C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valves: Matched per cylinder? Removing Valve Guides: Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Valves: Matched per cylinder? Removing Valve Guides: Good or bad idea?

Starting this thread to answer two different questions:

1. If I take all the brand new valves out of my heads should I ensure that I put them back into the same chamber, or does it not matter which one they go back into?

2. What's involved in removing valve guides and putting them back in? Do I need special tools? What's the risk of damaging them when removing them and reinstalling them? (If I decide to get the chambers coated everything's got to be removed.)

Adam
Old 01-07-2018, 06:33 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

if they are all new then they should be the same and no issues with matching guides.
if it gets to the point that stems are worn or guides
the usual procedure is change the worn part.

pulling guides is a pain.
putting in guides is a pain. heat heads and cool guides type
deal.

best left to a shop.
did they check worn?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:53 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Eccentricity is very important to the valve seating properly. That is established with the valve guides.
If you pull them they’ll have to be checked or the eccentricity re-established.

What coating you talking about.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
...If I decide to get the chambers coated everything's got to be removed...
IMHO: pass on getting the chambers coated.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
IMHO: pass on getting the chambers coated.

Seems like it could be problematic in the future if the coating isn't applied correctly, starts flaking off, or gets compromised somehow then you got a problem that may be bigger than the benefit it's offering.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R

Seems like it could be problematic in the future if the coating isn't applied correctly, starts flaking off, or gets compromised somehow then you got a problem that may be bigger than the benefit it's offering.
Coatings on pistons and cylinders has been in use in high performance engines for decades, I highly doubt that there is a serious cause for concern.

Now, I do agree with you that it is entirely not worth it for a street engine and especially with our relatively sloppy fit small block chevys. Add the fact that you would have to take the heads to a shop to have the guides properly installed this really isn't worth it IMHO.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:29 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I have a "max effort" torque and MPG build and my thinking was that 10-15 ft lbs across the RPM range and 1/2 to 1 mpg improvement would go nicely with my build and if i'm taking out everything except for the valve guides anyway, I should at least consider it.

I would go with zirconia thermal barrier or nothing; (Swaintech).

Sounds like removing the valve guides and installing them is a huge PITA and no way I want to get into that so the coatings are officially OUT.

I'm abandoning chamber coatings.

Adam
Old 01-08-2018, 01:25 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

"Worth it" is pretty subjective and varies by person.

Let's talk about what you stand to gain; the costs are well known then people can make an informed decision.

Note: Not all thermal barrier coatings nor the companies doing the application are created equal.

http://swaintech.com/what-to-expect-...ing-my-engine/

At 6,000 ish RPM you're going to get near enough to zero gain from anything except the thermal barriers.

For some reason I remember the test below being on a 305 Chevy, but I can't find that reference anywhere now. This is with the chambers and the piston tops coated.

With no modifications other than the coatings, the dyno pulls clearly showed the torque and horsepower curves were much better. Both curves were fatter in the lower rpm ranges where it will improve the drive off corners, and both curves were flatter as well. Peak horsepower was up 2% from 318 to 324 horsepower and peak torque was up 5% from 320 lb/ft to 335 lb/ft. In the heart of the curves, these numbers were even more impressive. At 4,500 rpm, torque was up 7% from 298 lb/ft to 319 lb/ft. At 5,500 rpm, horsepower was up 6% from 302 to 320 horsepower. Most engine builders will take full advantage of the coating by making jetting (or computer), timing, and lighter weight oil for maximum power gains. However for this test, we wanted to document and publish the gains that are achieved if the only modification was coating the engine. If the proper tuning adjustments were made to take full advantage of the coatings, these results would have been even more impressive.

Adam
Old 01-08-2018, 03:01 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Coatings on pistons and cylinders has been in use in high performance engines for decades, I highly doubt that there is a serious cause for concern.
I don't consider how long something has been in use as an accurate gauge to it's success.

Ceramic coatings for exhaust components has been around for decades as well yet somehow companies find a way to apply it incorrectly or poorly resulting in poor longevity or results.

The same could be said for pre-assembled heads, somehow places like Jegs find a way to do it wrong. Had Adam not taken the time to check things out his heads/ valve train would have not lasted long under valve springs with no locators.

So unless this is a race effort, then I would not agree with coating it.

On a street engine you want to build it and run it. Not have to disassemble it regularly to check or repair things.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 01-08-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:16 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Eccentricity is very important to the valve seating properly. That is established with the valve guides.
If you pull them they’ll have to be checked or the eccentricity re-established.

What coating you talking about.

I agree with the eccentricity factor. NO way would you not have to grind the heads after removing the guides! You would have a better chance of winning the lottery than the valves seating properly.

Dom

Get notified of new replies

To Valves: Matched per cylinder? Removing Valve Guides: Good or bad idea?

Quick Reply: Valves: Matched per cylinder? Removing Valve Guides: Good or bad idea?