C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood insulation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:50 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Hood insulation

I got in my head a while ago that I would like to put that strip
Of insulation on the underside of the hood. It has 3 plastic pins
And metal washers that snap on to them. Does anyone know
What holds those 3 plastic pin on the hood? .thanks.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Weatherstrip adhesive
The following users liked this post:
JBrooke825 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi JB,
The 69 AIM indicates the adhesive to install the 3 pins was #81098.
There is a long list of uses for this material including applying weather stripping as FR indicates
Was it really weatherstrip adhesive?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-07-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:36 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi JB,
The 69 AIM indicates the adhesive to install the 3 pins was #81098.
There is a long list of uses for this material including applying weather stripping as FR indicates
Was it really weatherstrip adhesive?
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan , I’ll give it a try .
Old 01-07-2018, 05:30 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Alan, why couldn't those pins been set in place in the bottom of the mold just before either the upper half of the mold was installed or fiberglass was injected in at the factory? Seems like those pins are really on there strong. I ended up taking a Dremel Tool and grinding them off.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-07-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Alan, why couldn't those pins been set in place in the bottom of the mold just before either the upper half of the mold was installed or fiberglass was injected in at the factory? Seems like those pins are really on there strong. I ended up taking a Dremel Tool and grinding them off.
What are you using for hood insulation, if any, once the pins were removed.?
Thanks
Larry
Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by red topless gator
What are you using for hood insulation, if any, once the pins were removed.?
Thanks
Larry
NOTHING! I never did see the reasoning behind the insulation (aka blanket). Evidently, customers back in the early 70s complained about too much engine noise. So GMs designers decided it was a good idea to put some sound deadening under the hood.
So lets think about this for a minute. We have a vehicle that is prone to extra heat under the hood. We have hundreds of forum members trying to figure out how to rid the heat. So we have a blanket over the engine. H-m-m-m-m. Might be a good idea in Antartica, but no where else. Rip that crap out of there, cut the pins off. Its not needed IMHO. And no, the hood paint will not be damaged even on the hottest days.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-08-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:17 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

NOHING! I never did see the reasoning behind the insulation (aka blanket). Evidently, customers back in the early 70s complained about too much engine noise. So GMs designers decided it was a good idea to put some sound deadening under the hood.
So lets think about this for a minute. We have a vehicle that is prone to extra heat under the hood. We have hundreds of forum members trying to figure out how to rid the heat. So we have a blanket over the engine. H-m-m-m-m. Might be a good idea in Antartica, but no where else. Rip that crap out of there, cut the pins off. Its not needed IMHO. And no, the hood paint will not be damaged even on the hottest days.
I agree 100%, just thought you had another idea to make the hood underneath better looking. I have been trying to find a decorative underhood piece but have been unable. There are plenty for C5s but not for C3s.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Yes, I hear you on the decor for open hood car shows display. Found a couple huge decor stickers using Google, but no warranty on the graphics regarding the heat coming off the engine. Likely melt if vinyl. So, I scrubbed the hood undeside, covered the fenders and hit the underside with a VHT flat black. Its not beautiful, but its not ugly. A whole lot better than some crappy, rotting, oil stained blanket held by pins.

Update: The only graphic I can think of that would look awsome under the hood would be one of those large metal, garage wall signs pertaining to Vettes. It would have to be bent to fit the curvature of the hood but the paint should hold up. I have seen some nice ones at a Hobby Lobby yrs ago. Try EBay.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi HU.P.,
"Alan, why couldn't those pins been set in place in the bottom of the mold just before either the upper half of the mold was installed or fiberglass was injected in at the factory? Seems like those pins are really on there strong. I ended up taking a Dremel Tool and grinding them off".

???
I don't know.
The 68-69 TIM&JG indicates the insulation was used sporadically, mostly on bb cars and those with a/c, and then disappeared.
Again... ???... why was it needed (what was it's purpose?) and what happened during 69 production that allowed it to disappear?
Regards,
Alan

The photos I see of the original insulation on cars show a much smaller piece of insulation than that shown in the 69 AIM. It SEEMS to be in a place (far forward) that it would cover the radiator and fan shroud when the hood is closed?
HeadsU.P. (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

some just prep the underside and paint it with air-brush scenes or just the same color as the car was painted. I am having a hood painted for my car now, have not decided what to do with the underside yet.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

NOHING! I never did see the reasoning behind the insulation (aka blanket). Evidently, customers back in the early 70s complained about too much engine noise. So GMs designers decided it was a good idea to put some sound deadening under the hood.
The OP was asking about how to properly reinstall the hood insulation that his car left the factory with. Being that the car is an original 1969 big bock tripower, proper restoration is the only way to go.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:29 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
The OP was asking about how to properly reinstall the hood insulation that his car left the factory with. Being that the car is an original 1969 big bock tripower, proper restoration is the only way to go.
No, OP wants to know what holds the pins on the hood. Says might restore.
And just because some idea was great 40 yrs ago does not mean its a good idea now.
I have seen videos on YouTube where those hood blankets burst into flames from a hot engine. You really want to restore and keep all that heat in?

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-08-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

No, OP wants to know what holds the pins on the hood. Says might restore.
And just because some idea was great 40 yrs ago does not mean its a good idea now.
I have seen videos on YouTube where those hood blankets burst into flames from a hot engine. You really want to restore and keep all that heat in?
I also have a 1969 big block that I am restoring to original as much as I can. I love the way the car left the factory and have no desire to modify it at all. If you want to modify your car, start your own thread rather than hijacking one where somebody that is interested in restoration asks a simple question.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:52 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

I did not hijack. Op asked a question. I answered. You don't know what hijack means. Move on, start your own thread or answer a question.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-08-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

I did not hijack. Op asked a question. I answered. You don't know what hijack means. Move on, start your own thread or answer a question.
Learn how to read. The OP asked "Does anyone know What holds those 3 plastic pin on the hood? I answered "Weatherstrip adhesive." He asked nothing else and just responded to Alan 71. I have no idea where the rest of you came up with this other crap. Why don't YOU take a hike...
Old 01-08-2018, 05:36 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

The car has ac and the compressor is right near the bottom of the hood.
I just thought the insulation would stop any fluids from getting onto
The underside of the hood or in the fiberglass. the insulation is only
A small piece. The whole hood insulation is a different thing. I will try
The contact cement. And see what happens. Thanks for everyone’s
Advice!
Y

Get notified of new replies

To Hood insulation

Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Learn how to read. The OP asked "Does anyone know What holds those 3 plastic pin on the hood? I answered "Weatherstrip adhesive." He asked nothing else and just responded to Alan 71. I have no idea where the rest of you came up with this other crap. Why don't YOU take a hike...
To "hijack" means to take over the thread, with ones own problems with ones own car.
Which I did not do.
You have shown your true self and I will remember your name.
Have a nice day.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

To "hijack" means to take over the thread, with ones own problems with ones own car.
Which I did not do.
You have shown your true self and I will remember your name.
Have a nice day.
Whatever. I could not care less. Add me to your ignore list, because you are going on mine.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

you are on my list also fat rat there is no reason to talk this way, if he does not want to read our posts, then don't, I mean this is a forum to get IDEAS, right???? nothing was said in the first posts about it being an all original car. Stop trying to be a bully on here.
have a nice day ,AND it said nowhere in his first post that this car is an original and going for the blue ribbon, how are we to know that??

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 01-10-2018 at 10:15 PM.
HeadsU.P. (01-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Hood insulation