' power - but still 568 lbs
Old 12-24-2017, 10:23 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BigBill94

So now the nose is lighter.....how many folks will re-engineer the suspension system to account for it? How many have tires to actually make it handle? How many drive it that hard?

Same can be said for adding stupid power....it upsets the balance...and needs a supporting cast...but GM already worked out a good bit of the weight issue.

JIM
Old 12-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Im hearing arguments for and against. I will however chime in on the weight issue. Engine vs engine, a BB weighs about 150 lbs more than a SB. If that additional weight savings allows for a much more nimble small block......what happens when you put a passenger in the car? Do you loose the advantage because you now weigh as much as a big block car?

I know that weight loss means the difference in a race and tenths of seconds, but day to day driving I just dont feel like there is any discernible difference.

Ive considered upgrading the heads on my current 454 but there are several things holding me back. The first being the overall associated cost. BB heads seem to be running about 2500 bucks a pair, for entry level. Then there's my cam....it was specifically selected to work best with my old heads. So..... more $$$$ for a new roller cam setup. Lastly, Im pretty sure my 4 speed transmission and my rear end are at their limits already, I dont trust adding more torque to the current setup without more serious $$ upgrades.

If I ever start new, or build a rat rod from the ground up, thats when Ill be considering SB Stroker vs BB.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:51 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

It's not just the weight, it is where the weight is in the car.

A BBC C3 has a weight distribution of Front 52-53%: 47-48% REAR Versus

A SBC C3 with a weight Distribution of Front 47-48%: 52-53% Rear.

A 50:50% weight distribution is considered ideal for the street and a slight rear weight bias is ideal for road racing and traction.

Adding a passenger in a C3 with either engine has little to no effect on the weight distribution since the weight is added in the center of the car between the axles exactly where you want it.

In addition, the BB weight is both higher and wider in the front of the C3 which adverse effects the car's center of gravity adversely effecting handling......in the case of the BB.

With no financials considerations, the Stroker SBC with maximized aluminum heads, aluminum radiator, aluminum water pump, Composite rear spring, the aluminum rear Batwing diff for the 80-82, wins everyday all day for the ideal setup, X2 today since BB power and torque that is actuallly useable in a C3 and on the street can easily be achieved today with a SBC without the weight penalty, less than ideal weight Distribution of the BBC, and better center of gravity with the SBC......

Last edited by jb78L-82; 12-24-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
A big block can be a fire breather BUT it'll handle like a Greyhound bus in corners.
Nonsense.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Same Delima?

The low end grunt of a BB pulling an OD gear effortlessly is interesting!
I would have to agree that a 550hp SB w/100 lbs less on the front will probably get around any course better than the BB.
That being said, how much time will be spent on a course?

I think you could take #100 off the front end, alm heads and other parts.
Of course the SB can also take off some more weight too.

I took off my headlight actuators and saved #35 lbs.

You already have a BB installed and I have my SB.
For $2500 you can have some serious power w/no other changes until you are ready?

JMHO

R
Old 12-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Ok to start with what motor is in the car now? Is it a small block car or a big block car? Its not hard to get more HP and Tq out of a 454, and the fact you already have some higher compression pistons work in your favour. Buy a set of Eddy RPM performer oval port open chamber heads if thats what the pistons are you need to see what is there, and matching RPM performer intake. A solid lifter comp 294S cam has .245/.255 @.050 around .550 lift and decent drivability. An 850 Holley and 36 degrees timing and hang the hell on. Install BBC correct rate coil springs an aluminum water pump mini starter and headers. Shed as much weight as you can and you will have a car that accelerates and goes around corners sideways burning the tires. Both ways are going to COST MONEY ... The word BUDGET and CORVETTE do not belong in the same sentence.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd

First thing, what are you planning on doing with the car? That has a big influence on what engine configuration makes sense. Street use plus: straightline, road course, wax and shine, etc?

Just for TBTR, I suspect my big block has less frontend weight than the vast majority of small block C3s.

Get notified of new replies

To 383 versus mild 454...opinions?

Old 12-24-2017, 01:51 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

BBC with aluminum heads and intake weighs 40-50 lbds more ,but add tube headers and they almost weigh the same,,as a SBC,bbc's make way more low-end power,and when you open the hood -they look way cooler too

Last edited by dmaxx3500; 12-24-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Front End Weight?

While we are trying to lose a few pounds, who isn't. George took off #150 w/one piece front end, that tilts up.
I wonder how much time/effort and money that took?

Then there is Bee Jay who has had his car on a diet.
Hopefully they will chime in?

R
Old 12-24-2017, 03:07 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Oh man is it tiring reading the same old wives tales, mostly the same people. I will take that a Greyhound bus! You have the foundation for a nice engine already, owning the big block. Why start over and build an engine that will be more stressed doing what the engine you already own can already do. The handling differences can be overcome in setting up the car. 99 percent of us will never use the car in a way that we will notice a difference. Build the big block, and as time and money permit, upgrade the rest of the drivetrain. Something you would have to do anyway with a small block generating anywhere near what the big block can do.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 12-24-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 383 versus mild 454...opinions?