C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions On Going Aluminum Block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

damn fine, damn fine.
jealous
Old 01-12-2018, 01:34 AM
Alu Rat
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course, today's heads will make a huge difference vs the GM heads of the 70s!

Last edited by Alu Rat; 01-18-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2018, 11:49 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Over the years I have become a fan of not spending for high performance unless I know I need it. Like how TCracing used a progressive approach and modest power goals at first to develop it for more power in the future.
I think to much advertising goes into performance parts and not enough information is available explaining how to use them and when to use them. Just to easy to "overbuild" a motor while overlooking something that makes it under-perform as expected.

I have never built a BB so just my 2 cents here.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:40 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Over the years I have become a fan of not spending for high performance unless I know I need it. Like how TCracing used a progressive approach and modest power goals at first to develop it for more power in the future.
I think to much advertising goes into performance parts and not enough information is available explaining how to use them and when to use them. Just to easy to "overbuild" a motor while overlooking something that makes it under-perform as expected.

I have never built a BB so just my 2 cents here.
Thanks but actually not planned! I have two C2s and I have wrecked both of them Race cars , while racing! Then I used the best frame and best body to put one back together, but wanted that to be a super killer track car, so in the 80s I got Guldstrands Muulti-link suspension, it had J-56 discs already, better engine, Tom's Differential rear end, etc.In the progression of events, the level of parts I installed got tapered down in all out performance as I decided to use it on the street, but still in race trim. I even rebuilt the wrecked C2 and was using that as a Hot Rodded driver! ! Also because I had reservations of having my good car out on track at risk! I raced with a retired race car group out here, after courting VARA vintage racing, out here back in the late 80s! I decided to pick up a good solid C3 and slate that for the ultimate performance goodies I had and put that at risk in wheel to wheel Vintage racing. . The whole time my Father (RIP) being old school and literally ridiculing my two cars! In actually the C3 was found to be a mostly pristine low 43k mile untouched car! So I asked myself, should I tear that all out! I even offered to co-build the C3 together and we take all of those NOS and great condition parts and freshen up his whole hot rod, but still leave the hot rod parts! Our Family is two competitive! Therefore I reversed direction and decided I would use the 68 as an event attending car, and then I went crazy on deciding to put all ultimate top of the line parts into the C2. I ran into a road block on the C2 with the California DMV has the C2 race car had no Vin or registration, so I began to transfer the identity of the other badly wrecked C2 (second and worse accident for that car) to the good race car, because I was going to also operate on occasion the Race car on the street! Then I Tracked down past Ownership research and by deciding to put the as born chassis back under the right cars after repairs, I had the true Vin and went back to DMV after creating the actual Vin and replicating the Vin plate and it worked! In the interim, I thought I would drive, use, and race the C2 as is and at the modest power levels, but I wasn't happy knowing I had better parts, etc so I took the whole car back apart as stated above to do the best of best of everything for it build! I was going to major one up Dad's car to shut him up once and for all! He passed away prior to that, unexpectedly. His car he gave to my Porsche owning brother as he did the best job as a son near the end of his life with a time of death transfer! I have talked to him about our Fathers car and we might make a deal, because Corvettes aren't his thing and I for years and years have been one of the brothers to drive his car at venues and events, on track days and track racing events to my Father's delight, even though I am his family competition! I think secretly, he liked all of my big plans for my cars, but he still thinks his car was the greatest Corvette ever to come off of the production line! It is a super cool history 1968 car, bought new Modified and 1969 Riverside Gold dealer painted, with black painted tail by Guldstrands consultation but sold by Dale Armstrong the racer from the Dana Chevrolet dealership where they both had worked! It is an actual Dana Chevrolet tuner Vette! It was special ordered and the Owner never completed the deal! They tricked it out and put it on their performance car lot and along came my Father! He went Thru an impound and arrest in 1967, lost his license and everything, and was forbidden by Mom to street race or Drag race at the track in his 1964 C/SP class no hood crossrammed car! Basically Mom made him sell that beast, but was still willing to let him get a replacement Corvette as long as it was new! Well he brought home a hooker race side piped Dealership tuner special! And in 1972, that got modified extensively further! Then autocrossed up into the 90s, then just the occasional race oriented appearance thereafter! So the aluminum block was essentially first built when I decided to not pursue the wheel to wheel Vintage racing, as the aluminum block would be illegal, but the retired race car group track events accepted it! I was using the car on the street too! I had great success with an Iron engine that I built up to 358 cubes at about 525hp, so I basically duplicated that build, but in all aluminum! And with that bought 12 bolt Toms Diff unit, a special built by Richmond Heavy duty 6 speed box, and went even more Radical race with coilovers, all heim suspension, etc. I pulled the car back apart mostly in anticipation of a full aluminum Diff case and to change the 12 point rollcage to Chromoly and removable or modular! I also had crunched that car a second time drifting to the end of turn #2 outside wall at California Speedway and broke my super large passenger side flares all up and wiped out the outer rim halves of my super rare and expensive Jongbloed racing rims front and rear at over 160 mph! Ouch! I was gloating looking into the rear view mirror on the poorly tuned Porsche 935 Turbo I had opened up ground on, followed by a Vintage GT-40 (real one). So on fixing the car back up, now the engine power is going up, but limited to old school 23 degree Gen 1 components like the 140 race solid lifter cam, GM Bow tie everything! Nothing that isn't Vintage!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-13-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Wow! That's quite a lot of experience there TC. I think you had to much fun with Corvettes over the years. Wish I could have built Corvettes and Big Blocks but life just had to many left turns for me. I started with a '62 Impala then a '66 SS. lived without a hot rod for a good ten years and life was miserable. Got back into it with a 70 GTO and like you I got to rebuild most everything. Motor, trans, even the manual drum brake cylinders - yes manual drum brakes on that 4000lb something car. Ya know they worked but the heat from racing would have killed them. Anyways the big GTO was a tight fit in my condos garage. Looked for a early firebird and found a corvette instead.

Anyways what I have learned over the years is that books are much cheaper than engines and transmissions. It pays to read reliable sources before I spend for expensive parts. I think a lot of information trickles down from the professional racing community but a lot of hobbyists make the assumptions they need the same equipment and parts.

So your post reminds me of when I wear a Lions Dragstrip tee shirt to the NHRA finals at LVMS. I get some good stories though Lions Dragstrip was before my time.
And I see Johnny Angles is still racing his 69 firebird at the nationals but with his daughter driving. Talk 'bout a family sport.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Wow! That's quite a lot of experience there TC. I think you had to much fun with Corvettes over the years. Wish I could have built Corvettes and Big Blocks but life just had to many left turns for me. I started with a '62 Impala then a '66 SS. lived without a hot rod for a good ten years and life was miserable. Got back into it with a 70 GTO and like you I got to rebuild most everything. Motor, trans, even the manual drum brake cylinders - yes manual drum brakes on that 4000lb something car. Ya know they worked but the heat from racing would have killed them. Anyways the big GTO was a tight fit in my condos garage. Looked for a early firebird and found a corvette instead.

Anyways what I have learned over the years is that books are much cheaper than engines and transmissions. It pays to read reliable sources before I spend for expensive parts. I think a lot of information trickles down from the professional racing community but a lot of hobbyists make the assumptions they need the same equipment and parts.

So your post reminds me of when I wear a Lions Dragstrip tee shirt to the NHRA finals at LVMS. I get some good stories though Lions Dragstrip was before my time.
And I see Johnny Angles is still racing his 69 firebird at the nationals but with his daughter driving. Talk 'bout a family sport.
I like hearing back about how or what led to guys getting cool cars! I hope I don't come off as a Corvette snob, but most of the time I run into guys with cool cars, I don't bring mine up unless people ask!
I have had plenty of rides with friends who had GTOs, Birds, and Impalas! All cool cars! I think the first event I em went to at Lions was my Dad racing his 64 Coupe and I have about 7 minutes of reel film of that at Lions! And we were there the last night, as we lived next door in Carson! Spent many a day and night there with Dad racing his Corvette, and our Station Wagon! The Station Wagon was so fun beating small block muscle cars! We had a 1967 Ford Country Squire with a 427 and then that got wrecked going to Sea World, so the next was a 1970 with a 429 CJ engine, but that blew up and was replaced by a 460, using the 429 heads and it had hooker side pipes and Ansen mags and BFGs because Greenwood used those! Even my Mom Drag raced at Lions a few times!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-13-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:44 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Well as for what got me into cool cars it had to be a ride in a Yenko camaro. Big brother got me a ride in the back seat of his friends Yenko just after the heads were ported (and maybe a new cam but can't recall). Talk about rock and roll! And with 4 people in the car. Also watched that car pick the front wheels off the ground during a burnout. Just a little but they would lift off.
Yes I will always respect the Big Block Chevy after that.

I need to shut up now and let the OP carry on with business.

Last edited by cardo0; 01-13-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling Yenko.

Quick Reply: Opinions On Going Aluminum Block?