C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good body glue adhesive needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:31 PM
vettebak
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Good body glue adhesive needed

Im looking for some advice for some glue adhesive
The wheel well came of the main body.
Only the top off it if you push on top of the side you can push it in.

If you look in side of the wheel well you can see they glued it in the factory
At the top there is a gab.

And I have taken out the front headlight brace it came loose on some places. Going to sand blast it and powder coat it.
I need to glue it back to the front nose

Do i need the prep the polyester ore do I need some sort of polyester to stick it back

Any advice would be apriciated
Would be nice if its from a brand like 3m
Old 01-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Leon,
There's an active NCRS Chapter in the Netherlands.
You might want to go to their site to see who their contact person is in order to find out what adhesive/bonding material they're using and what's available to you.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-25-2018, 04:58 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

We used to use the GM stuff for years, but even the aftermarket version of this glue offers very little manipulation time. (it cures pretty fast). So year ago we switched to SEM number 39747. The only issue is it takes a special applicator gun to use this glue but IMHO, it's well worth it. Just make sure you scuff with 80 grit on both parts before you apply it, if you do it'll never come loose again.

This glue works perfect and has a way slower cure rate which allows you to move panels and parts before it sets up.

IMHO,

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
vettebak (01-31-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 06:52 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Glue

Fusor T21 is a 2 part product that gives you 30 min. to adjust things and has a very strong cure. You will need a special gun to apply. The one in the picture is a pneumatic gun.
RVZIO

vettebak (01-31-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebak
Im looking for some advice for some glue adhesive
The wheel well came of the main body.
Only the top off it if you push on top of the side you can push it in.

If you look in side of the wheel well you can see they glued it in the factory
At the top there is a gab.
What Willcox and rvzio has mentioned will work. I use both products..the FUSOR and the SEM.

And I have taken out the front headlight brace it came loose on some places. Going to sand blast it and powder coat it.
I need to glue it back to the front nose
Keep in mind that IF you powder coat this support beam. That depending on what product you choose to use. SOME of these adhesives may require a very harsh grind mark to allow the adhesive to have a surface that it can lock onto. AND...many of these adhesives are EPOXY BASED....so even if you grind it to bare steel. As long as you make sure to cover the bare steel with it...the metal can not rust.

Do i need the prep the polyester ore do I need some sort of polyester to stick it back

Any advice would be apriciated
Would be nice if its from a brand like 3m
YES..as mentioned by Willcox...getting your fiberglass properly prepped to the recommendation of the adhesive you have chose in wise.

The reason you want to verify this and NOT ASSUME anything...is because...not all of these adhesives are the same and some adhesives may only want an epoxy primer to be applied to the bare steel and that is it...and ONLY doing a light scuff for maximum adhesion on the fiberglass panel. So it depends.

And as for 3M products....contact them and talk with them. It is NOT that I do not like them. I just choose to not use them even though I know they are good products. So...if you can easily get 3M...go for it.

DUB
vettebak (01-31-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:28 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I have a 3M factory here in Springfield, MO. If you get me a round trip ticket to Amsterdam, I will bring some over to you!

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 01-25-2018 at 08:23 PM.
vettebak (01-31-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts

Anything for a vacation....you may not want to come back! Blondes are beautiful this time of year!
Alex66 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

going in March for TULIPS & WINDMILL tour on Viking river cruise. Been before, from Amsterdam to Budapest, on Viking river cruise
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 PM
71yellow454
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

3M Automix Panel Bonding Adhesive - 08116 had a 90 min working time and a 6 hour clamp time. I have been using it for many years with no problems.
vettebak (01-31-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
going in March for TULIPS & WINDMILL tour on Viking river cruise. Been before, from Amsterdam to Budapest, on Viking river cruise

When you do the Viking river cruise, you will pass by right where I live... Mainz Germany at the Rhein River... I see the ´Viking ships all the time in the Summer... You will stop in Rüdesheim/Bingen what is also very lovely right in my neighbourhood

First Picture is in Ingelheim at the Rhein River, second Picture on the ship across the Rhein River from Bingen to Rüdesheim with a Buddy...
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 AM
Dusky
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Can't help but wonder about this too.
A lot of the products I find online are all 'American only' and will not ship to europe. Have been wondering how STRONG the glue/adhesive really needs to be.
I've fixed spoilers to cars before with tec7 ( even to a classic mini!) and could hang my full weight ( 80 ish kilogram) on it. If that would be good enough I'd use it without blinking.
It might not be removable though. Although that would be the least of my worries!

Get notified of new replies

To Good body glue adhesive needed

Quick Reply: Good body glue adhesive needed